The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old November 16, 2012, 09:13 PM   #1
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

The Brady's and LCAV's Makeovers

You may or maynot be aware that the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence is doing a makeover (to preserve their relevance). You can see the results at We Are Better Than This!

This occured in mid-August.

Now, the Legal Community Against Violence (LCAV - a San Francisico attorney group) has done the same thing. They are now the Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence (LCPGV - it just doesn't resonate as well). Going to their old website, http://www.lcav.org/ redirects you to http://smartgunlaws.org/.

Better yet, they are more critical of the States gun-laws than were the Brady's.

http://smartgunlaws.org/gun-laws-mat...-gun-violence/

It should come as no surprise, which States have received an "A" and which were given an "F" (Idaho rated an "F" - Yippee)!!
Old November 16, 2012, 10:29 PM   #2
cannonfire

Sooooo according to that map, Montana has more gun deaths than Illinois? Do the people who publish this stuff actually believe their own lies?

Georgia got a D! That's the only time I've been happy with a D
Old November 16, 2012, 11:28 PM   #3
Glockstar .40

evidently its safer to live in cali then wyoming?? ill have to remember that when im driving through the ghettos of buford lol
Old November 17, 2012, 12:13 AM   #4
BarryLee

Quote:
Georgia got a D! That's the only time I've been happy with a D
This is a travesty I demand to know why we didn’t get an F?
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman

Last edited by BarryLee; November 17, 2012 at 12:51 AM.
Old November 17, 2012, 11:22 AM   #5
Spats McGee
Staff

Arkansas got an F! According to the website, we ranked 36th out of 50. I wanted to tally up our points to see how we did, but I just don't have time this morning. For those that are interested, the "scorecard" can be found here: http://smartgunlaws.org/wp-content/u...ethodology.pdf
Old November 17, 2012, 11:51 AM   #6
Crankgrinder

I notice every time i see political ads like these they refer to "protecting the second amendment", or "acknowledge second amendment rights while looking for solutions that will save lives" but they never state how they plan to do both at the same time. Maybe because they cant.
Old November 17, 2012, 11:53 AM   #7
SPEMack618

Ha! I made the same grade on my stat test as my state did. great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryLee
This is a travesty I demand to know why we didn’t get an F?
I would reckon it is because while GA is a shall issue state, you still have to go see the probate judge and then get fingerprinted before they let issue said permit.
Old November 17, 2012, 01:23 PM   #8
Stressfire

Ohio gets a D, lol

Only time I've been proud of a D in my life
Old November 18, 2012, 10:51 AM   #9
CowTowner

As a Texan, I'm honored to receive the F awarded to us. And I think it's about time we were properly recognized for our gun laws and their "shortcomings".
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old November 18, 2012, 11:25 AM   #10
Webleymkv

Since Indiana recieved an "F" I can only assume that "F" stands for "Freedom".
Old November 18, 2012, 11:34 AM   #11
MTHall720

I don't think I want to know what letter grade Maryland has. I would guess an A. Wish it was here like it was when I lived in Oregon and Montana.
Old November 18, 2012, 07:56 PM   #12
Warrior1256

Kentucky always receives an "F" rating from the Brady Bunch. I am very proud.
Old November 18, 2012, 10:39 PM   #13
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Hmmm ...

Quote:
As the nation’s only organization devoted exclusively to providing legal assistance in support of gun violence prevention, LCAV is actively involved in supporting state and local governments’ defense of Second Amendment litigation, educating courts, governments, and the public about the meaning of the Second Amendment, and developing common sense gun violence prevention legislation that complies with the Heller decision.
Read their information about the 2nd Amendment, the Heller case and the McDonald case, and you have to ask yourself: How can they presume to educate anyone about the 2nd Amendment when it's painfully obvious they don't understand it themselves?
Old November 19, 2012, 12:34 AM   #14
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
How can they presume to educate anyone about the 2nd Amendment when it's painfully obvious they don't understand it themselves?
Oh, they understand it well enough to distort its meaning.

Remember when they were swearing that the 2nd Amendment was about the National Guard and had nothing to do with individual liberty? Well, Heller blew that out of the water, so they had to shift gears. That's when we started hearing about "reasonable" regulation.

It's the same thing any PR company does well: damage control.
Old November 19, 2012, 11:15 PM   #15
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
Oh, they understand it well enough to distort its meaning.

Remember when they were swearing that the 2nd Amendment was about the National Guard and had nothing to do with individual liberty? Well, Heller blew that out of the water, so they had to shift gears. That's when we started hearing about "reasonable" regulation.

It's the same thing any PR company does well: damage control.
Yes, and it's also when we started hearing that the 2nd Amendment is about having the right to keep a gun for self defense in the home. Curiously, I have gone back and read it again ... several times ... and none of the copies I've been able to find seem to have the words "in the home" anywhere to be found.

I know, you know, and a lot of thinking people know. It's the others we have to worry about.

Tags
anti-gun , brady campaign , lcav