The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 1, 2012, 12:46 PM   #1
Japle

There’s no reason this gun should shoot ….

so well!

After all, it’s a .44 AutoMag. It’s huge. It has a ton of recoil. The trigger runs about 5 ½ lbs and is a long way from smooth. But it’s a freakin’ tack driver.

My first target today with the Hornady 265 gr over 22.0 gr of WW296.
(All targets fired at 25 yds, two hand standing.)

Then I tried the Sierra 180 gr JHC over 31.0 gr of WW296.

Last was the Nosler 240 gr JHP over 23.0 gr of WW296. This load chronographed at 1281 fps. I need to bump it up a half grain or so.

Except for the shot I pulled with the 265 gr load, all the groups went into about an inch.

Next week I'll shoot some 50 yd groups from Creedmore position and see how it does.
Old November 1, 2012, 12:54 PM   #2
Constantine

Wow! Immaculate shooting on your part. Never seen that gun before. Looks really nice, shoots great in your hands. I'd love to shoot one of those some day. Nice range report! Thank you for posting.
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen
Old November 1, 2012, 01:02 PM   #3
TunnelRat

This is kinda silly, but is that the gun in the later Dirty Harry movie?
Old November 1, 2012, 01:13 PM   #4
Scorch

Quote:
Yep!
Taylor Machine
Old November 1, 2012, 01:46 PM   #5
Spammy_H

Is that a blowback design? Pretty impressive.
Old November 1, 2012, 02:21 PM   #6
CharlieDeltaJuliet

I love it. Reminds me of a Ruger MkI/II/III or a Browning Buckmark... But with a hell of a punch...
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old November 1, 2012, 02:23 PM   #7
Japle

Quote:
It was used in "Sudden Impact". Harry had one with a 7 1/2" barrel, one inch longer than the standard one I have.

Quote:
Is that a blowback design?
It uses a rotating bolt, much like the M16.

If it's kept reasonably clean and you feed it hot enough ammo, it's very reliable. The twin recoil springs are stiff. I mean stiff! It won't function with light or medium loads. The 180 and 240 gr loads I was using are right on the lower limit. I need to get a 240 running at 1350 fps to be sure of 100% reliability. That should take 23.5 or 24.0 gr of WW296 with a mag primer.

Back in the '70s, I had a pair of AutoMags in .357AMP and .44AMP. I shot a ton of jackrabbits and coyotes with them, especially the .357. My favorite .357AMP load was the Sierra 90 gr 9mm bullet at 2495 fps. It would turn a jack into pink mist and kill a coyote in his tracks.
Here's what that load looked like at night:

For deer with the .44AMP, the 265 gr Hornady at 1510 would go all the way through any deer in the world and the next three pine trees it came to. Fantastic penetration.

I was a fool to sell those guns.
Old November 1, 2012, 02:34 PM   #8
Constantine

Awesome picture.

That's a hell of a fast 9mm bullet.

All that sounds great..Need a .44AMP in my life -__-

I'm scared of having that regret. I don't ever want to sell another one of my guns again. I've already sold about 10.

The 3/4 I don't regret were rust buckets anyways. The others...I kind of miss already.
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen
Old November 1, 2012, 05:28 PM   #9
IDAHOMIKE

That's quite the fireball there. And a good shootin Automag.
Old November 1, 2012, 05:31 PM   #10
Spammy_H

2500 fps out of a pistol - that's just nuts.

I want one.
Old November 1, 2012, 05:39 PM   #11
Sparks1957

That's wild. Would like to try one of them out.
Old November 1, 2012, 05:56 PM   #12
Japle

Quote:
2500 fps out of a pistol - that's just nuts.
The bullet was designed for 1400-1500 fps at most. Pushed to 2500, it would expand on a raindrop.
Old November 1, 2012, 06:29 PM   #13
Japle

Quote:
Am I the only one that is skeptical of the target claims. Whose would be good targets using a bench.
I can shoot a little. Only been doing it for 55 years.

Old November 1, 2012, 06:29 PM   #14
chris in va

Just out of curiosity, what was the intended purpose of the Automag? Did the manufacturer just make it and consumers later find a use?
Old November 1, 2012, 06:45 PM   #15
g.willikers

Who needs a purpose to something extra ordinary.
Think of it as like a Ferrari.
They made it just 'cause they wanted to and could.
Old November 1, 2012, 06:49 PM   #16
Japle

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, what was the intended purpose of the Automag? Did the manufacturer just make it and consumers later find a use?
The designer, Harry Sanford, intended it to be the ultimate hunting handgun. When it came out, it was significantly more powerful than the .44 Mag revolver. It was designed to take 55,000 CUP and Harry, Lee Jurras, George Nonte and others loaded it at least that hot.

I used to do a lot of work on AutoMags when I had my FFL. Many people overloaded them, but it was tough to break one.

