The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 19, 2000, 07:31 PM   #1
Peter M. Eick

While at a recent outing of fellow P7 owners, I noticed I was the only one shooting non-hardchromed guns. This caused me to wonder about handgun customization.

To a gun, every one of my pistols/revolvers is now back to factory stock configuration. I even replaced the original PPK/s grips because they were thinner.

My question is simple how many of you are running "virgin" guns (factory stock) and how many of you make modifications? If you do modify your guns, what do you do?
Old December 19, 2000, 08:04 PM   #2
WESHOOT2

I think my PT22 is kinda stock.
Old December 19, 2000, 08:17 PM   #3
WESHOOT2

Seriously, all my guns wear custom stocks or grip panels, aftermarket sights, some have hard-fit or drop-in barrels, some have custom finishes, and one (Caspian, of course) is custom-'smithed from gunsmith parts.

My wheels (besides the stocks and sights) have springs, or tuning, or something.

Every gun I own has been improved (yes, improved) in some way.
Old December 19, 2000, 08:24 PM   #4
C.R.Sam

Mo-cicles, cages n farams dont stay stock long in my family.
Old December 20, 2000, 12:51 AM   #5
bk40

honestly, I don't think I've ever owned any handgun that I kept stock for any length of time. Most common changes are grips, sights, finishes and trigger work.

Nuthin' wrong with a stock gun, but few fit me exactly as I want/need them to.
Old December 20, 2000, 07:03 PM   #6
Jeff OTMG

VERY few if any of my guns are stock. What gets done depends on the guns.
Old December 20, 2000, 07:24 PM   #7
JoeHatley

Peter,

I had to go look into my gun safe just to be sure, but I don't own a single firearm of any type that I haven't improved in some way.

Joe
Old December 20, 2000, 08:22 PM   #8
PT-Partners

Peter

As an FFL retailer and as a avid gun owner I find just about all will "personalize" the gun to the owner for a couple of reasons.

One, to fit individual needs, tastes, and job requirements.

Second, to personalize the gun. To make it different than the pack.

Most of the time the reason is the former. The latter is mostly cosmetics. Better looking grips for example.

Needs range from better finishes to fit of the grips.

For myself. I had to have mine refinished as I can corode paint my acid content is so high. I also am a full time LEO and the night sights were a must. I have had every gun I use daily and for competition made to my needs and wants.

The safe guns or non use all of the time guns don't have much done if anything at all.

Terry Peters

http://www.pt-partners.com
Old December 20, 2000, 09:02 PM   #9
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Some of my Glocks...

...have Agrip on them. I just don't soup guns up as much as I used to...
Old December 21, 2000, 05:11 PM   #10
ctc

I've got to agree with several previous posts - I like to make it "mine". Whether it's sites, a new grip or custom job from the famous "Joe's Kustom Gun Werks". Now, I have also had trigger jobs done to smooth the action up.

-- Chuck
Old December 22, 2000, 04:56 PM   #11
Peter M. Eick

Obviously I am in the minority for not modifing my pistols.

I really don't have a particular reason why not, I just tend to shoot them as is, and when they don't fit or I get bored with them, I just go buy another and put all of the old ones in the safe. It may be cheaper to modify, but I seem to be going toward just buying another one and see if I like it more.

I have experimented with different grips, sights etc, but I still enjoy the new gun more. I am hunting the perfect gun, but I have not found it yet. So far the P7psp has come closest for general carry, but it has a known rust problem, so the quest continues.

Thanks again for the comments.

Pete
Old December 22, 2000, 06:21 PM   #12
Greg Bell

Guys,
Although my P7M8 is hardchromed , I am loath to have my guns "smithed." Often I'll hear about somebody's awesome trigger and action work and I'll want to box up my gun--but then I get scared that I'll just be screwing up a good thing. In fact, I shy away from function-related modifications. I was loath to send my P7 off because I was afraid some jerk would chrome over the piston or cylinder and render my P7 a paperweight. I do, however, have factory NS on most of guns and laser grips on one of my 229s (again-non function-altering). I'm thinking about getting some AO Big Dots on my 239? Wait, I need wood grips for my P7 and a carry bevel package--aiggh!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Old December 22, 2000, 07:43 PM   #13
Johnny Guest
Moderator Emeritus

Let's see--
My old Commander came with plastic stocks and low sights and a fairly poor trigger. I could have lived with all these. I put wood stocks on it and high sights and had the trigger worked over. That surely qualifies as "a custom pistol."

Knocked the sharp corners off the rear sight of my first Colt National Match and carried it just so for some time. Does that make it customized?

