The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 13, 2012, 09:54 AM   #1
Kimio

Custom AR15, suggestions on parts?

Been doing some research and would like some suggestions on parts for building an AR15 from the ground up.

If everything works out and I develop the skills necessary, this AR will hopefully be rifle I'll be taking to competitions. (Such as the three gun competitions)

Currently I'm looking at building off of a VLTOR 12" upper (minus the BCG and barrel) and am debating if I want to go with their lower as well.

What type triggers would you recommend, what type of twist rate should I look at and is there anything I should consider when picking out a BCCG for this build

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Last edited by Kimio; November 13, 2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old November 13, 2012, 01:08 PM   #2
Achilles11B

There are lots of good triggers out there, but my recommendation goes with Giessele. A bit pricy, but worth it in my opinion.

I have BCM BCG's in both of my AR's and am quite happy with them. Slightly more expensive than others maybe, but they properly stake the gas key.

Twist rate will depend on the bullet weight you want to use. If you're sticking with 55gr FMJ, for example, then a 1/9 twist will be fine. If you are using something heavier, perhaps a 1/7 or 1/8 would work better.
Old November 13, 2012, 02:11 PM   #3
Marquezj16

Some good reading

http://www.americanrifleman.org/arti...t-3-gun-rifle/