The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 7, 2012, 11:12 AM   #1
steven07

Kahr PM40 issues

Last week I was in my local gun store and came across a used Kahr PM40 in great condition and after a little haggling I was able to leave with the gun under 500 just as I was hoping. I have recently been looking for a replacement carry gun because even though I love my LCR 357 I am a small framed guy and it just did not fit the niche I was looking for. After a little research I was almost set on the Kahr CW9 but after stumbling across this deal I said what the hell.
While keeping in mind I have only had the opportunity to put about 25 rounds through the gun it seems to shoot about 3" low consistently. Figuring it must be something I am doing wrong I handed it to my buddy who put another 2-3 mags through it and had the same results.
The only two theories that I have been able to put together is that 1 the gun is still very new and Kahr does recommend a 200 round break in periond and 2 this gun has a match grade barrel and I am wondering if it might perform better with a different ammo. That day we were using Winchester 165g FMJ so on the way home I picked up a 20pk of the 135g Federal Hydra-shock low recoil JHP to see if that makes any difference tomorrow.
On another note the sights on the gun are factory sights and not nite sights.
any suggestions???
thanks,
steven
Old November 7, 2012, 11:34 AM   #2
JFootin

If you are not a member yet, join the Kahrtalk Forum. There is a wealth of info there in the stickies at the top of the New Member Section and a bunch of very knowledgeable guys there to help you. Really a great and friendly forum, IMO.
Old November 7, 2012, 05:32 PM   #3
AH.74

I recently bought a used PM9 off a forum member here and it took me a couple of sessions shooting it to get used to the trigger, but once I did I started improving my accuracy. I too was shooting low.

I'd say give it a little more time, try some other ammo, see what happens.

AFA the night sights, I ordered some Trijicons off of Kahr's web site and they shipped them quickly.
Old November 8, 2012, 05:17 AM   #4
kcub

Heavier, slower bullets should impact higher as it will take slightly longer to exit the barrel which will be rising under recoil.

Try some 180's.

I proved this concept in reverse. I have a Ruger Bearcat that hits high. With hyper velocity .22 ammo, it is much closer to where the fixed sites are.
Old November 8, 2012, 03:04 PM   #5
steven07

I appreciate everyone's responses... went to the range for an hour this morning and put another 5 mags through it and it was the trigger that was throwing me off. Out of the ten or so hand guns I own... seven of them are glocks so getting used to this trigger is going to take some time. I did shoot a few more mags of that winchester and as I crept closer to the X I finished off with a mag of that federal hydra-shok and put 3/5 in the bulls eye. thanks again for your input