The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 22, 2012, 07:38 AM   #1
JonnyP

Considering Glock 27 Gen 4

All,

I am considering a G27 Gen 4 for CCW, but I have a concern.

A few years ago, I bought a S&W 642 .38 snubby for my wife. She hated it because of the heavy trigger pull and the fact that she couldn't hit a thing with it. Even I had trouble, so we got rid of it and bought her a G17. She loves it. I have a G22 Gen 4 and love it, but for CCW it's bit large, and carrying in the summer is an issue.

So I'm considering the G27 Gen 4, but I'm wondering if I'll have the same problem as with the S&W 642. I'm not concerned with the trigger pull as I have other Glocks, and I'm used to the pull, but the short sight line concerns me. My brother, an LE deputy, calls such guns a "get off me gun" and says these are usually used as backups for LE. I realize if I ever had to use it it would be for close range and most likely with the "point and shoot" method as opposed to any attempt to aim. I doubt I'll have a chance to fire one before I make the purchase.

Anybody fired one of these? Thoughts?
Old May 22, 2012, 07:43 AM   #2
TMD

My EDC gun has been a G27 for several years now. I keep trying other guns but always go back to the Glock. As far as accuracy goes if you are used to shooting Glocks you will be pleasantly surprised.
Old May 22, 2012, 07:49 AM   #3
JonnyP

Any issue with recoil from the small size?
Old May 22, 2012, 09:08 AM   #4
9mm

You can shoot faster follow ups with a 9 than 40, I like the 27 model only for down size to 9mm and 357 sig, 3 calibers in one.
Old May 22, 2012, 02:00 PM   #5
ScotchMan

Sight radius should be fine for anything up to 25 yards. I consider snubbies to be point-aim get off me guns, but a Glock 27 can be used for precision work. The heavy trigger and poor sites are what make snubbies weak IMO.
4. Equipment
Old May 22, 2012, 02:52 PM   #6
JonnyP

Scotchman,

That is precisely the input I was looking for, thank you. But now I'm hearing the G27 leaves your little finger "out in the breeze" because it is so short. Have you experienced that? I do have very small hands (guess I take after my 4' - 9" mamma), so maybe that won't be a problem for me.
Old May 22, 2012, 02:57 PM   #7
Constantine

Go with the G26
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen
Old May 23, 2012, 01:14 AM   #8
Walklightly

Constantine

Quote:
Go with the G26
Why?

Why not get a G27 and convert it to a 9mm?
Old May 23, 2012, 07:04 AM   #9
JonnyP

Walklightly,

I asked Glock about that over the phone. They said the G27 can be switched to a .357 SIG just by swapping the barrel, but going to a 9mm would basically require the entire top end and they do not recommend that. There are aftermarket slides and such that could be used, but Glock does not sell individual slides, etc., only barrels.

I also asked about recoil for such a small gun in .40. They said there is little difference between the recoil of the G27 Gen 4 and that of the G22 Gen 4 (which I already have) because of the dual spring mechanism of the Gen 4.

I plan to get my hands on one at the local gun shop as they have one in stock. If it fits my little hands, I think I'll give it a go.
Old May 23, 2012, 09:12 AM   #10
ScotchMan

Quote:
Scotchman,

That is precisely the input I was looking for, thank you. But now I'm hearing the G27 leaves your little finger "out in the breeze" because it is so short. Have you experienced that? I do have very small hands (guess I take after my 4' - 9" mamma), so maybe that won't be a problem for me.
Yes the subcompacts do not have room for your pinky. I have never found it to be an issue. Some people curl their pinky under the baseplate of the magazine; I find that to be extremely uncomfortable. I still grip the gun with my pinky, it is just sort of wrapped around the grip at an angle on the bottom. Feels fine and shoots fine.

Hickok45, a YouTube celebrity in gun circles, doesn't use his pinky on ANY handgun, even full-sized ones. His favorite gun of all time is the G27.

They also make a wide assortment of pinky extensions you can add to your magazines to allow your pinky to find room. Many of them allow +1 or +2 magazine capacity. There are +0 extensions available as well.
4. Equipment
Old May 23, 2012, 09:36 AM   #11
Dashunde

I'm not sure about the Gen4's, but the Gen3's can use aftermarket barrels for 9mm - no slide or other parts are required except for a 9mm magazine from the G26.

