The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old October 28, 2012, 08:08 AM   #26
JimPage

I'm with Brian. I also think it's a funny story but don't approve of taking the idiot's money.

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
Old October 28, 2012, 08:10 AM   #27
gaseousclay

Quote:
Just the other day I went to the Election Board to vote early, and clearly several of the folks in line were mindless zombies since they were voting for the one who neeed not be named.
I could say the same about the other candidate that need not be named. stay classy
Old October 28, 2012, 08:11 AM   #28
Sparks1957

While I can understand having a bit of fun with the poor deluded kid, I must say the gun shop owner was a real jerk to take advantage of that situation for financial gain.
Old October 28, 2012, 08:13 AM   #29
geetarman

[QUOTE]OK.
soooooo....how about those Eagles then? /QUOTE]

Stainless,

Glad to see you keep your sense of humor. It comes in handy around here.

So....do you think them Eagles have a chance in the World Serious?

Carpe Cerveza
Old October 28, 2012, 08:18 AM   #30
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Hundreds of military, law enforcement and medical personnel will observe the Hollywood-style production of a zombie attack as part of their emergency response training."

You have GOT to be ****ing kidding me...

And yes, I know I abused the language filter. I felt it was really appropriate in this instance...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 28, 2012, 08:18 AM   #31
themalicious0ne

Well I dont know if the owner technically "lied" to the kids. In an interview, joking or not, he explains how he designed it for zombies.Quotes from Ben O'Brian and Steve Hornady from Guns and Ammo

BO: How did this awesome idea come about?

SH: I’ve seen several of the documentaries and read the history books (e.g Dawn of the Dead, World War Z etc.), which is when I learned of this threat and realized we weren’t really prepared. I felt we had a civic duty to our customers, our nation, nay simply the living, to offer the most effective ammunition we could develop.

Read more: http://www.gunsandammo.com/2011/10/1...#ixzz2AbDIzPHT
Old October 28, 2012, 08:30 AM   #32
Hal

IMHO - it depends on the price the kid paid as to whether or not he was taken advantage of.

Now, if the shop keeper had pushed a KaBar Zombie killer knife and a Ruger Zombie killer gun & posters of Milla,,,,,well,,,,maybe not the posters.....then he would have been guility of taking advantage of the kid.

As it was, the kid got 8 boxes of ammunition.
Old October 28, 2012, 08:39 AM   #33
geetarman

^^^^^^^ I am seeing a bunch of zombie targets, posters and stuff over at the LGS.

I expect it is a fad and will soon be replaced by something goofier.

Carpe Cerveza
Old October 28, 2012, 08:44 AM   #34
Hansam

Having been in sales and a business owner I can say that I'm rather shocked and ashamed at the way the owner of that gun store went about his business with this young person.

Would I have had some fun at the expense of this particular young person? Most likely so. However afterwards I'd have educated the youngster and NOT taken advantage of the youth's ignorance. Scamming customers is not an acceptable way to do business.

On the flip side I have a brother-in-law who buys ONLY the Z-Max ammo for his EDC and for his home/personal defense/shtf ammo for his AR. He seems to believe that its more effective than any other ammo you can get because its designed specifically for killing zombies aka brain dead/idiotic humans. I've tried to educate him but he keeps on spending extra money to get the Z-Max stuff. Now THAT'S a laugh.
Old October 28, 2012, 09:13 AM   #35
arch308

You can't fix stupid!
Old October 28, 2012, 09:17 AM   #36
buck460XVR

Come the Zombie Apocalypse, I'm bettin' those three Knuckleheads will have the last laugh on the OP. Always amazes me how much bandwidth on these types of forums is wasted by folks that feel the need to belittle others in order to make themselves feel superior. If it ain't the dumbazz behind the counter at Walmart rant, it's a Dumbazz at the local LGS rant. Always the whole point in the thread is to show the rest of us the superiority the OP has over the rest of the world. About as real as Zombies.
Old October 28, 2012, 09:23 AM   #37
StainlessSteel215

Funny responses, frankly I'm surprised this wasn't locked due to the heavy Initial criticism last night. Was it in bad taste of the biz owner? Sure. Was it warranted in my opinion? Absolutely. Some folks have thin skin apparently. I just couldn't believe the conversation transpiring just feet from me and had to share. Glad some thought it was amusing as I did.

Hopefully the kid learned a lesson. Stop watching so much freggin tv and video games and get back to reality.

Sorry if anyone thought the situation was in poor taste. I personally found it hilarious and ad very interesting to say the least.
Old October 28, 2012, 09:36 AM   #38
geetarman

This is not gun related but it does go to show you how some people think.

I grew up with a kid who firmly believed you had to press the brake pedal on a car exactly in the center. . .if you didn't, the car would veer.

While this guy isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, at age 65 he can STILL hop on a unicycle and pedal that thing all over town and never take a tumble.

Different "gifts" I suppose.

