The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 8, 2012, 09:11 AM   #1
brigond

primer stuck in shell holder.

What's the safest method of removing the stuck case from the shell holder due to the primer sticking out ? The puller warnings say not to use the puller when the primer is not seated properly .
Old November 8, 2012, 09:33 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Say what make your press equipment is and what the cartridge is. I assume from your puller comment that the cartridge is now loaded? If you have a collet-type bullet puller that mounts in the press, you can use it. An inertial bullet pullet might set the thing off (see this thread on another forum).
NRA Benefactor Member
Old November 8, 2012, 09:35 AM   #3
hooligan1

You have yourself in a bind fella, a puller wouldn't do any good, try this: 1. put on safety glasses. 2. put shell holder back in the ram. 3. use your full length resizing die and carefully while looking the other way deprime this case.
And now for my best piece of advice,,, don't do this again!!! ever!!
Old November 8, 2012, 09:46 AM   #4
F. Guffey

I will take liberties and assume the case does not have powder and or a bullet. That leaves me to assume we are not talking about a shell plate, that leave the case stuck in a shell holder mounted in a press and or an automatic hand primer like a Lee or RCBS. That leaves condition, is the primer wadded up and or folded. the only way the primer can be removed in push it back in the opposite direction it came in, if the case is open on top (without bullet) use a primer punch assemble (remove a primer punch assemble from a full length sizer die?) with the primer punch pin installed remove the primer ‘SLOWELY AND CAREFULLY!!, ware gloves and eye/face protection.

Unnoticed on shell holders, some shell holders designated for auto loading pistols do not have a milled cut on the deck of the shell holder, the milled cut allows cases with high primers to be removed, to prevent slam fires ‘again’ some shell holders do not have the milled cut, MEANING, a reloader can neither install a case in the shell holder it it has a high primer or if it has a high primer that was installed through the shell holder the case can not be removed until the high primer is seated and or driven out.

One day I started out to set a primer off, I do not, nor did I lack the means/tools for seating primers, bench mounted RCBS, auto hand primers from RCBS and Lee, old bench mounted Herters, press mounted Herters, shielded and unshielded primer tube systems etc., etc.. hammer in Lee and the one-at –a –time target models from Lee. Finally, I managed to mangle a primer in the RCBS auto primer, for a moment is was like one of those Bill Cosby moments, long story, I should have warned the wife.

F. Guffey

Last edited by F. Guffey; November 8, 2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old November 8, 2012, 09:50 AM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

I think he may have discovered the primer problem after seating the bullet. That could happen on a turret press using a powder-through expander die for charging or in a progressive press. In that case he has to pull the bullet to be sure the case doesn't burst if he tries to seat the primer deeper or to allow him to decap it. That's why I asked about the equipment. The options will differ some depending on what his setup is.
NRA Benefactor Member
Old November 8, 2012, 09:57 AM   #6
F. Guffey

“The puller warnings say not to use the puller when the primer is not seated”

I remember someone almost blew the head off their handle, they blamed the shell holder in the inertia puller. Direction and keeping up with two thought at once, the inertia puller is a puller, as in the hammer stops suddenly, abruptly and all at once, with nothing in front of the bullet it continues forward, thus, the inertia puller pulls bullets, back to not being fair, all my primers are installed in the rear/head of the case, installing a case in an inertia puller will not pull primers, if anything it will seat the primer, and there is the problem with pulling bullets from cases with high primers, seating the primer with sudden stops can set the primer off under some conditions.

F. Guffey
Old November 8, 2012, 10:02 AM   #7
F. Guffey

“I will take liberties and assume the case does not have powder and or a bullet”

I am not going to tell him what he should have said, again, I do not know how he got the case into that configuration, I do not know how he got from a high primer stuck in a shell holder to an inertial puller, I thought there was a conflict.