I dont notice my pinky hangin in the breeze and I manage some decent speed and accuracy with follow up shots despite its stout-but-manageable recoil.

The G27 to me is:
Fun at the range with 9mm
Very potent as a ccw with 9+1 of .40
A good shooter with .40 even with the recoil.
A bit thick and heavy for cc, gets me a bit crabby after a few hours iwb.
So far my most trusted all-purpose all-weather 100% reliable pistol.
Never far away.
Old May 23, 2012, 10:56 AM   #12
JonnyP

Dashunde,

I should clarify what Glock said about the 9mm conversion of a G27 Gen 4. What they actually said was that, yes, the 9mm barrel will slip right into the slide, but that something (and I don't remember the term) else that is sized for the .40 remains unchanged, and that's why they recommend changing the slide as well and not just the barrel. It's not that it wouldn't work to just change the barrel, but that it wouldn't be as good as it should be. (I wish I could remember what part or aspect of the gun the guy mentioned, sorry.)

As my purpose for this purchase is for CCW in an emergency situation, I'd rather not leave anything to chance. So I will probably will not attempt to use a 9mm barrel. Fortunately, .40 practice rounds are available around here and not much more expensive than 9mm, so I will just stick with the .40.

But you said something else I need to ask you about. You described the G27 as thick and heavy. Am I defeating my purpose? I envisioned something other than my full size G22 that I could stick in my pocket or in ankle holster, especially while on my Harley. Unfortunately, I cannot carry every day because I work on a military installation (yes, a "gun-free-zone" - don't get me started) so I would likely carry only occassionally. Thoughts?
Old May 23, 2012, 11:42 AM   #13
shamelessinct

Glock 27

When I retired from LE almost 17 years ago I was wearing an issue G19 and a G26 as a BUG in an ankle holster. I took a part time job in a small town and bought a G23 for duty and traded the G26 for a G27 to wear in the ankle holster. I'm more or less retired again, and still wear the G27 on a regular basis ; either in a IWB or a pocket holster. I can regularly hit bowling pins at 75 yards, and the only thing I have replaced in 17 years is one recoil spring and the original night sights. To each their own, but it's been a trusted companion for me.
Old May 23, 2012, 12:45 PM   #14
Dashunde

Jonny,
I'm not sure what would be different on a Gen4 that Glock is talking about, maybe nothing, could just be the hole size in the slide and they are only referring to thier 9mm G26 fitting the G27?
Fwiw the earlier pre-Gen4 G26/26's have been just fine and widely trusted for many years - I have not yet found the virtues of the Gen4's.

Gen3's...
The hole in the end of the slide (bushing) is larger on the G27 than the G26.
You can not take a Glock G26 barrel and install it in a G27.
The aftermarket 9mm barrels are thicker walled resulting in a larger outside diameter that does properly fit the larger hole/bushing of the G27 slide.

I wouldnt recommend carrying a G27 as a 9mm, but its great at the range - cheaper and softer shooting. Fun in fact.

The little Glocks are hard for me to carry comfortably - but I'm a bit of a wuss about that.
Frankly I just hate a gun pulling my pants down in general, and for a combination of reasons the baby Glocks aggravate me plenty after awhile.
They're short - minimal front/barrel/slide weight - that makes the fat cartridge laden grip the heavy end - that makes it top heavy iwb - combine that with its girth and now the top heaviness sticks farther away from the body and has more leverage to lean out.
It carries just fine if my belt is cinched to the point of future constipation, but who wants that?
Thats my take on it anyway.
I LOVE the gun, hate carrying it iwb.

For a pure carry weapon you might like the PPS or one of the Kahrs, or...?
My vote is definitely for a single stack.

Also... on a bike, the G27 might be just fine inside your leather vest or whatever, I dont recommend iwb carry tho - the wind can blow up your shirt so the world can see your pistola.

Check into the Kangaroo carry band thing - might be just what you need.
Old May 23, 2012, 03:31 PM   #15
JonnyP

Lots of good info here! Thanks to all! And to Dashunde, I checked into the Kangaroo carry band. Could be just the ticket, as you said. Thank you!
Old May 23, 2012, 04:33 PM   #16
Walklightly

Dashunde Post#11

Quote:
I'm not sure about the Gen4's, but the Gen3's can use aftermarket barrels for 9mm - no slide or other parts are required except for a 9mm magazine from the G26.
That's what I thought, and can't you convert G27 to a .357sig. also? I'll find out soon enough.
Old May 23, 2012, 06:33 PM   #17
Dashunde

Right, a G27 can be converted easily to .357 Sig (10 second barrel swap) and you dont need different magazines for the 357 because its a necked down 40 case.
It will run anything that the aftermarket folks make a barrel for.
Interestingly, the G26 and G27 use the same recoil spring assembly (go figure) so everything inbetween will use it too.

