The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 13, 2012, 07:05 PM   #1
insomni

Skeletonized rigid stocks for an M4?

I have reached the point where I want to add some rigidity to my M4 buttstock.
This ACE ARFX AR15 Skeletonized buttstock caught my eye.

http://store.a51tactical.com/index.p...oducts_id=1769

So does anyone have one attached to their rifle? Is it any good? Would you mind posting pics so I can get a better feel for what it'd look like on the actual rifle (I tried a Photoshop mockup using my rifle furniture and optics, but it's not really the same thing)? It LOOKS like it's threaded to replace the buffer tube, but is that so, or would I have to modify it?

Before the raging debate starts: I prefer to fight with my buttstock extended as opposed to collapsed because it gives me a more stable shooting platform than hugging it in close to my body. I think a rigid stock would do a little better for distance shooting as well, and really don't care for the weight of the A2 stock, or how it looks on a carbine.

Last edited by insomni; October 13, 2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old October 13, 2012, 09:24 PM   #2
djcantr

I do not have one on my rifle. I do plan on buying one for a dedicated 3 gun AR build soon. Some of the 3 gunners run the ACE stocks on their rifles. You must supply your own buffer, spring and buffer tube. The foam is just a sleeve that slips over your buffer tube. They offer a couple different lengths to choose from. I don't have any pics but this might help you: Google images search results
Old October 14, 2012, 05:59 AM   #3
madcratebuilder

ACE stuff is GTG. I have a ACE Ultra and use it in both rifle and pistol configuration, rock solid.

Old October 14, 2012, 01:01 PM   #4
wnycollector

I have an Ace ARFX on my S&W M&P15R (5.45x39). It's rock solid platform that's also quite comfortable to shoot...especially in cold weather! I run mine without the rubber butt pad so it's the same length as an A1 stock. It's also a few oz's lighter than an A2 stock making my carbine nicely balanced.
Old October 14, 2012, 07:22 PM   #5
insomni

Great to hear! I think I'm going to go with the 1" pad since that'll leave me right at the LOP I currently have.

I'm assuming the foam pad doesn't interfere with the charging handle?
Man and I was getting stressed that GTG M4 stocks were in the $200+ range.
Old October 14, 2012, 08:03 PM   #6
Comancheseven

I have this stock on my AR, went with the short stock due to body armor. It is rock solid and went through AR Patrol Rifle Class, and advanced Patrol Rifle Instructor Class. No problems with this system

Dave
Old October 16, 2012, 07:01 AM   #7
madcratebuilder

Quote:
I'm assuming the foam pad doesn't interfere with the charging handle?
You may need to take a piece of course sandpaper and bevel the leading edge of the foam. It just depends on what charging handle you have and if you tend to push down when charging.

I have had to bevel the leading edge on my UBR and PRS, I may have done my Vltor A5 also. It's not a uncommon experience.