The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 26, 2012, 03:17 PM   #1
Mystro

Found Perfect PPQ Night sight set that DOESNT change POI. Here is what you want.

After testing the Meprolight ML-18800 for the P99. I found the POI was low by about 2". I tried many different rounds and my specific control rounds. All printed low compared to the factory plastic sights. I then ordered a set of Meprolight ML-18801 for the P99 Compact. It was noticeable the front sight was a tad bit lower than the previous ML-18800 set but the rear sight measured the same. This IS the winning combination for the PPQ. Point of impact with the ML-18801 raised up to a perfect combination of sight picture 2 and sight picture 3 (closer to sight pic 2). They printed slightly (1/4" higher) at 7 yards than the stock plastic sights. I like the POI better than the stock plastic sights. Installation was easy and covered on the forum. I highly recommend getting the $15 installation tool. The front sight screw is in a much smaller working space than any Glock or gun I have ever worked on and the Hex Nut tool way simplified this instal over using my Craftman driver.

So to recap the Meprolight sights you need to order for the PPQ is ML-18801 for the Compact P99. I guarantee this is the correct sight for our PPQ since I tested both sets of Meprolight sights on the same PPQ gun.

Last edited by Mystro; October 26, 2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old October 26, 2012, 11:01 PM   #2
kinoons

Which $15 instillation tool are you referring to?
Old October 27, 2012, 09:32 AM   #3
Mystro

This one. You can find them on eBay. The funny thing is I have done over 20 night sight installs over the years but the PPQ with its tappers slide design is extremely tight. Even fine needle nose plyers are a pain. The $15 tool allows consistent tightening without buggering up the nut.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/meprolig...nt-sights.html

You can purchase the Meprolight 18801 P99 compact sights at a good price here as well.
http://www.opticsplanet.com/meprolig...r-pistols.html

Last edited by Mystro; October 28, 2012 at 06:57 AM.
Old October 27, 2012, 09:56 PM   #4
tdsteve

Thanks for the info in this post. How difficult was the rear sight to remove and install the new one?
Old October 27, 2012, 10:06 PM   #5
Mystro

The rear sight was a honest 30 second swap. You just push down on that spring plunger and slide the rear sight off to the left.
Old October 29, 2012, 04:14 PM   #6
Fishbed77

One quick question...

Do the Meprolight rear sights have as "wide" a sight picture as the standard PPQ/P99 sights? IE, is there as much "open air" around the front sight?

I know that the Walther sights are designed this way for fast target acquisition, but personally, I'd prefer a tighter sight picture if possible.