The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 9, 2012, 03:11 AM   #26
uradaisyifudo

Davkul,
my 1st handgun was a cz 75 p-06 in. 40 and I really like it, it seems to love eating whatever I feed it and is very controllable/easy to get back on target shot after shot. I know nothing about the other gun you are considering but I will say I have enjoyed the. 40 cal.
Old November 9, 2012, 09:43 AM   #27
MP9

I have a m&p 9.. it was my first handgun. I really like, at beginning I didnt know which to choose. then I bought a glock 19 and the m&p shield(still keep and love my m&p FS)

The CZ should be a good option as well, I havent shoot one yet. But they are quality guns.

The problem with those guns is the aftermarket parts if you later decide to upgrades some parts.

My advice will be start with a 9mm. As a new shooter probably you will want to shoot a lot and need practice. the 9 will be cheaper. of course, if money is not a factor then forget my advice.

Try to rent both, and then decide which one do you like better and "feel" better. the problem with this is when one is a new shooter one doesnt know how to shoot properly.

good luck

PS: dont worry, whatever gun you pick, it will no be the first, you will get both in any other hhahhaahaha
Old November 9, 2012, 12:14 PM   #28
pgdion

But if you pick carefully, your 1st gun may still be your favorite years later. Mine still is, my first gun (center fire) was the 92FS, it's still by far my favorite of all guns I've shot.

Picking carefully and doing your research like this and your first gun should at least end up being a keeper. Just make sure you get what you really want. I hemmed and hawed a bit about trying to save some money by looking at clones and other models. But in the end decided I really wanted the 92FS and so I waited and spent the extra money and got what I really wanted. I never regretted doing that.
Old November 9, 2012, 12:35 PM   #29
Roland Thunder

Ditto on the 9mm for beginners. Ammo is cheaper = more practice. You could have one magazine full of 115gr FMJ for target use and another one with 147gr +p hollow points for home defense. 9mm+p ammo is about as efective as 40S&W for defense purposes.

Since you are debating between an M&P 40 and CJ P-07 in 9mm, why not compromise and get an M&P 9.
Old November 9, 2012, 06:17 PM   #30
S_Constitutionist

There is very little difference between 9mm, .40, and .45 when using the latest and greatest defensive ammo.

Pick one that you like and shoot well. I feel well served by 9mm, but I've been known to carry .45 as well.

Your comfort, familiarity, and training all matter much more than which service caliber you are carrying!
Old November 9, 2012, 06:46 PM   #31
manta49

Quote. For some reason I have it stuck in my head that a 9mm is not an effective caliber.

The 9mm used by NATO, Used by the vast majority of army and police forces world wide. Used by the SAS, and other special forces, The most widely used tried and tested handgun ammo in history. And you think 9mm is not a effective caliber.

As for shooting trough a car window something that you are very unlikely ever to have to do. Below a incident that happened here a few years ago.

Police officer one fired two shots. The first went through the windscreen and the second through the driver's window.

Mr Colwell got out of the car and collapsed.

Despite the efforts of medical personnel, he was pronounced dead at the scene.

Last edited by manta49; November 9, 2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old November 11, 2012, 05:57 PM   #32
Davkul

Got a chance to shoot at least the CZ 75 B. I really liked it.

Also got to hold the P-07 and oh man I cannot wait to buy her.
Old November 11, 2012, 06:08 PM   #33
Colorado308shooter

I'd go with something along the lines of the SR9-C, its very easy to shoot and is a very nice gun. I've had mine for about 1.5 years now and I love it.

I enjoy shooting the SR9-C much more than my XD-40, even for me, an experienced handgun shooter, the .40 is hard to shoot fast and accurate.
Old November 11, 2012, 08:19 PM   #34
TheSpoon

You don't usually find unsolicited praise for the brand, but check out Bersa. Affordable, reliable, in .380, 9mm and .45 calibers.

I have a Bersa Thunder .380 myself and I enjoy the hell out of it.
Old November 11, 2012, 10:08 PM   #35
TurkeyOak

I answered the DA/SA part but didnt voice my opinion.
You didnt ask about Rugers but several co-workers have bought the Ruger SR9c and it is great. A great gun for a great price (I have a P89, 22/45, and LCP Ruger) the 9c is compact for carry.
#1 for Bersa. The .380 Thunder is next on my list but im waiting for the 13+1 version.
Old November 11, 2012, 11:06 PM   #36
Bird3897

My vote for M&P in 9mm.
Single Six
Old November 12, 2012, 10:52 AM   #37
RBid

9mm is a great round. Much of the "go .45" sentiment originates with military types, who are/have been stuck with ball ammo. Hollow points change everything. 9mm is my first choice, as long as modern defensive loads are available. If I were stuck with FMJ, I'd carry a .45.

My .02.
Old November 14, 2012, 12:25 PM   #38
johnwilliamson062

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...ighlight=first

I highly recommend you go with a 22 to start. The cost savings makes it a no brainer. You maybe saying, 'sure I can save money, but i can afford $100 of ammo a week so I will just get a centerfire and shoot WWB out of it for practice." Id rather practice the basics/ergonomics with a matching 22lr then buy a box or two of GOOD defensive ammo to have some real training. Look at a matching set if you want.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...18#post4940918
Old November 14, 2012, 12:33 PM   #39
Jay24bal

Stonewall

DavKul - I see in your signature that you are in Strongsville. Stonewall Range in Broadview Heights carries both guns you are looking for and I am fairly certain they have M&Ps you can rent to try out. Their prices are a tad high for purchases, but it is the best place around to rent guns from. Also, check out Fin,Feather & Fur in Middleburg Heights as their prices are usually right on track with Buds or other online retailers.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old November 16, 2012, 10:39 PM   #40
Davkul

Thanks Jay, that's where I usually go to shoot and where I looked at and held the P-07.

I'm sort of just waiting for a Black Friday deal right now. Maybe from B&T, Fin and Feather or another online retailer.
Old November 17, 2012, 09:21 PM   #41
Davkul

How comparable is the Bersa 9mm Concealed Carry?

Only downside is the mag size. Can anyone compare the P-07 with the Bersa 9mm?
Old November 26, 2012, 05:06 PM   #42
Davkul

Just wanted to follow up. I bought my P-07 duty today in 9mm. Hoping to shoot it soon!
Old November 26, 2012, 08:24 PM   #43
marine6680

Keep us informed.
Old December 15, 2012, 12:57 PM   #44
Davkul

Finally got to shoot it yesterday, it was great.

I did have an issue after about my 3rd mag. I had a failure to feed/jam and it kept happening on both of my mags. I'm not really sure what was causing it, I tore the gun apart and didn't notice anything that may be stopping the feed. Even after I looked at it and wiped off the slide and frame it was still failing to feed. I wiped off the top of the mag and it just started feeding after that. I didn't see anything on the mag or the ammunition that would have been causing it. It was rather frustrating being the first time I've shoot it.

After that I didn't have any more FTF. Looking forward to go again soon and see how it shoots.