I have an old S&W Military & Police that came with a silky smooth trigger. All I did to it was install a Pachmayr filler with the factory stocks. Is THAT customized?

Oh, wait--I have a Walther PPK .380 that is EXACTLY as I took it from the box, new, in 1966. Also a Bauer .25 auto. Both are kinda scratched and worn, but fully box-stock.

I tend to think that the closer to stock you can leave a pistol, the better off you are. You just might have to substitute another for it sometime. But, who can live with a hard, gritty, trigger pull? I guess all the rest have been modified as to stocks or grip adapter or, at least, a trigger job.

Peter, I started this reply thinking I was generally against modifications for working guns--Now I realize that while most of my modifications are very minor, they are present.

Best,
Johnny

Blog: Expert Witness
Old December 22, 2000, 11:21 PM   #14
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

I'm a Colt 1911 afficionado. I prefer the 11 over the 11A1 because my hand prefers the straight grip. So...And I'm picky about triggers. I have found that polishing the feed ramp improves reliability. Having the time, I commonly bevel the magazine well's edges. I've always liked the MMC fixed sights. And I like the Colt version of the extended grip safety. Well, Mr. Pachmyr's so-called "Combat" grips. There are a few other tweaks from Halleck's book that I do.

Outside of that, I pretty much leave 'em stock.

Art
Old December 23, 2000, 10:32 AM   #15
BigG

I buy what I think

are quality weapons, Colt Automatics and S&W revos. I equate a guy who modifies one of these roughly with an immigrant driving a lowered Chebby with those little fuzzy balls around the windshield.

Oh yes. I have put nicer grips on some. Mostly double Diamond Cocobolo or Rosewood. Other than that, my guns stay stock.

o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old December 23, 2000, 10:55 AM   #16
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

Horse Races

BigG, there ya go. That's what is so much fun about this country. There's room for you, and also tinkerers like me.

Without the tinkerers, there would be no .44 Mag, .220 Swift, or any of the variant cartridges outside of the '06 and the .308. Or 9mm Parabellum, .38 Spl or .45ACP...No .22 Mag, just .22 rimfire.

We'd probably still be driving flathead motors, with three-main-bearing crankshafts. No radial tires nor disc brakes... Hmmm. SCCA would have only Showroom Stock racing, and there would be no NASCAR or IRL/CART. And I wouldn't have had fun stuffing Corvette motors into Austin-Healeys.

Yes, I know I'm going beyond your intent. But I'm serious as a heart attack that you could stand to rethink, a bit, about what you said. This country is made up of immigrants and their descendants. Juan Mojado's kids can grow up and be home-grown Einsteins. Heck, one branch of my family has only been here for 170 years, much to Santa Anna's detriment at San Jacinto...

The one constant in this country is change. We are a nation of tinkerers, whether it be guns, cars or political ideas.

And I've been known to tell a low-rider joke or two.

, Art
Old December 23, 2000, 11:50 AM   #17
BigG

Right you are, Unk!

Yes, that was my version of a lowrider joke, and yes, I know we are all tinkerers, myself included.

It's just that I am so convinced that more guns have been hurt than helped by these kitchen table butchers, it hurts my heart. Nonetheless, since I buy my guns used, for the most part, I am very leery of a pistol with a non-standard triggerpull, extra beavertail, mag well, new hammer, etc. etc. If the guy took the trouble (not to mention expense!!) to modify it to where he liked it, whyinheck did he sell it????

I'm really not that much of a fuddy duddy, I just sound like one!

Have a great holiday season, all y'all!

o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old December 23, 2000, 02:10 PM   #18
Johnny Guest
Moderator Emeritus

There are mods, and then there are mods - - -

Have you ever noticed how difficult it is to locate a regular old 1911 with ZERO changes at a gun show? I know I have!

Once upon a time, I wanted 'most every new gadget available. Well, not EVERY one, but I started out with a Swenson ambi safety. This was okay, but a little large. So I started grinding on it, and after a time got it how I wanted it. I looked at extended slide locks, but luckily I learned how I really didn't need this, and that it can be a detriment. I never did like "full length" guide rods. I put in a snazzy recoil buffer, but noticed how often they went to pieced during IPSC matches, so took mine out.

Never did like beavertail grip safeties, nor the idea of pinning the grip safety out of operation.

I have a couple of pairs--several really--of oversize stocks--some quite pretty--Ivory, stag, sterling-and-gold, mutha parrul, etc. But I do FAR better with standard size stocks. And most of the time, I'm carrying the pistol to resolve unexpected difficulties, and, under pressure, I just don't NEED to ponder upon which gadgets I must manage during the crisis.