A guy in Idaho sent me one that was misfiring. When I broke it down, I found half a dozen tiny metal discs in the firing pin channel. The guy was loading so hot he was piercing primers (CCI 350s) and the pieces were stuck in the firing pin channel. Even with abuse like that, the gun wasn’t damaged at all. I’ll admit to loading mine to the point that I got totally flat primers. What the hell, I was young and parts were pretty cheap. I broke a bunch of bolt rotation pins, something I don’t want to do now. They cost $75 each!

I used my .357 AutoMag to win or place high in several of the early Handgun Metallic Silhouette matches. I held the world standing record for a while with that gun. My best silhouette load was the 150 gr Sierra JHC at 1850 fps. I shot some javelina and two Arizona whitetails with that load. It was too powerful for those little critters. It blew them up pretty bad.
Old November 1, 2012, 06:55 PM   #17
Japle

Here’s the best shooting I ever did.
Freedom Arms Mini-revolver with a 1” barrel.
Six bullseyes, three shots each.
Average group, 1.02".

Conditions:
Range, 200 meters.
2AM.
During a thunderstorm.
While drunk.

See, I can lie if I want to!!
Old November 1, 2012, 08:14 PM   #18
rightside

God , I love that gun ! Always have, just couldn't afford one. Back in the day a new gun didn't come out every day, so this one made quite a splash .Congrats.

PS- I believe your shooting skills.
Old November 1, 2012, 08:19 PM   #19
Mystro

The design of the Automag is inherently good and points very natural.
Old November 1, 2012, 08:59 PM   #20
orionengnr

Beautiful AutoMag and some dang nice shooting.

I remember Magnum Force...probably my favorite of the Dirty Harry series, in no small part due to that AutoMag. I was a teenager at the time and all I knew (barely) was my dad's WWII 1911 and my uncle's (probably S&W) revolver.

About ten years ago I was at a semi-small gun show and saw a .357 AutoMag for sale for (IIRC) $1100. Don't recall the manufacturer, and really did not know much at all except that it was an AutoMag...which was enough. Didn't have the money in my pocket, but probably could have worked something out, but I didn't. Maybe i saved myself a lot of heartache, maybe it was a POS, but some small part of me is still kicking myself in the butt...
Old November 1, 2012, 11:19 PM   #21
johnnydollar

"Sudden Impact" may have boosted the Auto-Mag's popularity quite a bit, but I already knew what it was when I saw it in the movie because Don Pendleton armed "Mack Bolan" of the "Executioner" series with one in any number of his novels in the early-to-mid 1970's. I read the series up to number 77, or something, and I think it continued on long after I found new interests (read: girls) to waste my time on. BTW, Japle, that's a beautiful gun!

Last edited by johnnydollar; November 5, 2012 at 10:55 PM.
Old November 2, 2012, 12:31 AM   #22
Redhawk5.5+P+

stevejeff Post #13

Quote:
Am I the only one that is skeptical of the target claims. Whose would be good targets using a bench.
NO, your not alone!

First, I think that gun is way cool, some of my personal OPs are about dream gun's. Well, my dream gun's are more realistic, this gun is out the door cool, but to impractical for I (eye candy). That just makes it more of a dream gun. I'm sure it has no warranty. LOL And part's and mag's?

I doubt on this individual post the guy is not snowing us... "much"! WINK WINK!

Nice gun, I'll take two, so one is not lonely.
Old November 2, 2012, 06:35 AM   #23
Hal

Quote:
Probably.....
Old November 2, 2012, 06:45 AM   #24
Sparks1957

Some folks are just so sensitive about their own lack of talent that they can't believe others are really good at something. Sad.
Old November 2, 2012, 06:58 AM   #25
WC145

Quote:
Quote:
stevejeff Post #13

Quote:
NO, your not alone!

First, I think that gun is way cool, some of my personal OPs are about dream gun's. Well, my dream gun's are more realistic, this gun is out the door cool, but to impractical for I (eye candy). That just makes it more of a dream gun. I'm sure it has no warranty. LOL And part's and mag's?

I doubt on this individual post the guy is not snowing us... "much"! WINK WINK!

Nice gun, I'll take two, so one is not lonely.
Three things-
1. Before the world went tactical and everyone started shooting for groups at 7yds, shooting at 25yds was the norm and every cop's qualification course included shooting at 50yds. Maybe you guys can't shoot well at distance but plenty of folks can and do, check out the the 50yd groups shot at Camp Perry sometime.

2. The Auto Mag is a fixed barrel design with a rotating locking bolt, making it an inherently accurate design. Fixed barrel autos are among the most accurate handguns made because everything locks up in exactly the same place every time. That's why accurate 1911s are so tight, they're trying to get the barrel to lock in the same spot every shot.

3. Practicality has nothing to do with Auto Mags, they were like Ferraris, nobody needed one but they were sure cool to have and take for a spin now and then. I have an Automag V .50AE, is it practical? Hell no, but I'm the only kid on my block that has one and it makes all those .45's look like pea shooters at the range. Good clean American style shooting fun!
“Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”