The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 5, 2012, 06:25 PM   #1
tobnpr

Can the Ruger LC9 safety lock self-engage?

Sent my wife and older son the the indoor range so they could both get some trigger time (unfortunately, I had the "work" thing...)

I got a call shortly after that my wife's LC0-which is her EDC- had malfunctioned and the trigger would not operate the hammer. Apparently, one of the range employees looked it over, and said we were going to have to send it back to Ruger.

I broke it down when I got home, couldn't figure it out until I read in the manual that the safety lock disengages the trigger...

Now, we had never used the trigger lock- to my knowledge, anyway...

A quick 1/4 turn with the key, and voila- problem solved...

So, either one of us has amnesia and used the key to engage the trigger disconnect- or, it self-engaged, somehow...which would not be a good thing on a self-defense weapon.

Studying the schematic and operation of this is above my pay grade- so can someone assure me that it would be impossible for this mechanism to become active, disengaging the trigger, unless intentionally done with the key?

I'd much rather know that I somehow did something stupid, rather than realize there is a possibility the weapon might not go "bang"...
Old November 5, 2012, 07:47 PM   #2
Stevie-Ray

Maybe a call to Ruger will answer this question without the need to send it in? Had it been fired before this?

My lock was engaged from the factory on my HKUSPC. Only time I've ever used it.
Old November 5, 2012, 11:50 PM   #3
weblance

700 rounds thru my LC9 and never had this happen. I read all the LC9 threads I see, and have never heard of anyone else having this problem. The LC9 is a pretty snappy pistol, if recoil was causing it, and it was a design flaw, I would have thought it would show up a little more, in other owners guns. Since 9mm ammo is cheap, I would go buy a few boxes of FMJ and spend a few hours at the range. Run 2-3-400 rounds through it and if it doesnt happen again, I wouldnt worry.
Old November 6, 2012, 10:39 AM   #4
hoytinak

Really just wanna suscribe to this thread to watch it.

I carry a LC9 daily and have prolly 4000 rounds through it without a single problem. I've even shot some pretty heavy +P+'s and it's never locked up. That said, I'd never used the lock once (heck, I don't even use the thumb safety and took out the mag disconnect). Even thought about taking it apart and putting a drop of red loctite on the internal lock "just in case".
Old November 6, 2012, 01:06 PM   #5
DPris
Member Emeritus

Did the gun fail to operate AT ALL at the range, or did it stop functioning after firing rounds?

Nobody has previously reported an inadvertent Ruger lock self-activation to my knowledge.
Denis
Old November 6, 2012, 06:50 PM   #6
tobnpr

Failed to operate at all...
I forgot to consider that I did clean the weapon after her last outing; but no way would I have locked the trigger mechanism. The two keys were still sealed in the factory bag, and I would have had no reason to do so. The gun lives in her purse during the day, and on the nightstand at night.

But, this does raise another possibility that the lock mechanism somehow engaged during re-assembly, but I don't see how.

Lesson learned, and shame on me- for not checking for proper function (dry fire) after cleaning and re-assembly.

Not sure that I'd get a straight answer from Ruger if I called (this would be a defect) to ask if they are aware of circumstances where this could happen but I'll give it a shot.

Meanwhile, I'd still be interested in hearing from anyone with the necessary smithing knowledge capable of studying the schematic and the workings of the mechanism as to whether they feel it would be possible for that safety to rotate the necessary 1/4 turn to disengage the trigger, without the key provided....
Old November 6, 2012, 08:20 PM   #7
DPris
Member Emeritus

If it functioned before you cleaned it & didn't after you cleaned it, my money would be on something you did during reassembly.
Denis
Old November 6, 2012, 08:53 PM   #8
orionengnr

Subscribing, because:
a) I know someone who carries an LC9 every day, and;
b) I know someone who (several years ago) had his S&W j-frame revolver lock itself while dry firing.

Two entirely different handgun designs, and I know nothing of how the Ruger's lock is designed, situated or operated. But, if this happens a few more times it (for me) calls into question the entire concept of a built-in lock.