The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 27, 2013, 11:07 AM   #1
abherbitter

Taurus PT145 Mil Pro RTB Problems

I've got a brand new (made in 2011, purchased NIB in Jan of this year) PT145 Millennium pro. I've only taken it out shooting once and out of 100 rounds I had probably 5 FTF due to the slide stopping about 1/16" (maybe less, I didn't exactly have a ruler on me at the time) before it should and the firing pin then not making sufficient contact.

If I took the round out and re-inserted it in the mag and loaded it a second time, making sure the slide was in place, they would fire. And comparing the primers, between fired casings and FTF rounds showed the FTF rounds had a much much smaller indent from the firing pin. So I feel confident in my diagnosis.

It was cold out (Jan in AL isn't exactly 30 below, but it was chilly out) and after I got home I cleaned even more of the packing grease out of the slide than I had cleaned before firing (you think you have it spotless, but you never really do). So I chalked the RTB issues up to a combination of those two factors.

But the other night I went to chamber a round and when I released the slide it did not go all the way forward, stopping just a tiny bit shy and I had to manually push it into place with my thumb.

So is this a problem folks are having? Any suggestions?
Old April 27, 2013, 11:25 AM   #2
abherbitter

So now I'm sitting here with 5 fake (I bought some neon orange plastic .45ACP dummies because when I CC I like to carry with an unloaded chamber and the safety off so I practice drawing and racking the slide in a quick fashion) trying to replicate the problem and it's stubbornly refusing to malfunction for me.

Not sure if maybe It is more probable with a full magazine but the Wife is uncomfortable with me playing with any live ammo.

I do know the magazine doesn't like going in all that much when it's full up with 10 rounds. It will go in all the way, and stay in fine, but you have to push like you believe in it to get it to "click."