The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 9, 2012, 07:15 PM   #1
grubbylabs

AR- what can I expect to spend

A friend is looking to build or buy one and neither of us have any experience with this platform so we are not sure what kind of budget we should expect or which manufacturers to avoid or look at. Not sure if it is cost effective to build one or just buy it out right. We don't really want any thing extravagant we just want simple and reliable.

Thanks for your input.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old November 9, 2012, 07:54 PM   #2
Metal god

I can say with out a doubt you can get a good reliable AR for well under $1,000 . Easy $900 out the door . PSA has some good stuff right now http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...te-armory.html

your LGS should have some S&W M&Ps , Bushmaster for under $1,000 and the M&P sport is good for about $700 ish out the door

I'm also starting to have real respect for Del-Ton ECO 316 . I have one and have been running it pretty hard lately and it operates great . Paid $850 out the door with the Magpul furniture ( forward grip and rear sight not included)

I built this one for just over $1,000 but it took awhile waiting for the good deals to come along and the price of the tools to build it are not included ( another $150 ). PSA lower , Del-ton upper , YHM free floated hand gaurd , CTR stock , hogue grip and more .

It's almost like I've said this very thing before Maybe I should just copy and paste from now on

It's not everybody that has the problem

Last edited by Metal god; November 9, 2012 at 08:01 PM.
Old November 9, 2012, 10:31 PM   #3
allaroundhunter

I got a Doublestar Star 15 carbine that has had about 5,000 rounds through it. Not a single problem, and it shoots MOA at 100 yards with cheap ammo. I will also add, that the stock trigger is much better than any other stock AR trigger that I have felt. It is actually a well-discernable two stage. As soon as you feel the added weight of the second stage, the trigger breaks; hard to beat that...

Price? $650

I would be willing to pay much more for another one, but I can't find anywhere that can actually keep them in stock!

ETA: Nvm, just found one!

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...os.+Stock+5.56
Old November 10, 2012, 10:25 AM   #4
tobnpr

You're in the bolt action section...
Old November 10, 2012, 07:07 PM   #5
chris in va

Yup.

But anyway, my Sport cost $630 and has been great. People report nearly 1moa with handloads. All I know is it keeps chugging away with my reloads, 3200 so far. Of course I thoroughly clean it after every range session.
Old November 10, 2012, 10:51 PM   #6
grubbylabs

Quote:
You're in the bolt action section...
That is why the forum gods created "mods" They have the power to delete and move things around as they see fit.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)