The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 21, 2012, 04:28 PM   #26
Metal god

I think it all comes down to cleaning your guns correctly . I think your right If you use the wrong tools and the wrong metods you will get bad results .I do take my 10/22 apart every time and only run the snake from chamber to crown . That being said , my 10/22 is my least important when it comes to the bore and crown but I still take care of it . I think I mentioned my slurry theory in a previos post above . I believe that goes for ARs as well .
As of this date 8-18-14 at 6:42am I became a proud grandfather I guess I'm officially old
Old October 23, 2012, 12:09 PM   #27
m_liebst

I don't always clean my 10/22 right after shooting it. It has layed in the carrying case for a few days a couple of times. If I'm spending a few days at my parents property, I'll just bring along a bore snake, and a few solvent soaked patches if the .22 shooting goes into overtime.
Old October 23, 2012, 05:50 PM   #28
Valerko

I don't believe any modern firearm needs to be always squeake clean.
That being said , I can se that it will hurt it.
Old October 23, 2012, 06:17 PM   #29
Hansam

I've got a 10/22 that's got nearly 10k rounds through it. The last time it was cleaned... nearly 10k rounds ago.

So far it keeps on functioning just fine. That said I DO do a field strip and wipe the interior parts down with a cloth soaked with Militec-1 oil every couple thousand rounds (basically when I remember to do it). Not exactly a cleaning, more like just making sure everything is coated in oil so as not to rust.
Old October 24, 2012, 01:01 AM   #30
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Isn't this why they just recently came out with the 10/22 takedown rifle in stainless?

So that it fits in the dishwasher.

I clean my 10/22s after use, even if it is just a quick bore snake chamber to muzzle and/or a little lube just to make sure that all keeps on being copacetic.

I generally do a complete tear down at least once a year on all of my guns; regardless of useage, I like to see how they are "wearing" and also to make sure that lube is where it should be.

Now, go figure...
Old October 24, 2012, 08:30 AM   #31
Rifleman1776

My "every 5 years" reply was really a tongue in cheek thing.
I do clean mine more often than that, probably twice a year.
But, fact is, it was bought used to be my truck gun, a real beater. It kicked around on the floor behind the seat for many years and worked whenever asked to.
It is now near my back door and is my 'critter gitter". There are few mechanical things I have ever owned that worked as reliably as this little rifle.
Old October 25, 2012, 03:44 PM   #32
Mr Budha

On my Marlin 60 I usually only clean the barrel because I'm timid about taking apart the action. It's seen maybe a total of 350 -400 rounds but still shoots great. I'll eventually take it apart but like many others said, I'll do it when I see a degrade in performance.
Old October 26, 2012, 08:30 PM   #33
K1500

If you are taking the barrel off to clean from the back, you are doing way too much work. If you can't stand the idea of cleaning from the muzzle, a bore snake is significantly faster than removing the barrel. I have seen a write up where someone drilled a hole in the back of the receiver to allow cleaning from the rear. Of course, you could just get a takedown model and clean the easy way. I clean my non takedown from the front.
Old October 26, 2012, 10:05 PM   #34
Ken - Oh

^^^^ And that is exactly an example of what I said earlier:
Quote:
I've heard it said that more damage is done by cleaning than not cleaning.
"The more law-abiding people that have guns, the better off we are," Hamilton County [Cincinnati] Prosecutor Joe Deters said. "Because the bad guys always have guns, You look at these school shootings or church shootings, the ones that have been stopped, it was because someone there had a gun."
Old October 27, 2012, 12:06 AM   #35
K1500

I agree.