The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 25, 2012, 06:54 PM   #1
Panfisher

I finally drank the Kool-Aid!

Walked out of the store today with a new black Remington R-15 .223 Rem 1/9 twist. I didn't pick it because it was the best, worst, cheapest or most expensive. However of all the AR's I have picked up, held, even shot this was the only one that seemed to "speak" to me. I have mounted the only scope I had available a cheap 3-9x Simmons on i with the only mounts I have that would put the scope hight enough to come up correctly and old set of see through weaver mounts. I'll look for a different scope and mounts, maybe a simple fixed 4x or a Tasco World Class 3-9 with mil dots. Will do a quick trigger job on it, not bad but definitely not what I am used to with bolt guns. Already making a list for christmas.

Where will this sickness stop after drinking the kool-aid? My wife absolutely loves the rifle, so maybe one for her! Oh no I'm contaminated for life aren't I, there is no cure. Thanks to all who answered some of my questions about AR's even those i didn't ask but learned by reading, you are a veritable fountain of information.
Old October 25, 2012, 08:09 PM   #2
djcantr

Just wait... You'll be ordering parts soon to build one.
Old October 25, 2012, 08:53 PM   #3
zxcvbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfisher
Oh no
Oh, no!
(cue the Kool-Aid guy)
Old October 25, 2012, 11:57 PM   #4
allaroundhunter

I have never seen a black R-15, interesting
Old October 26, 2012, 04:06 AM   #5
idek

I didn't want to leave zxcvbob hanging too long.

Last edited by idek; October 26, 2012 at 04:13 AM.
Old October 26, 2012, 09:33 AM   #6
BLUETIP

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR PURCHASE, ENJOY. SUREFIRE MAKES SOME REALLY SWEET 60 & 100 RND MAGS
Old October 26, 2012, 10:04 AM   #7
Panfisher

Allaroundhunter. The only place I have seen than is at Academy. Always liked them R-15, and the black ones are $200 cheaper. Maybe get to make it go bang today.!!
Old October 26, 2012, 01:00 PM   #8
tobnpr

Quote:
Will do a quick trigger job on it, not bad but definitely not what I am used to with bolt guns. Already making a list for christmas.
When I was working with the FFL that was providing us with some parts for a build, he recommended this, for ten bucks...
Before you drop $200-$300 on a trigger, try this.
My son shoots his Grendel at 600 yards with this trigger spring, and he sees no reason to "upgrade"

http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPS3.5T
Old October 26, 2012, 03:23 PM   #9
Panfisher

Actually I had no plans to drop $ on a replacement trigger, just the "15 minute trigger job". However after shooting it a little today it really isn't bad, seemed to smooth up or maybe I just got used to it. Funny thing, the "sound" I notice most is the "twang" of the trigger resetting as I release it after follow through.

BTW so far it likes the cheap scope, cheap Rem 55 Gr. FMJ ammo. my 55 Gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip reloads and absolutely HATES the rocks on the bank of the pond below my house. I think my neighbors will stop worrying about me now, they haven't heard any gunshots for a while and were probably beginning to think I had died. I even found all but one empty case!

My wife has already requested that it be placed above the door to our bedroom, with her familiarity with the M16 family of rifles I wouldn't reccomend to anyone to try to kick in the door when she is home alone!
Old October 26, 2012, 06:14 PM   #10
Eghad

for $54.00 + shipping

ALG QMS Trigger + JP Enterprise Yellow Reduced Power Springs. You have a manufactured set of triggers that will operate safely.

Or you can try just the JP springs for $9.95.

NRA Life Member
Old October 26, 2012, 08:17 PM   #11
djcantr

I would advise against the "15 minute trigger job". I tried trimming the hammer spring per the instructions and kept getting light strikes. I put in JP reduced power springs and no more light strikes. My experience with that method of a trigger job was in a .22 LR AR so you can take that with a grain of salt if you like. Like others mentioned, though, the JP springs are only $10.

I would also advise against leaving a weapon out in the open while you are not home. My home was burglarized a year ago and it made me think about some things. I never want to come home to my own weapon being pointed at me. A safe won't prevent that 100%, but it will sure make them have to work at it. I keep my home defense firearm in a safe. I remove it when I get home and I put it back in when I leave.
Old October 27, 2012, 07:25 AM   #12
rebs

I bought a RR 2 stage trigger and can't say I love it. Its different because its a 2 stage and I guess takes some time to get used to. I am thinking about putting my stock trigger back in and buying the JP springs and the set screw to reduce the trigger creep.
The trigger creep is what I didn't like with the stock trigger.
Old October 27, 2012, 08:57 AM   #13
Rainbow Demon

For a home defense weapon that you don't normally take out target shooting placing the weapon between studs and covering with the thin 5/16ths drywall is a possibility. The really thin drywall is easy to break through with your fist or any convenient blunt object.
A burglar could ransack for hours and never suspect the gun is there.

Other guns could be locked away safely in a sturdy gun safe, or put in storage if you intend to be away from home for awhile such as on vacation.
Old October 27, 2012, 09:44 AM   #14
BPowderkeg

Quote:
Will do a quick trigger job on it,

explain this, please, how familiar are you with the FCG ?

the JP trigger link says this: "To be used only with JP trigger parts. Will not yield substantial change on standard AR-15 trigger components."

from that a gather one must buy a JP FCG ?? therefore adding to the cost.

i truly am confused with some replies, especially the "15 minute trigger job" which i do NOT recommend, due to this warning:
Quote:
Disclaimer: If you can’t follow these directions successfully, you should not be playing with guns, especially AR-15’s.
Old October 27, 2012, 10:36 AM   #15
Panfisher

Ok I'll admit to being a little confused by the concerns about the 15 minute trigger job. From what I can tell the worst that happens is you get to buy the $10 new spring kit anyway if it results in light strikes, heck in one of the discussions they mention removing part of the back of the hammer to increase hammer speed, that is NOT on the table as an option. A friend of mine followed the instructions and ended up with a very nice trigger on his Stag. However if you read the rest of my posts I am not at this point planning on doing it to my R-15 as it has a pretty dang good trigger.

How familiar with the fire control group, not very as of yet but am getting more familiar with it, I removed it for cleaning and re-lubing before the first firing. I knew nothing about Ruger 10/22's either until I began working on mine. The first dissassembly and re-assembly took over an hour, later only a few minutes. While not a trained gunsmith I am not an idiot and am pretty mechanically inclined. I don't plan to do anything to the rifle that is either irreversible or damaging to it. For now its more of a familiarization and working up a basic load it likes and one with a 60 gr. Nosler Partition should I decide to take it hunting.

For what its worth I have already made my first midway order on behalf of my new AR. sling, bullets for reloading, plastic ammo boxes, and a couple mags. Will wait until I can handle the other scopes to worry about the ideal scope for my taste/use.
Old October 27, 2012, 10:37 AM   #16
Eghad

There are different springs that JP sells

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/JP_A.../jp-jps3.5.htm

The above set will work with standard LPK kits and other aftermarket kits

The set below is for JP fire control groups only

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/JP_E...jp-jps3.5t.htm

NRA Life Member
Old October 29, 2012, 06:44 PM   #17
Panfisher

Good Lord, shooting that thing is a disease! My wife chewed through most of my cheap Rem FMC ammo this evening, much to the distress of my old metal gong (3/8 steel) it chewed the crap out of it, but they were nicely centered.

I'm already looking at my next order of "stuff" and haven't received the first one yet. Well I can't say you didn't warn me. Now to my dismay i discover I am almost out of small rifle primers.