The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 18, 2012, 07:05 PM   #1
stuffrider147

First rifle and hunt

Hello to all,

I just came back from white tailing last week and got to borrow a friends 30-06. Our camp ended up with three but I never got the opportunity to pull the trigger. But let me tell you, I am hooked! Nearing the end of the trip, we set out cinder blocks at 250y and had a blast. Very exciting seeing them go up into dust.

So, I'm in the market for new all around bolt action rifle. What interests me is a synthetic stock, 24" SS barrel, detachable magazine. I like to hike and stalk the animal. I'm not into road hunting or waiting in the blind. I have three rifles in mind but I'm leaning towards the Tikka;

T3 Varmint Stainless 30-06 if I can find one. (Please post a link to any whereabouts)

700 SPS Stainless 30-06

700 Varmint Stainless .308

The more I look into .308 the more I want one but for bigger game, I'm unsure. I would like to know your opinions. This is a great forum and sorry for the lengthy introduction.

Take care
Old October 18, 2012, 07:24 PM   #2
skywag

Did you clean up the mess you made shooting the cinder blocks?
Old October 18, 2012, 08:42 PM   #3
jmhyer

I think any of the models you are eyeing are excellent choices.

As to caliber, both the .308 or the 30-06 will take any animal in North America. Also, ammo is plentiful and relatively cheap for both. I'm partial to the .308 but don't necessarily have a good reason.
Old October 18, 2012, 11:22 PM   #4
bamaranger

The .308 will do most everything that an '06 will. Depending on barrel length, bullet wieght, dx of shot, etc, etc, they are equals in the field. On deer, the difference is moot. Moose, elk, maybe........a little.

The '06 will throw really heavy .30 bullets a bit faster than the .308, but modern high tech bonded and mono-ally bullets have pretty much reduced the need for the heavy .30's.

"Roadhunting" is illegal in my area.

If you like to "hike and stalk" you may want to reconsider your choice of a rifle with a varmint weight barrel. Also I'm not sure how common a varmint weight production 'o6 would be. I've done a good bit of "stalking" (we called it still hunting) for whitetails, and a 22" sporter would be the largest dimensioned rifle I would want for that. Often a shorter "carbine" type rig was ideal.

Run an '06 through a short tube, you get .308 ballistiics. Brings me back to my first point.
Old October 18, 2012, 11:57 PM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

"I like to hike and stalk the animal."

Welcome to the club. But I can tell you that a rifle with scope, sling and ammo at eight pounds or less is far easier on the body that one of around nine pounds or more. It's amazing how just a couple of pounds affects one's enjoyment.

Hunting in country with a short season and probable long shots of 400 to 500 yards, Ol' Pet was a 9.5 pound, 26" barrelled '06. After a dozen miles, my shoulder renamed me "Stupid".

In country where shots of 200 yards or less was common, my seven-pound .243 carbine was as good as anything else ever made.

Nowadays? A 700 Ti in 7mm08 at fully-dressed weight of 6.5 pounds. I just wish those had been available, back forty years ago.
Old October 19, 2012, 12:57 AM   #6
bacardisteve

Like previously mentioned a varmint weight rifle isnt a lot of fun to lug around all day long. What type of terrain are you hunting? A predator type rifle with a 20" med weight barrell in 308 is a good choice and if chosen properly can be kept around 8lbs. 308 is an excellent caliber with tons of choices in factory ammo and there is plenty of relativley cheap plinking ammo as well. Check out a rem model 7 predator.
Old October 19, 2012, 08:00 AM   #7
hooligan1

Look at the Savage 116 "Weather Warrior" in 30-06, your buddies will hate you for be so freaking deadly!!!
Old October 19, 2012, 08:30 AM   #8
warbirdlover

Gander has the Tikka stainless...

http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...A&merchID=4006
Old October 19, 2012, 08:34 AM   #9
SurplusShooter

I have the remington 700 sps ss in .308. It is every bit as potent as a 30-06 with the right bullet weight and is a good round for general purpous.