I do like to put a bit of a bevel on the mouth of the mag well. But it seems the height of silliness to bolt on, or worse still, to WELD on some huge funnel device. I don't plan to speed reload by throwing the magazine at the hole. The big funnels actually SLOW the reload unless ALL of one's spare mags have the BIG ol' bumpers added, or unless they are all ten-rounders. Not to mention that the add-on extends length of the butt at least half an inch, and adds a hard line which appears designed to "print" on a covering garment and reduce concealability.

Most 1911 type pistols now come with fairly nice sights, unlike the old GI-types which I regularly replaced for many rears. BUT, I always liked to put on high FIXED sights. If I am only going to shoot one load, why do I need to spend three times the money having adjustables put on. So: Fixed sights, sighted in with files and drift punches. Less expensive and not near so likely to be knocked out of adjustment.

Trigger mods? Sure, one needs a good, crisp trigger break. But no trigger shoes for me, thanks. And for daily carry use, I really want a trigger that I decide to press, not one that takes a notion to let go on its own. The bench rest and varmint riflemen can talk of trigger pulls measured in ounces, but I want to feel the trigger and make a conscious decision to press it.

Compensators? The less said, the better. I know, you need these to be competitive in certain shooting games, but I don't play those games any more. (Did you see the article a couple of years back where the guy had THREE-EIGHTY comped "For Custom Street Carry?" I prefer to believe this was a gun writer with a desperate need for an article that month.)

I still have the Swensen ambi safeties somewhere, but I really don't need 'em. Usually. Couple of years ago, I had reconstructive surgery on my right shoulder and had to carry left handed for a few weeks. I did have a Browning .40 with ambis, and that was what I used, for that special purpose. If I'd not had it, I would probably have gone with a revolver.

This is long enough, and I need to wrap some gifts. Best regards to all. Happy holidays.
Johnny

Blog: Expert Witness
Old December 23, 2000, 02:47 PM   #19
Incursion

Greg: what's wrong with hard chroming the outside of the gas piston? I believe mine was hard chromed, but I think the gas chamber was masked off.
Old December 23, 2000, 06:30 PM   #20
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

BigG, I'm in total accord about "kitchen table butchers". Around 1983-1985, a new crop of shooters got into the IPSC stuff at Austintatious. Two or three represented themselves as "gunsmiths". Plus, we had a few do-it-yourselfers.

For about a year or two, matches were almost worthy of selling tickets. Guns flew apart, or didn't fire, or wouldn't chamber. Had there been points deducted for profanity, about half the field would have zeroed out! I didn't hear of any going full-auto, but I wouldn't have been surprised!

I like the old Colt because it's so simple. I do the minimum "messing" in any particular tweak. I really like the grip safety mod, because my hand-shape gets pinched with the standard. I'm like Johhny about the sights.

But I don't even pretend to be any sort of "expert" on any other critter.

Merry Christmas!

Art
Old December 25, 2000, 03:14 AM   #21
Archie

The first test for modifying a gun, any gun, is:
"What am I trying to do?"
As mentioned, for years, I replaced the original sights on 1911s with high fixed sights. Usually I would clean up the feed ramp to ensure function, along with heavier recoil springs.
Couple years ago, I bought a H&K USP 40. The sights were good as issued and the trigger was decent. Function was never a problem.

Revolvers I carry for concealed work have the barrels shortened. Usually a bit of a trigger clean up. Rounded butts. Now a couple of companies make then that way, so the need to modify is less.

I do like "snazzy" looking grips. But only if they function properly. My H&K doesn't lend itself to replacing grips. Nor does the Glock. Sigh...

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old December 25, 2000, 12:25 PM   #22
Gewehr98

I agree with everybody this Christmas Day!

To BigG, I laughed so hard my ribs hurt when I saw a slammed-to-the-ground Dodge Caravan the other day. It had the gold spoked rims sticking out way past the tires' sidewalls, the chrome mudflaps tacked on at severe angles, neon glow lights underneath the chassis, and I could almost hear the wheel bearings and ball joints protesting in agony. At least, if the tire bead departed the rim during cornering, they wouldn't have far to sink, and could safely ground themselves on any speed bump or high crown in the road...

Art, ditto, without tinkerers, there wouldn't be Bullseye, IPSC, USPSA, IHMSA, PPC, and of course, my favorite, the Steel Challenge!

Archie, one of the first things I thought when kitbashing an old rusty lend-lease gun was "What an I trying to do?" Hence, my low-rider race revolver.