The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 21, 2012, 01:14 PM   #26
mitchntx

Quote:
The thing is, if the slide stop or anything else on the gun itself were defective then the OP should have the same issue with the flush-fit magazine, loaded magazines, or no magazine at all. Because, however, issue only occurs witht he extended magazine and only when that magazine is empty, I am of the opinion that the magazine is the cause of the issue. Actually, if anything is "defective," my money would be on a weak magazine spring in the flush-fit mag.
Not disagreeing with you.

But, the mag was shipped with the gun. If the mag is causing a functional issue, the cause is all speculation at this point.

Your hypothesis has valid merit, but it's still speculation.

Send it all back and get it fixed properly.
Old October 21, 2012, 06:57 PM   #27
orionengnr

Quote:
But he doesn't understand why it does it with one mag, and not the other.
He is overlooking the obvious.
The mag is the variable.
That indicates a mag issue.
Old October 21, 2012, 07:57 PM   #28
shortwave

Quote:
The thing you guys need to keep in mind though, is that not everyone has owned guns for years. This is my first handgun.
...and you've only had this gun for two days.

All the more reason for you to not make an attempt to modify the pistol in any way.

There's a reason for the squared shoulder on the back side of the slide lock. The squared shoulder on the slide lock mates with the square cut on the slide for a more positive fit when slide is locked back. There's a reason the slide lock is as tall, wide etc. as it is.

You don't want the back shoulder to be rounded or slanted. Think about it this way, your pistol is as tight as it's ever going to be when you first pick it up and put the first rd. through it. From that point on, your pistol continue's to get more loose. Change the dimension of certain parts when it's new and although you may not see a malfunction then, you may see one 5000rds. down the road which was created directly to the mod. you did when pistol was new.

Webleymkv attempted to explain this to you in his 1st or 2nd response.

Your pistol is supposed to be released from the factory with certain dimensions of every part for things to function as designed.

Again, if you feel your pistol is not functioning as it should you have two options:

1) Send it back to S&W for warranty repairs

2) Learn self taught gunsmithing on your brand new pistol and most likely voiding the warranty on your pistol.

Just a note if you opt for #2.
These are the kind of people that show up here or at their LGS many times cussing...

... "this piece of junk pistol I just bought from... (fill in your fav. gun manufacturer )...and I'll never buy another pistol from that sorry %^#*@ company cause not only did they sell me a POS pistol, they won't cover the repairs under warranty".

In other words, this type of person usually creates a much bigger, more costly problem for themselves by attempting to work on something that they have no clue of what its function is.

Most guys that have been around guns very long have run into this scenario at least a couple times.

Lastly, you've admitted to not knowing about guns. Nothing wrong with that. There are members here that are very knowledgeable(Wembleymkv being one) and they usually give spot-on advice. It would be good advice to stick around, read and pick these guys brains a bit before attempting any mods. They may save you some aggravation in the future.

P.S. Did you thoroughly clean/inspect your pistol AND MAGS prior to firing?

Last edited by shortwave; October 21, 2012 at 08:22 PM.
Old October 21, 2012, 08:31 PM   #29
spanishjames

Quote:
Quote:
But he doesn't understand why it does it with one mag, and not the other.

He is overlooking the obvious.
The mag is the variable.
That indicates a mag issue.
That was my first guess. I think we all agree. NerdNoise, it's the magazine.
Old October 21, 2012, 09:19 PM   #30
checkmyswag

As long as it consistently loads ammo w the different mags and behaves consistently with the different mags minus ammo I wouldn't be concerned about it at all.
Old October 21, 2012, 10:39 PM   #31
NerdNoise

I did clean the gun before firing, but not the mags.

I totally understand what you guys are saying, and I appreciate it.

I'm just the kind of person that likes to fix problems, and this just didn't seem like a big deal. If I had actually taken a file to it, that's different. But the main composition of the slide stop is still perfectly in tact. It holds the slide back perfectly fine. The only time it would slip off is after me trying to rack the slide with the +1 mag. You can see in the video that it would just barely catch, and sometimes slip off.

So yes, survey says, its the mag.
Old October 21, 2012, 11:00 PM   #32
shortwave

Quote:
I did clean the gun before firing, but not the mags.
Always clean your mags as well. They usually contain a lot of packing lubricant same as the pistol and could also have manufacturing debris(metal shavings etc) in them that could create problems.

Clean and dry them but it's best not to lubricate them.
Old October 26, 2012, 03:42 PM   #33
pete2

I wouldn't jack with the gun because of a bad magazine. Contact S&W and they will take care of it.

Tags
9mm , m&p , shield , smith and wesson