The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 14, 2012, 11:09 PM   #1
DubC-Hicks

Which A2 lower?

Hey guys, I'm looking at buying a complete A2 lower for my PSA 20" upper. I'm looking to make it into an A4 clone. I've narrowed it down to Aero Precision, DS Arms, DPMS, and Double Star. I realize that for the most part, a lower is a lower, but I was wondering which brand you guys would go with. Thanks in advance. And I have searched everywhere for an answer, but there isn't much info on these brands. Not that I can find anyway.
Old October 15, 2012, 02:27 AM   #2
10-96

I have a DPMS and a Double Star. Really, they both do exactly what they're supposed to do. I like what the Double Star site has to say about their manufacturing processes- right in line and to the same standards and specs as the Colt military contract specs.

Personally, I guess I would go with the Double Star.

I'm going to use the words "clip" and "Long Colt" every chance I get. It grinds my gears to see new members attacked when we all know dang good and well what's being refered to.
Old October 15, 2012, 10:07 AM   #3
Technosavant

Any of them will be fine.

The only one I have any experience with is Aero Precision. They make lowers for many other companies; I don't know if they make any others you mentioned, but it's entirely possible those are AP lowers with different rollmarks. The one I used was in spec, not too tight, and would work for anything.

IMO, don't buy based on the rollmark- between those I'd just get whatever is cheapest.
Old October 15, 2012, 10:57 AM   #4
DubC-Hicks

The Aero lower I'm looking at comes with a DPMS lpk and A2 stock. How is the quality of the DPMS stuff. I was originally set on the DS Arms, but it seems like they all come with a notched hammer and I'm not sure if that will work fine. I'm running an auto carrier in the upper.
Old October 15, 2012, 11:41 AM   #5
Eghad

DPMS stuff will work just fine.

NRA Life Member
Old October 15, 2012, 01:49 PM   #6
Technosavant

I have DPMS LPKs in a few of my rifles. The hammer pins in a couple wanted to go walking on me, so I replaced them with KNS anti-rotation type. Otherwise, they're just fine- you shouldn't have a problem; the third rifle has been just fine with no issues.

The notched hammer won't mean a thing to you either way.
Old October 15, 2012, 07:27 PM   #7
BerdanSS

I'd go with

Areo
RockRiver
Yankee Hill Machine

Not in any certain order, put them alphabetic order so it cant be read into to much
Old October 15, 2012, 07:39 PM   #8
Mobuck

The lowers are all the same. It's the stock that's "an A2".
Old October 15, 2012, 07:51 PM   #9
DubC-Hicks

I know, I was just referring to a complete lower that came assembled with an A2 stock. So I believe I will go with the Aero lower. Does anybody know how well the finish matches PSA? Or if any of the others match better?
Old October 15, 2012, 08:14 PM   #10
Achilles11B

PSA and CMMG have worked well for me, and CMMG LPK's are as good as any mil-spec ones I've come across.