The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 12, 2012, 12:00 AM   #1
308Gunner

Worth 'trading up' a 1911?

I currently use a Kimber Ultra Carry II 1911 as my primary carry weapon. It's been a great weapon, with no flaws so far in. Now, since I've owned it, the Super Carry has rolled out, and, at the time I purchased it, I was also aware of the CDP, but sort of vetoed it due to costs. My question is; is it worth trading up to a Super Carry or CDP?

I also have no interest in what other manufacturers make a 3" 1911, nor do I want this to degenerate into a Kimber-bashing thread as so many 1911 threads do.

— George Mason
Old November 12, 2012, 12:16 AM   #2
orionengnr

If you like your Ultra, I would not trade it in. I would save up and add the Pro-sized 1911.

I started with an Ultra Carry (actually two of them), owned an Ultra CDP (actually two of them...seeing a pattern here?) and several of the Pro-sized Kimbers, steel and alloy.

The 3" Ultras are very easy to carry, and you can shoot one well if you practice regularly.

The 4" Pro series are easier to shoot well, just a bit heavier and more difficult to conceal.

For now, I have settled on the 4" alloy framed 1911s for my preferred carry...but my 3"ers aren't going anywhere.
Old November 12, 2012, 12:49 AM   #3
308Gunner

I'm sticking with the 3" for now, since I have a USP compact on layaway that'll fulfill a 'midsize' compact auto role. For me, it's really just if there's some facet of the CDP or Super that makes it superior, it's a worthwhile endeavor for me.

— George Mason
Old November 12, 2012, 08:16 AM   #4
vito

I had bad luck with a 3" UltraCarry and after three trips back to Kimber for fixes, it still gave me frequent FTE and FTF so I traded it away. But the size and feel of that gun was great. For carry my larger pistols seemed too big, so I bought a Ruger sr40c which has a 3.5" barrel and seems to work great, is easy to conceal and was half the price of the Kimber.
Old November 12, 2012, 10:14 AM   #5
EdInk

I wouldn't bother doing it.
Old November 12, 2012, 10:33 AM   #6
pilpens

I would not trade up.
I think that Kimber's best value guns are their base/lower end models.
Old November 12, 2012, 04:13 PM   #7
BigJimP

I don't see any reason to trade it ....if you like the gun you have.

If there is something you don't like about the gun you have in terms of features....it can be altered to suit whatever you like - for way less than what it will cost to trade, etc.
----------------
I second the thought that 3" guns are difficult to shoot well ...unless you practice a lot with them / vs the 4" options ...or the full sized 5"../ but I have big hands, and maybe that is part of the reason I don't like 3" 1911's.
--------------
I'm not a big fan of trading or selling guns ....unless you have really found that you hate the gun you have. If that's the case then get rid of it - and buy something else.

But I go thru stages....where I want to carry a 4" 1911 .../ then a 5" 1911 ..and then a 1911 in 9mm ...and then a 1911 in .45 acp ...( and once in a while I carry my 1911 in .40S&W....)_ ......so keeping guns that maybe you get away from for awhile ...isn't a bad idea...../ sometimes I even carry a Sig Sauer.....

So keep a gun - if you like it !
Old November 12, 2012, 04:18 PM   #8
WVsig

Do not trade a working 3" 1911 for one which might or might not run 100%.
Old November 12, 2012, 04:40 PM   #9
Coltman 77

Quote:
Do not trade a working 3" 1911 for one which might or might not run 100%
Very well said!

We all know how finicky even the most expensive 1911's can be, keep your current pistol and practice like hell with it.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old November 12, 2012, 04:59 PM   #10
dgludwig

Quote:
I third this motion.
Old November 12, 2012, 09:08 PM   #11
KyJim

Quote:
Anybody for fourths?
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old November 13, 2012, 01:52 PM   #12
temmi

I love Kimbers...

But

Why Trade up if the one you have is working fine?

If you gotta ask...

You know the rest

Snake