F. Guffey
Old November 8, 2012, 02:41 PM   #8
Strafer Gott

I hope you were re-sizing

When you deprime and resize in one step, if the deprimer pin only pushes the primer half way out, you can't pull the case clear of the shell holder. Either lengthen the pin with the collet holder, or screw the die in a bit more. I'm hoping this is the situation, you were decapping, and just haven't pushed the primer far enough.
Old November 8, 2012, 03:55 PM   #9
brigond

Sorry about that. Here's better information. I'm loading 9mm using a turret press. The cases were already deprimed and pockets cleaned in advance. After completing the bullet I could not remove it from the shell holder . Upon inspection I notice that the primer was (not flush) sticking out. This prevented the (completed) bullet from sliding out of the holder. So yes, the bullet is charged , crimped and stuck. I have an inertia puller that according to warnings says not to use this tool without a properly seated primer.
Old November 8, 2012, 03:57 PM   #10
jag2

I think what his situation is that while seating a primer using a hand primer like the Lee auto prime, the primer didn't go in far enough and thus he can not remove it from the shell holder. Been there, done that. I'm hesitant to just squeeze the handle harder because as we all know those handles will break and you can't buy replacements any more. Unfortunetly more pressure is what is needed. I bought the Lee ergo model and don't really like it but in this situation it works very well because the different grip allows you to exert more pressure, slowly and carefully. Usually happens to me with Wolf large pistol primers, they do have a reputation for being a little hard to seat and with a shell that has a tight primer pocket it happens. If you can't squeeze it any harder then the idea of removing the primer punch from the die and trying it by hand will probably work, just proceed very cautiously with all safety measures in place.
Old November 8, 2012, 03:59 PM   #11
hooligan1

What does a shellholder cost? pitch it and get another, might save a finger,,,, and one of those "Bill Cosby" moments F Guffey explained earlier.
Old November 8, 2012, 04:05 PM   #12
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

What I would do is put it back in the press, wear ear and eye protection and finishing seating the primer. I'd also hold a piece of sheet metal between my head/face and the press/cartridge. Go slow and careful, is what I'd do.

I'm not telling you to do that because I don't own your body and there will be lots of grief sent my way about telling you to do such an awful thing.

It's what I'd do though.

It's no more likely to go BANG! than it was the first time you seated it. It would be scary if it did and, yes, there'd be a bullet bouncing off the press/up in the die or where ever but it's not going to be like shooting it out of a gun.

So, I'm not saying that's the way to go about it, but it's what I'd do.
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old November 8, 2012, 04:07 PM   #13
brigond

I might also add that I'm certain the primer was seated . At some point in the process the primer popped out. I'm thinking that the case and primer pocket may have been defective.
Old November 8, 2012, 04:15 PM   #14
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

Well that would be very odd indeed, especially considering that the case was obviously functional before.
-The Architect
-----
Old November 8, 2012, 06:06 PM   #15
F. Guffey

“So yes, the bullet is charged , crimped and stuck. I have an inertia puller that according to warnings says not to use this tool without a properly seated primer”

Turret press? I have 3 turret presses, on my turret presses the turret turns, that leaves me with a shell holder holding the case, again, have bullet pullers, that screw into a press/turret, All I would be required to do is install the bullet puller in the turret, raise the ram and secure the collet to the bullet then lower the ram, I would have no problem clamping onto the bullet with an alternate/substitute to remove the bullet.

Back to the: “So yes, the bullet is charged , crimped and stuck. I have an inertia puller that according to warnings says not to use this tool without a properly seated primer”, If the case is stuck in the shell holder/plate how do you plan on installing/attaching all that gear to or in the inertia puller? If you are sure the primer is loose you are almost in control.

I am the fan of bullet hold, I want all the hold I can get, there is a maximum, clamping onto the bullet and then lowering the ram could be like pulling teeth, the press would be doing all the work.

The 9mm shell holder is the most common shell holder without a milled slot for primers. In the beginning the shell holder prevented the reloader from installing a high primer in the press, again, it was more about seating the primer when the slide chambered a round, after that with auto hand primers and progressive presses the absence of the milled slot was used to aggravate the reloader.