Carpe Cerveza
Old October 28, 2012, 10:07 AM   #39
Glenn E. Meyer
Staff

I read on some defense site that there is planning for some kind of bio-weapon that causes mass mental illness. Kind of like the virus zombie movies.

You know of course that some infections do attack neural structures like the amygdala causing violence. A targeted bio-weapon that did such would be close to the zombie apocalypse.

Be ready.
http://www.teddytactical.com/archive...11_Feature.htm
Being an Active Shooter
Old October 28, 2012, 11:04 AM   #40
StainlessSteel215

(stocking up on massive quantities of HORNADY Z-Max)

Glenn that was a scary post in all seriousness, nothing is shocking at this point when it comes to government. I made a promise to myself about a year ago that I will never have anything less than 1000 rounds available in my home. Zombies are the least of my worries though, civil unrest and martial law scares me 10x more
Old October 28, 2012, 11:38 AM   #41
berettaprofessor

(stocking up on massive quantities of plain old FMJ ball, cause it's cheaper and kills just as effectively)

And Mike Irwin; not kidding; any excuse to spend that budgeted money and keep the sheeple scared works.
Old October 28, 2012, 11:51 AM   #42
Glenn E. Meyer
Staff

http://www.defensenews.com/apps/pbcs...=2012309170011

They are coming for you, Stainless. Be very afraid.

As far as civil unrest, remember that during the financial crisis - New York Wall Street types were applying for pistol permits to fight off the hordes of what we now call the 47%. They feared the guillotine and weird old women knitting over their severed heads.

Hey, that's a business opportunity for the entrepreneur. Next to the zombie ammo, sell 47% ammo. Pardon, the diversion to off the serious issue of people buying into zombie ammo.
http://www.teddytactical.com/archive...11_Feature.htm
Being an Active Shooter
Old October 28, 2012, 03:39 PM   #43
KMAX

I bought a couple of boxes of Zombie Max (380 & 9mm) because I was told they were the same as Critical Defense, but they were $3 cheaper each. They work fine in my guns. Also the novelty is sort of amusing. The store owner sounds kind of despicable, but it was in Philly wasn't it? Different attitudes up there maybe. I have met a few newbies that might fall for something like that, but I think it was kind of low to take advantage of the kid's stupidity. Integrity just ain't what it used to be.

I saw on the news this morning that there is a zombie emergency scenario being played out for police, fire, and EMS personnel. I don't know where it was to happen. It seemed a little absurd to me. Seems like they should use a more real-life type scenario, but I don't make those calls.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old October 28, 2012, 03:56 PM   #44
InigoMontoya

Quote:
I'm with Brian. I also think it's a funny story but don't approve of taking the idiot's money.
Sums it up beautifully.

Shop owner could have had his fun, gotten some laughs, and then let the kids off the hook. But the moment he leveraged their confusion/stupidity into a sale? He's scum. Pure and simple.
Old October 28, 2012, 04:10 PM   #45
1-DAB

and who is to say that the ammo in question will not dispatch a zombie? as far as the mfr and shop keeper know, it works great.
Old October 28, 2012, 04:58 PM   #46
bob.a

There's a price to pay for stupidity, and a price to pay for education.

There is more than one lesson to be learned from this exchange, and the total cost was the price of a few boxes of ammunition.

There might be something to be learned from this even if one was not present. So the lessons keep coming, paid for by a box of ammunition, and the time and attention of those reading all this.

Ultimately, the two main parties in the exchange were pleased by the transaction. No one forced anything on an unwilling participant. Outside judgements cannot stand absent information held only by the participants.
Old October 28, 2012, 05:13 PM   #47
Crazy88Fingers

It is real ammo that was designed (or just marketed) for zombies. It will function in his firearm whether or not the dead rise from their graves. Seems like a fair sale to me.
Old October 28, 2012, 05:28 PM   #48
MLeake

On the one hand, there is a price to be paid for stupidity.

On the other hand, who gets to exact that price?

And on the gripping hand, integrity has to do with one's own actions, not with the stupidity or impropriety of others. The customer wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed, but the store owner's integrity was his own to preserve or to trash.

He chose to trash it.
Old October 28, 2012, 06:06 PM   #49
Crazy88Fingers

Another point: The kid's parents should have had the "zombie talk" with him a long time ago. I don't think that responsibility should fall on the shop owner's shoulders.
Old October 28, 2012, 06:10 PM   #50
youngunz4life

MLeake, I tend to agree w/you but it is possible(though he didn't correct the folly before customer walked away he might've been stunned & wished he had after-the-fact) he was being sarcastic.

Also, the kids were kids, and they might've just been joking around...as in they don't have a lot of experience buying ammo and were sortof just awestruck or enjoying the experience. I don't know about anybody else here, but it is near Halloween + I tend to also believe these kids don't truly believe in zombies. They were probably laughing about this guy as they left.