The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 19, 2012, 12:43 AM   #26
JimDandy

I kind of get that.. it was not including the bench mounting bolts that made me snicker... I wouldn't want to give away $35 inserts, especially ones the other guy doesn't want at all i.e. large rifle which I wouldn't load much on a progressive.... But really why can't you include 2 3 inch bolts, some washers and a couple nuts?
Old November 19, 2012, 01:13 AM   #27
JimDandy

By the way, those of you who picked up the Ammo Plant... did you get an extra lower die activated powder drop? I have a full powder drop, and another plastic box like the bullet feeder dies come in with an extra lower. And I have an extra rifle insert along with the one that came in the rifle rotor, and a pistol insert and rotor.
Old November 19, 2012, 08:42 AM   #28
dickttx

My only problem has been with the shellplate allen bolt coming loose. Last week my primers started seating high. After going through things I found the shellplate was loose. I had already put a copper lock washer under it. Thought the copper, being softer, might work better than a steel one. I just added "check bolt for tightness" to my preflight checklist.
Haven't had it come loose enough for the spring to get under it. You may want to check your ammo for high primers if it was that loose.
Old November 19, 2012, 09:38 AM   #29
jmorris

Quote:
But really why can't you include 2 3 inch bolts, some washers and a couple nuts?
They don't know how thick of a bench everyone is going to use.

Also every dollar counts when price is your major selling point. This is why the base machine is pretty stripped compared to the D word presses.
Old November 19, 2012, 10:11 AM   #30
dickttx

Yep, normal bolts they would have included wouldn't have went through my 3" maple top. And probably would have been too long for a 3/4" top.
Old November 19, 2012, 10:14 AM   #31
hounddawg

just did the large fender washer and used a steel lock washer under it. Did not pull out the torque wrench but I doubt I used over 2 or 3 ft pounds to "flatten" the lock washer.

SAE torque specs on a 3/8 - 16 bolt is between 16 for a grade 1 bolt up to 47 on a grade 8