The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 27, 2012, 04:28 PM   #1
4runnerman

Chamber cleaning

Was wondering how everyone cleans their chamber. I reacently started using Iosso Bore Cleaner after a normal all out cleaning. It is amazing what that stuff does. Normal cleaning patches come out white as they went in. Use some of this stuff and the patches come out just dirty as all get out.
Issue i have is i get the paste in the chamber and Q-Tips are the only thing i find that helps me get the paste out. How do you guys get the chamber real clean. ( PS- I use a bore Guide) So i was told by a F-Class shooter to throw that thing in the garbage- He says the bore guide sticks in the bore to far and that part of your rifle never gets cleaned because of that.
I was alwyas told never to clean a rifle with out one. He says the fiber rods i use will never harm the barrel.
Looking for some input on this. Q-Tips work,but what a pain to work with,
Old October 27, 2012, 06:36 PM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

At least when it comes to straight-wall or lightly tapered cartridges (which includes most pistol cartridges), I've never had to do anything special to clean the chamber. The chamber gets cleaned as a matter of course along with the bore.

If you're talking about bottle-necked cases, then it makes sense to use a larger brush that fits the chamber to clean it out well. Take special care if you're using cartridge cases other than brass--especially steel. Steel cases may not expand to seal the chamber as well as brass does and that can allow gases to blow around the case mouth and leave carbon fouling on the chamber wall.
Old October 27, 2012, 06:41 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

Where needed i use Brownell's bronze chamber brushes:

http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleanin...-prod1287.aspx