The appeal of the G26 is that its a pure Glock 9mm - no A/M parts - some may find that to be the way to go.

I'd go a step further with Kangaroo recommendation... try the one with the retention strap.

Last edited by Dashunde; May 24, 2012 at 07:06 AM.
Old May 24, 2012, 02:05 PM   #18
Constantine

Quote:
Go with the G26

I'm quoting myself ^^^^^

lol anyways...Just put in the G27 factory barrel and G27 factory .40 magazine. Carried that today...

Love having both in one.
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen
Old May 24, 2012, 07:46 PM   #19
Vermonter

Proud owner

Of a G27Gen 4. I dont have the carrying issues as mentioned above. I find it to be awesom for anything other than business casual dress.

I was putting com hits on standard silouets at 100 yards the last time out so accuracy is no issue for me.

Regards, Vermonter
Old May 25, 2012, 03:49 AM   #20
Walklightly

Constantine +
+
post 18

Quote:
I'm quoting myself ^^^^^

lol anyways...Just put in the G27 factory barrel and G27 factory .40 magazine. Carried that today...

Love having both in one.
+-
Options are great, but what options do you have with a G26?
Old May 25, 2012, 04:49 AM   #21
kcub

The G26 is very shootable.
The G27 is more like a snub .357. I really think your wife will hate it. There is a reason why you see lots of used G27's on the shelf compared to the G26.

If you must have a G27 get one of those used ones somebody else already took a bath on.
Old May 25, 2012, 07:04 AM   #22
shawnzie101

JohnnyP

the glock 27 gen 4 does have considerably less recoil than previous generations due to the spring system. It will very closely resemble your glock gen 4 22 however there is the pinky issue which will until you become used to it feel slightly more snappy.

Pearce makes +1 mag extenders that IMO should come standard with the gun (sorry Hickok I want to be like you so bad but it just doesn't feel right!) these little guys are like $9.99 minimally protrude add a round and compliment the gun perfectly.

Although the 27 is slightly on the thick side I find it to be very comfortable and very concealable. Honestly if you're going to concealed carry on a regular basis investing in a quality holster / gunbelt makes a world of difference.

With that being said the $150 or so i spent on a Crossbreed supertuck and a 1 1/2 inch thick gunbelt was one of the best investments I've ever made. I carry at the 3-4 position and I'm a very small guy 5 foot 5 135 lbs.

Bottom line. If the 22 gen 4 is manageable recoil wise adding that Pearce extender should make the 27 feel very similar, and a quality carry setup will alleviate any issues with comfortability and concealment.
Old May 26, 2012, 03:42 PM   #23
Walklightly

Quote:
The G27 is more like a snub .357.
In what way?

To me, a +P or +P+ 9mm is knocking on the door of a .357mag for power. Of course .357 will always be king over 9mm.
Old May 27, 2012, 08:00 AM   #24
Dashunde

Quote:
The G27 is more like a snub .357
Maybe like one loaded with .38's
G27 recoil is stout with a little snappiness mixed in, but falls well short of the outright violent kick of snubbie on magnums.

Its not a terribly pleasant on a cold day, and it makes my wedding ring slap my other finger, other than that I usually find it fun to shoot a box thru.
Old May 27, 2012, 08:40 AM   #25
FlySubCompact

Glock told you that a G27 would require a whole slide to make your gun "kosher". That is probably "lawyer-proof" or "I want you to buy another pistol" advice. (can't blame them for that)

I bought a LW 40/9 conversion barrel for our new Gen 3 G23. It shoots fine in that gun and my little Gen 2.5 G27 at the practice range. We both carry and practice with these in .40 mode though.

I am no shooting expert and and haven't developed my shooting enough yet to tell any kind of accuracy discrepancies on paper between running these guns in stock .40 or converted 9mm, but at up-close defensive ranges I can't see any difference.

That being said, I still would love to have a G26.

...and a G17 for the range....and one of thier 10mm's for hunting....