The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 25, 2012, 06:13 PM   #1
USA SHARK

+P Ammo for XDm

Hi all,

I just saw a thread on +P ammo, but had difficulty replying. So I am starting another thread with a question. I just bought a XDm 9mm and ordered ammo from SGAmmo. Got a good price, but am concerned it may not be right for my gun. The ammo is:

9mm NATO Winchester Ranger 124 grain FMJ +P

Thoughts? Will this be a problem for the XDm?

Thanks.
Old November 25, 2012, 06:26 PM   #2
BullseyePrecision

I doubt you will have any problems. I have an xdm and eats everything I feed it.
Old November 26, 2012, 12:13 PM   #3
tahunua001

the XD and XDM were both manufactured with Nato ammo in mind. many manufactures marks their 9mm Nato as +P because it has higher pressures than standard 9mm para or 9x19mm. even though these calibers are all interchangeable some guns can not handle the extra pressures of Nato Spec ammo over time.

FWIW, the XDM has been proven several times to handle +P+ so I wouldn't worry about 9mm nato ammo.
Old November 26, 2012, 09:20 PM   #4
USA SHARK

Thanks Tahunua! I'm looking forward to trying it. Do you know if the +p ammo will make the recoil harder? My wife wanted the 9mm because the recoil wasn't as strong as my .40
Old November 26, 2012, 09:30 PM   #5
.40cal

I have shot this exact round through my Glock and had zero problems. The XD series pistols are well made firearms also and will take what ever you give them and then some.

That being said, I wouldn't shoot it all day everyday for the next year either. You will likely be replacing worn parts before you would have otherwise. But if its a major malfunction you're worried about, you dont need to worry. . .get what I'm saying?

- and yes, the recoil is "snappier" Not bad though.
Old November 27, 2012, 01:52 AM   #6
tahunua001

the higher velocities will make the recoil a bit snappier but personal experience with the XD and XDMs shows that recoil management(despite the high bore axis) is actually quite nice. I have never done a side by side comparison between them but I believe that the XDM handles recoil a little better than the SR series so even if it was an XDM40 compact you would(in theory) still have more manageable recoil.

the biggest thing you'll notice with +P is louder report...don't forget earplugs.