The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 22, 2012, 10:18 PM   #1
FLChinook

Do Nikon Monarch Gold scopes magnify the reticle?

In another thread, I ask for input about 4 scopes. I've reduced the choice to two and notice that the Zeiss does not magnify its retina when increasing scope magnification. This bothers me on my Swarvoski and I wonder if the Nikon also does this??

Choices:
Nikon Monarch Gold 2.5x10 x 50 (side focus) ($719)
Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14 x 44 ($829)

There's no prefect world and I have to choose. I like the Nikon side focus and 30mm tube. I like the Zeiss 14x top magnification...

It's going to be the Zeiss unless someone tells me the Nikon doesn't retina magnify; if the Nikon doesn't, I'll have to pull a few more hairs out...

Last edited by FLChinook; October 24, 2012 at 11:39 PM.
Old October 22, 2012, 11:01 PM   #2
Creeper

I believe you mean the "reticle" or aiming element of the scope.

In a variable magnification FFP or "first (or front) focal plane" scope, the reticle and object increases and decreases in size as the magnification increases and decreases.

In a variable magnification SFP or "second (or rear) focal plane" scope, the object in the scope increases and decreases in size as the magnification increases and decreases... but the reticle does not.

What Leupold says about the differences.

C
Old October 24, 2012, 10:34 PM   #3
insomni

was not aware that scopes has retinas.
Old October 24, 2012, 11:51 PM   #4
FLChinook

Sorry. I've edited the subject line
Old October 30, 2012, 11:13 PM   #5
bman940

Nikon Gold

Creeper is correct. FL. it sounds like you need to look down the 2 tubes of these 2 scopes. I have Used the MONARCH Gold before and it is a heck of a nice scope. Also worth checking out is Nikon's MONARCH X Scope. I have used the 4-16x50 Mil to shoot to 600 yards with my Hill Country rifle in .300 Win Mag..

Check the X out at, nikonhunting.com
Old October 31, 2012, 01:14 PM   #6
Ridge_Runner_5

If the reticle increases in size with magnification, that's a poor quality scope, in my opinion. Gives you no advantage, because you're still only going to be as accurate as those crosshairs, which are now larger.
Old October 31, 2012, 09:33 PM   #7
hoghunting

Quote:
If the reticle increases in size with magnification, that's a poor quality scope, in my opinion.
Zeiss, Swarovski, Night Force and other high-end scope manufacturers have models with a first focal plane reticle, and they are far from being poor quality.
Old October 31, 2012, 11:41 PM   #8
FLChinook

I thought this thread had run it's course

Quote:
Zeiss, Swarovski, Night Force and other high-end scope manufacturers have models with a first focal plane reticle, and they are far from being poor quality.
The Zeiss Conquest I just bought has a second focal plane reticle and the reticle size does not change with changing power. But my only Swarovski, and by far my most expensive scope does have a first focal plane reticle. I don't know why Swarovski does it that way but I believe they always have and there must be a reason...
Old November 1, 2012, 12:39 AM   #9
Creeper

Quote:
I don't know why Swarovski does it that way but I believe they always have and there must be a reason
For a mildot or ranging reticle scope, the subtention of a SFP is preset to be accurate at only one magnification... so you may be screwing up or down to use the ranging function. There is less subtention at higher magnification, which can be beneficial for a high mag, precision target scope and especially at known ranges. You can learn to range at other magnifications with a SFP, but that will require a first hand education with a specific scope and reticle design.

With a FFP, the subtention is accurate at all magnification settings. For many, this is preferred because no matter what the magnification, you have accurate holdover and windage reference, the ranging is still fully functional without adjustment, and... unlike the SFP, no potential exists for the reticle to alter POI as magnification changes.

How important is it to have one or the other? I prefer FFP for most all uses but known range, competitive target shooting where the ability to split hairs is critical. There are benefits to both in their own best environments... so pick your scope based on intended use.

IMO... Knowing your scope and your cartridge ballistics intimately is more important than what kind of scope you have.

C
Old November 1, 2012, 05:09 PM   #10
bman940

Scopes

Creeper, I like your answer! All scope producer's have something someone somewhere likes, otherwise they'd be out of business. Find what will work the best for your requirements. Just because a scope is FFP or SFP doesn't mean it's junk, it just means someone somewhere is willing to pay good money for it. This is an excellent site to start the looking process, throw your parameters out there and see what kind of help you get. You will never catch me telling you what you have to buy, I'll do my best to give you an answer to the best of my knowledge. Bottom line, do your research and weigh all your options equally.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/...2233-12rat.jpg