The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 24, 2012, 03:37 PM   #1
roadrat

Almost picked up a Kahr T9 today....

loved the gun, but I wanted to take some time to think about alternatives.

What are comparable guns to the T9? I dont want a polymer gun.
Old October 24, 2012, 03:52 PM   #2
PSP

The gun I'd most compare the Kahr T9 to is the HK P7. They are virtually the same size, very slim, have the same length barrel of 4", same capacity of 8+1, neither have a safety, both are striker fired. There are differences of course but they are very similar.

The T9 is a really nice pistol. It's all stainless, so it'll hold up well. The full grip fits about any size hand, the trigger is smooth and reoil is light. A nice gun for any collection or to carry. Not many are made and they are hard to come by.

For carry, I'd prefer the Kahr for personal reasons, but both are good guns.

Editorial comment; I know you said no polymer, but the TP9 is the one I'd choose over both of the guns above. Same features but in a much lighter weight package.

Last edited by PSP; October 24, 2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old October 24, 2012, 03:59 PM   #3
pilpens

If for CC and it fits your hand well, then it is a good. I would not buy one new --- too expensive for me.
======
GF rented a K9 elite --- It was nice accurate easy to shoot pistol --- she liked it. So, 2 or 3 weeks later, we got her a K9 trade-in with NYPD trigger. Upgraded the trigger myself to elite trigger. She has trigger pinch problem with both the NYPD and Elite trigger. She can't shoot plenty with it at the range but will keep it for CC.
======
I like the pistol, too. It is too small for my hands but workable for CC.
======
Old October 24, 2012, 06:01 PM   #4
vyse.04

I haven't shot a T9, but have fired a TP9. I liked it, but wanted to go a little smaller... so I walked out with a K9. IMO, there aren't a whole lot of handguns that compare with a Kahr (outside of dimensions). I'm not generally a big fan of striker pistols, but I do like the Kahr triggers. And I am partial to steel as well.
Old October 24, 2012, 11:31 PM   #5
chris in va

I'm rather fond of my K9, however...it doesn't see much range time as I can't put lead through it.
Old October 25, 2012, 06:30 AM   #6
SCDeac82

T9

It is a darn good looking gun.
"No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old October 25, 2012, 09:19 AM   #7
saltydog452

Other than frequent passes with a brass brush and patch, why no lead?

Mine shoots it OK, just a lot of the lube seems to stay in the barrel.

Thanks,

salty
Old October 25, 2012, 12:40 PM   #8
Dashunde

Quote:
What are comparable guns to the T9? I dont want a polymer gun.
I cant really think of anything else quite like it...
Maybe one of the single stack Smiths or Para 9mm LDA's? I'd rather have the Kahr though.

I've always wanted one of the larger all-metal Kahrs, but I'm not sure what I'd do with it?
It falls into a crack for me... too expensive for a truck gun, too heavy for cc, it has a great trigger but its not ideal as a pure range toy either.

Last edited by Dashunde; October 25, 2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old October 25, 2012, 01:18 PM   #9
Darker Loaf

I want a T9 pretty badly, as a side note, but probably will never buy one, since I own a K9. I'll probably just have to satisfy myself by putting wood grips on it and a ported barrel. Sigh.

There just aren't many guns like a T9 out there. There are more guns in a K9-style configuration, but try to find a gun like a T9? It has to be slim, single-stack, steel-frame, full-sized and striker fired? There are no guns like the T9, except maybe that HK above, but that's probably too wide.

Too bad glock doesn't make single-stacked, slim versions of their pistols. Springfield came out with the XDS in .45 ACP, but it's more of an in between pistol between the CW9/K9/P9 and the CM9/MK9/PM9 form-factor. It's barrel is 3.3" and the K9's 3.45", the T9 is 4". The overall lengths are similar: XDS is 6.3", the T9 is 6.5". The height on a K9 is 4.5", on an XDS it's 4.4" on a T9 it's 4.95". So, it's about what you can tolerate as far as your hand-size is concerned. And for me, these are mute points, as the XDS is in .45 ACP and not 9mm. I would imagine this will change, but that's how it stands for now.

A Walther PPS is pretty close to all of these, too, in length, height, weight and features. Just depends on if you are sticking to steel or not.
Old October 25, 2012, 02:52 PM   #10
PSP

Quote:
There are no guns like the T9, except maybe that HK above, but that's probably too wide.
Actually the T9 and P7 are the same width at their widest points at 1.1". The TP9 is a tiny bit more narrow in the grip than either the T9 or P7.
Old October 25, 2012, 06:21 PM   #11
got2hav1

I am planing to but one or the other P7 or T9. I am leaning towards the T9 since I love the Kahr trigger and the good looks are a big plus. The P7 is certainly a unique design and it also has a nice trigger. Decisions, decisions.

Update: bought the T9. I am really excited to see it in person and then shoot it. The pictures will have to keep me going until it gets here. I found a model for sale that had the contrast bar-dot sights, which I prefer over the night sights. though the T9 night sights are Novak and I could easily get used to those.
Colt OMM, GP100, Colt DS

Last edited by got2hav1; October 25, 2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old October 26, 2012, 01:19 PM   #12
Darker Loaf

Width of P7 and T9

Really? The T9 is 1.1 at the slide stop levers? I'll be danged. The slide width is 0.90". What's the slide width of a P7?

The wood grips do add width to the T9. TP9 would be thinner overall, I agree.

Last edited by Darker Loaf; October 26, 2012 at 01:29 PM.