F. Guffey
Old November 8, 2012, 06:48 PM   #16
PA-Joe

Can you move the case back to the primer station and try reseating the primer?
Old November 8, 2012, 07:15 PM   #17
brigond

The shell holder can ne removed wither the stuck bullet. It can than be placed into the inertia bullet puller.
Yes , I can re seat the primer but I won't do this because it is a live bullet.
Old November 8, 2012, 07:17 PM   #18
dacaur

Quote:
Can you move the case back to the primer station and try reseating the primer?
Thats a terrible idea, dont event attempt it. Its highly unlikely that a primer will fire while being inserted, but its possible. the bigger problem is that powder likley trickled through the flash hole, filling the void, so it would be impossible to fully seat at this point.

This is a tough one. 9mm is too short for the easiest and safest method (raise the ram all the way so the bullet sticks out the top, grasp the bullet with some side cutters, and lower the ram. safe, easy, done.)

Personaly, I would put the shell holder in my inertal puller, go outside, turn my head, and bang it on the ground... not the safest way to me sure, but at this point, there arent many safe ways to go..... Of course if you want to be 100% safe and you are willing to wait you could get one of these http://www.midwayusa.com/product/225...ed-shellholder and use the method I outlined above.... (or see if you can get one localy)
Old November 8, 2012, 07:27 PM   #19
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur
Thats a terrible idea, dont event attempt it. Its highly unlikely that a primer will fire while being inserted, but its possible. the bigger problem is that powder likley trickled through the flash hole, filling the void, so it would be impossible to fully seat at this point.
Knowing what powder it is would likely alleviate those fears. A great many powders wouldn't fit down a flash hole.

Personally, I'd feel safer carefully and slowly reseating the primer than taking it out and using an inertial puller.
-The Architect
-----
Old November 8, 2012, 07:30 PM   #20
FrankenMauser

I'm a little late to the thread, so most of these options have been covered. But... I'll list them again.

1. Buy a collet type bullet puller, if it's a jacketed bullet. (great tool to have around, anyway)
2. Pull the bullet.
3. Scoop/dig/dump/blow the powder out.
4. Run the case through the sizing die, to remove the primer.

If it's a lead bullet, run the case up through the top of the press (with no die in the hole), grab the bullet with some pliers/cutters, and lower the press ram. It may be tricky with 9mm, but should be doable.
Finish with steps 2-4, above.

Or, do what hooligan suggested:
Quote:
What does a shellholder cost? pitch it and get another, might save a finger,
Old November 8, 2012, 08:32 PM   #21
brigond

I got it !

After waiting the day for all your responses , I revisited the issue . my intention was to remove the bullet using the turret and cutter / pliers Method. if this did not work , I was going to purchase an on press puller. Since the primer was sticking out pretty far it literally just fell out ."Go figure " I discarded both the primer and the case. I can't find the primer . The little bastard got away. I really doubt that I did not
press hard enough while seating the primer . I will be purchasing an on press puller providing that it works with lead bullets . Actually, I'll buy 1 either way .Thanks again
Old November 8, 2012, 09:16 PM   #22
wncchester

"the bullet is charged , crimped and stuck"

Just a point for clarity of better communications; a bullet doesn't get charged, bullets get seated. A cartridge is not a bullet.
Old November 8, 2012, 09:50 PM   #23
Edward429451

Quote:
I will be purchasing an on press puller providing that it works with lead bullets .
The RCBS press mount collet puller won't. If you find a brand that will, please post back the info for us lead boolit guys.
Old November 8, 2012, 10:25 PM   #24
dacaur

good

Last edited by dacaur; November 9, 2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old November 8, 2012, 10:45 PM   #25
FrankenMauser

Neither the Hornady or RCBS collet pullers work well (if at all) with lead bullets. You still need an inertia puller for those (and jacketed bullets that don't let you get a grip with the collets).

But, for the average jacketed bullet, they're fantastic. I think the Hornady version is the best, but it's just personal preference.