The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 29, 2012, 11:25 AM   #1
max it

mixing Dillon 550 w/Lee Pro 1000?

Hi Ya Reloaders,
I have two Dillons and two powder hoppers for them. Actually three, the third is manual feed old one I got with the 450 press. I also have a Lee which I retired. But the auto feed (upgraded to a powder bar not the disks, which i have also) is good and I have a .45acp powder thru and bell die for it. I am considering using that one on the Dillon and save the Dillon powder measure failsafe for another caliber, yet to be decided. The manual Dillon is on .38 expander die.
Any thoughts?
much obliged,

Max
Old October 29, 2012, 12:22 PM   #2
Jimro

Go for it, you wouldn't be the first person to have an AutoDisk on top of a Dillon.

Jimro
Old October 29, 2012, 03:58 PM   #3
hodaka

When I finally gave up and threw my Lee 1000 in the trash I put the Autodisk powder measure on my Dillon toolhead with the Lee .45 dies. Been using it for years.
Old October 29, 2012, 04:44 PM   #4
max it

You Guys made me laugh, ok I am up for it.

Mucho obligado,

Max
Old October 29, 2012, 10:52 PM   #5
dickttx

I have all my Lee dies and the Pro Auto Disk on my LnL. Works as well there as on the Classic Turret, which is excellent.
Old October 31, 2012, 03:04 PM   #6
max it

Lee powder can on Dillon 550

Guys, the Lee Auto Disk doesnt bell the case as well. It seems to work on spring pressure and I am screwing it in the maximum amount to get a minimal bell. Am I doing it right?

Much obliged,

Max
Old October 31, 2012, 04:48 PM   #7
dickttx

You are using it on a Lee powder through/expander/flaring die?
The PAD itself does not expand or flare, the die does.
Sorry if you already know this.
Old October 31, 2012, 06:28 PM   #8
max it

Lee Auto

Hi Dick, I should have said that. Yes correct die. In fact I started out reloading with that Lee set up for .45ACP now with two Dillons, PTL.
Do I need to do something special with the seating setting?
much obliged,

Max
Old October 31, 2012, 07:11 PM   #9
dickttx

Max it,
I had to go down to my LCT and run through it a couple of times. I am pretty much a mechanical midget.
When I removed my Lee dies from the LCT and installed them in the LnL quick lock bushings it changed everything completely, not only because of the bushings, but also because the LnL tool head is thicker than the LCT turret.
I don't remember anything special that I did. I just put them in the bushings then screwed them down (with the PAD installed) until I achieved the flare I wanted and the disk hole was directly over the powder drop tube. At this point the front of the disk is just about even with the front of the base, and the lever was all the way down, i.e., ram all the way up.
Old November 2, 2012, 09:01 PM   #10
lee n. field

Quote:
When I finally gave up and threw my Lee 1000 in the trash I put the Autodisk powder measure on my Dillon toolhead with the Lee .45 dies. Been using it for years.
Fish it out. I'll take it.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "