The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 19, 2016, 08:30 AM   #1
redlightrich

40 shots, a racoon and a brother in law

Hello all, I may be in the wrong section and if so, I apologize. This section is becoming the AR section!!
Anyway, as me and my brother in law ( nice guy) were shopping for a 17HMR, he was telling me that 22lr is useless. He claimed that he shot a racoon 40 times with his AR lookalike 22. I asked him if he hit it at all? He laughed and said that it was only this far away ( he pointed to an item that was 15 to 20 feet away). I asked if he used a rifle or pistol, and that's when I realized he had used his mini AR. I shrugged and said ok?

Something doesn't make sense to me, but I have very little experience. As a child, I remember a friend taking a very large racoon with a Crossman Powermaster 760. Yes more than 1 shot, but 2 did it. Yes, he pumped the rifle more than the 10 pump max, but a 177 pellet did the trick.

Even standard velocity from a rifle would pass the Crossman specs. What am I missing. Was this Super Racoon, full of adrenaline or was my BIL bleary eyed and missing the target? Like I said, he is normally a good guy, and I don't think him a liar, but it really does not sound right. He is an experienced shooter, and can hit a barn. I have seen him shoot. I would not say he is great, but certainly good.

Because the weapon used was a Semi Auto rifle, I posted here.

Thank you

Rich
Old July 19, 2016, 08:43 AM   #2
madmo44mag

Could be because I shot a 35lb bore coon with a 30 carbine from a Ruger SBH and it just made him mad.
He fell from the tree 10 feet away, stood up and wanted to fight. Another round took care of him.
1st round was low center mass and 2nd round was a head shot.
Old July 19, 2016, 09:13 AM   #3
Double Naught Spy

Your BIL has some issues. He may have shot AT the raccoon 40 times or he may have shot a dead raccoon 40 times, but he didn't shoot a live raccoon 40 times with .22 lr from 15-20 feet unless he is some sort of gifted shooter that can do that and fail to hit anything vital or bleeds very much.

I like this video where the goobers claim the 44 mag is bouncing off the hog's head. They are just missing the hog with most of the shots.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI0l29YGA-c I suspect this may have happened with your BIL.

At that distance, if he was using the sights, the bullet was probably hitting a good inch or two lower (depending on zero) than where he was aiming. The more excited he got, the more erratic his shooting likely became.

The fact of the matter is that if you put enough holes into the animal, it cannot sustain blood pressure and will go unconscious and die. Remember that shooting a .22 lr into a raccoon is like shooting a .45-70 into a hog. You still have to use good shot placement.
Old July 19, 2016, 11:56 AM   #4
T. O'Heir

"...with a 30 Carbine..." FMJ? A 110 HP makes a grapefruit sized hole Rocky(BOAR or not) would not just get mad at receiving.
Like Double Naught Spy says, shot placement matters with everything.
And an AR is a .22. So is a .22-250 though. snicker.
Old July 19, 2016, 12:37 PM   #5
SRH78

Another thing to consider is that it isn't uncommon for dead animals to twitch. Also, especially with poor shot placement, animals can soak up a lot of lead before expiring. Even well hit animals can continue longer than expected if the central nervous system isn't hit. There is also a difference between hollow points and round nose. I am not saying he isn't mistaken or exaggerating, but he may not necessarily be outright lying. Then again...
Old July 19, 2016, 08:24 PM   #6
Mobuck

I wouldn't hang around when your BIL is shooting ANYTHING.
I've seen coons take several shots to finish but most of those shots were peripheral hits vs a couple in the boiler room.
I usually kill around 100 coons per year and most take a single low velocity 22 to finish.
Old July 20, 2016, 05:17 PM   #7
johnwilliamson062

What 22lr ammunition? I shot a box other than my normal brand a few months ago due to supply constraints, and it was wimpy. Second hand and it might have been old.
Was he shooting center-mass?
Did he shoot it once, see it was alive, shoot it again, then just decide to unload all his mags as fast as he could?
I think it would be possible to unload two mags into a raccoons center mass before it would stop twitching. Especially some of the lower velocity lighter weight loads. I shot a deer through and through with a 50 cal ML from inside 5 yards. When I dressed it well over 50% of the heart and both lungs was hamburger. The deer still ran about 50 yards before it crumpled. My buddy says no more that 30, but either way I probably could have unloaded a 30 round mag of 22lr before it hit the ground. If you don't hit CNS it is going to live a while.
Old July 20, 2016, 07:03 PM   #8
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

This reminds me of a hunting show I saw several years ago. This guy was elk hunting in the Rockies and blathered on the whole time about how he was using a .375H&H seeing how you "need enough gun" because elk are so tough to kill.

When he finally finds his animal, no more than a couple hundred yards across a small ravine, he fires one round and the animal runs maybe 100 yards and assumes the posture that any big game hunter is familiar with.... back slightly arched, feet spread a little, head hanging and getting slowwwwwly lower. Well, this guy blasts it again. You can tell that more than "run" it was sort of stumbling off in the direction the bullet nudged it. It sort of run/stumbles to near the top of the ridge and LITERALLY *as it was tipping over*, he blasts it again. Dude then turns to the camera and smugly says something like "See! Bring enough gun! I had trouble knocking that animal down with a .375!"

Idiot.
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old July 20, 2016, 11:20 PM   #9
redlightrich

Thanks all. I thought he was shooting at the racoon, and although it was 20 feet away, he must have missed most of the time.

I am sure he thinks he did hit it, but there is no way. 40 shots is an awful lot of shots.

Thank you all for confirming what I have suspected.

Rich