The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old November 2, 2012, 03:23 PM   #1
357 mag

how much muzzle energy does a 22lr pistol produce?

2.5 inch barrel?
Old November 2, 2012, 03:51 PM   #2
hardworker

not much at all. Probably 60-70 ft-lbs
Old November 2, 2012, 05:15 PM   #3
RJay

22 Long Rifle, 38 Grs. -CCI Game Getter, 50 Yards, 109 ft lbs. At the muzzel, 138 Ft. Lbs. There are charts such as the one in Standard Cartridges of the World that list most 22 rim fire cartridges ( if not all ). How ever, most charts list information from longer barrels, from a 2 to 3 inch barrel. I agree, 80-90 Lbs., however as in all cartridges it is the placement that counts. If you stick a .22 Single Six in a Brown Bears ear you will bring him down. ( Been done )

Last edited by RJay; November 2, 2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old November 2, 2012, 07:40 PM   #4
orionengnr

Quote:
If you stick a .22 Single Six in a Brown Bears ear, you are either a much braver or a much more fool-hardy man than am I.
There...fixed it for you.
Old November 2, 2012, 08:14 PM   #5
tipoc

For a 33 gr. .22 lr bullet (a Yellow Jacket round) moving at 943 fps from a 2.5" Berretta 21A you would get about 65 ft. pds of energy at the muzzle.

Go here...http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/22.html

then here...http://www.potomacltd.com/calculate_muzzle_energy.htm

or here...http://www.ehow.com/how_5973711_calc...le-energy.html and do a little work for various rounds.

Or take the velocity and multiply it by itself. Multiply that sum by the weight of the bullet in grains. Divide that figure by 450400 and that is close enough for government work.

So if we take a 40 gr. velocitor from the Berretta 21A we see that it's going 895fps at the muzzle. So...

895x895=801025
801025x40=32041000
32041000/450400=71.138
so 71.14 ft. pds. of energy at the muzzle

Hope this helps and hope it's right.

tipoc

Last edited by tipoc; November 2, 2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old November 2, 2012, 08:29 PM   #6
warningshot

I will have to fact-check this post.

I think the .22LR produces that amount of foot pounds of energy sufficient to claim the top spot in Gun Shot fatalities and Gun Shot wounds in the United States. Maybe it's just a guess.

Quote:
If you stick a .22 Single Six in a Brown Bears ear you will bring him down.
I don't think the Carnival dude is going to let you get that close. Besides, who wants powder burns on the ear of a new Teddy-Bear.

Last edited by warningshot; November 2, 2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old November 2, 2012, 08:42 PM   #7
Elmer

Quote:
I think the .22LR produces that amount of foot pounds of energy sufficient to claim the top spot in Gun Shot fatalities and Gun Shot wounds in the United States. Maybe it's just a guess.
Got a source for that? I hear it all the time, but I'm not sure it's true today, or if it ever was.
Old November 2, 2012, 08:50 PM   #8
tipoc

Quote:
I might have to bring him down first. It'll take a lot of effort to shove a gun that size into a bears ear. I know it's a small gun but still, a lot of work to get it in there and that's not counting if the bear don't like it. It might be best to shoot him with a good rifle round first and put him down, that'll give me time to plan on and room to "stick a Single Six" in his ear. Hammer it in maybe. But I agree if I stick it in there it will "bring him down".

tipoc
Old November 2, 2012, 08:51 PM   #9
warningshot

It might have changed when the Bad Guys started carrying better pistols.
Naw, I think .22 is still King. But I could be wrong.
Old November 2, 2012, 10:09 PM   #10
RJay

Story is about 20 or more years old, up in Alaska, guy was treed by a big brown , tree wasn't tall enough and the bear was making big swipes, nothing to lose , so after one swipe, he leaned down , stuck it in the bears ear and the bear dropped, dead as a rock. Now whether he was using 22 LR or 22 Mag, the story didn't say but I still remember being impressed. When your butt is on the line, I guess you do what you have to do I betcha his underwear wasn't clean ( the hunter, not the bears ).

Last edited by RJay; November 2, 2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old November 3, 2012, 02:34 AM   #11
tipoc

What's the point of this thread?

Does someone want to hunt bear with a snubby .22 handgun? Or walk up and shoot them in the head? Bear, including Brown bear have been killed with a 22 from a rifle and well placed shots to the head. Bear have also been killed with spears and arrows. Few people today, if any, hunt bear with a .22 or deer or hogs, etc. It's not that it can't be done it's that the likelihood of taking game cleanly with a 22 is far less that with a suitable caliber.

A good many people have died from being shot with the .22. In part because it is the most common caliber in the U.S. and has been for a very long time. Also because a good many people consider it so small as to be almost a toy round. Children and young folk have often played with it and shot themselves and others. A good many die a day or two after being shot from complications and infections. President Reagan was shot with a 22 and almost died on the way to the hospital. Brady suffered permanent brain damage as a result of being shot.

The 22 has little energy compared to other rounds and is very light weight, but due to it's small diameter, resistance to penetration is slight so it can go deep enough to do damage. It is a very good round for hunting small game, target practice, plinking and fun. Due to it's slight recoil it's a good round to practice with.

No military or police agencies use the round as a duty round. There are better rounds for self defense.

tipoc

Last edited by tipoc; November 3, 2012 at 02:40 AM.
Old November 3, 2012, 04:04 AM   #12
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Quote:
Heck all you really need is a pair of binoculars and a bra, to save your hiking partner from a Grizzly.

http://www.ultimatemontana.com/newsl...es/102308.html

However, living in Alaska I can share that I have not started carrying a .22lr, binoculars, or bras when considering bears. (Have you tried to find a bra that would fit a full grown Brown Bear? And what about the Boars? If you thought that sticking a revolver into a bear's ear was difficult, consider the challenge of trying to get a full grown Brownie into a bra!) About as ridiculous as using a .22lr for "bringing him down".
YMMV

Now, go figure...
Old November 3, 2012, 10:54 AM   #13
Mal H
Staff

Ok, now it's getting really silly. The question was asked and answered.

Closed.
Closed Thread