The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 8, 2014, 01:07 PM   #1
h518may

9mm for the $

I am wanting a 9mm and I was wanting some opinions on the best for the $. I am leaning toward a gen 3/4 glock19. I also want med/full size not compact/sub compact.
Old February 8, 2014, 01:11 PM   #2
SHE3PDOG

The G19 is considered a compact. What will you be using the gun for?

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old February 8, 2014, 01:16 PM   #3
Nathan

XD9. This can be had for $400 used. Great gun.

G19 is also great, but you will pay a bit more.

Both are an ideal carry size, except they are a bit wide.

Kahr makes a C9 which is even better for CCW for about $420 new. It is thinner.

Given these choices, I would get the XD if I were a 1 gun guy, or the C9 if this were really all about CCW.

I consider the all medium sized.
Old February 8, 2014, 01:21 PM   #4
SocialAnarchist

h519may,

I'll make it easy for you. If you want a Glock buy a Glock. Because if you don't you will always be saying why didn't I just buy the Glock.

Myself, I would buy a Springfield XD. But I am not a Glock guy in the least.
Old February 8, 2014, 01:37 PM   #5
boykinhntr

I love Glocks so yes I would recommend it! However you can get a Taurus 24/7 G2 in 9mm. It's an awesome deal.
Old February 8, 2014, 02:02 PM   #6
Theohazard

The Glock 19 is called a "compact" by Glock, but it has a 15 round magazine capacity, the grip is wide and long enough to accommodate your entire hand (unless your hands are absolutely huge), and it has a 4" barrel. I would consider the G19 to be a medium-sized handgun that can easily fill the role of a full-sized.

I think the G19 is one of the best all-around handguns you can get. If I had to get rid of all my handguns and keep just one to do it all, I'd keep my G19.
Old February 8, 2014, 02:04 PM   #7
tahunua001

well I personally believe that the XDM is the best around for $600 and lower. the problem is that you are very vague with your request so there is very little I can do to help without a little more information.

are you only looking for striker fired guns like the glock or are you open to double action/single action hammer fired guns as well?

is this your first semi auto handgun or do you own others?

are you a resident of CA, NY, or other area that restricts the kind of handguns a law abiding citizen can own?

do you have any experience with other handguns and were those positive or negative?

for DA/SA, the Beretta PX4 is the gun I recommend most for under $500, the only other DA/SA gun that I've used that I thought was better was the Sig Sauer M11 but those are spendy, usually starting at $850.

for striker fired guns the Ruger SR9 is a good buy at $400 and given good maintenance can be very accurate and reliable. however many people seem to be moving away from the mindset that a manual safety selector is bad for a handgun and go out and buy a glock instead for that reason. as I stated earlier, the Springfield XDM is my favorite, but apparently a lot of people are moving away from the mindset that a passive grip safety is a bad thing and go out and buy a glock instead. so if you are a guy that thinks that the only safety you'll ever need is keeping your finger off the trigger then by all means go out and buy a glock...

I personally have read too many stories of guys whos glocks have gone off while still in the holsters because something went wrong to ever own one and carry it myself. I am guessing since you want service/intermediate size that you probably aren't planning on carrying concealed but that is one thing to take into consideration. with a glock all it takes is something to get inside the trigger guard to comepletely disengage all those safety features in the "safe action pistol".
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old February 8, 2014, 02:08 PM   #8
Goodguy14

For under $600... I love the beretta px4 storm. After tons of research and shooting a few. That's the one I went with..
Old February 8, 2014, 02:17 PM   #9
IMightBeWrong

CZ P01, Walther PPQ, M&P.

Glocks and XDs would come after those on my list.
Old February 8, 2014, 02:21 PM   #10
Kevin_d77

Walther PPQ M1
Old February 8, 2014, 02:25 PM   #11
Retread7

I had the exact same question 2 years ago. I researched it all carefully because I could only afford one pistol, and I needed one for everyday carry. I narrowed it down to the XD9, Ruger SR9C or the Glock 19. Then I went to my local gun store/ shooting range and tried all three. I really wanted to get the SR9C because I liked the looks of it.

I have never been all that good shot with a hand gun. This proved to be true with the XD9 and SR9C as well. The Glock 19 3rd generation (for me) on the other hand, was a different story. The grip angle is a little different than other pistols, and it was the most comfortable in my hand. I could shoot pretty well with it. Dang, I really wanted the SR9C, but the Glock wound up being the best one for me. I have been carrying it full time for 2 years in a Phantom Modular Holster from www.ravenconcealment.com (after trying three other more popular holster brands).
Old February 8, 2014, 02:31 PM   #12
Onward Allusion

Like the other guys said, the 19 is a compact. These days, 15 rounds is pretty much the standard for compacts. Sig's 229 is considered a compact and holds 13 rounds of 9mm. Their 250 compact holds 15 rounds of 9mm. Beretta's PX4 Compact holds 15 rounds of 9mm. Most "compacts" these days will accept mags from their bigger brothers.

With that said, if you want a G19 get a G19. You really can't go wrong with one. It'll take the 15 rounders flush and with the mag sticking out on everything else up to 33 rounds.

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Old February 8, 2014, 02:34 PM   #13
Fugit1ve Wizard

Get the glock and don't look back. Aftermarket accessories abound plus you can get your 15, 17, 33rd mags readily and compared to most other makers, on the cheap.
Old February 8, 2014, 03:00 PM   #14
Uncle Malice

You didn't specify budget... but I would say to look for a lightly used HK USP. They can be had for $500 or less frequently.

If you are wanting new only, the Glock 19 is a superb choice. I'm also a big fan of the S&W M&P in 9mm.
Old February 8, 2014, 03:11 PM   #15
Ruger45LC

I'd get a G19 or G17. I think the G19/23 size is perfect for all around use, carry use to home defense. If you want something a little bigger and don't plan on carrying it as much, the G17 is maybe a better choice. I've had both, currently have the G17 just because that's what I have, if I had to have just one though, it would be the G19.

Repent America!
Old February 8, 2014, 03:30 PM   #16
rodfac

Wow I'd really like to see some of the 'stories' about this phenomena; short of sticking your finger on the trigger and pulling same, it's pretty hard to imagine. It would seem to me that any DA pistol or revolver would be subject to the same scenario.

Quote:
I personally have read too many stories of guys whos glocks have gone off while still in the holsters because something went wrong to ever own one and carry it myself.
All in the interest of clarification...Rod

Last edited by rodfac; February 8, 2014 at 04:05 PM.
Old February 8, 2014, 03:48 PM   #17
Beentown71

XD essentials package is GREAT for $399.
Old February 8, 2014, 04:37 PM   #18
RC20

You really should separate out a striker type (glock, xdm, MP) etc from a Double action or even a double action only.

I am very committed to the DA type as I believe they are inherently safer. They match up with my revolver background as well so its a good fit for me.
Old February 8, 2014, 04:38 PM   #19
Tomac

If you like DA/SA then definitely consider both the Beretta PX4 and the SIG SP2022.
SP2022 is the better overall value, IMHO, it can be had w/night sights for the price of a PX4 w/o them. However, I prefer the PX4's recoil impulse (more straight-back w/less muzzle rise) but YMMV.
Tomac

PX4 Compact (sorry don't have a fullsize PX4) & SP2022:

ETA: "Glock Leg": http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...rm=Glock%20leg
Old February 8, 2014, 05:16 PM   #20
lanceman193

CZ 75B has been my favorite full size 9mm. Very accurate and eats anything.
Old February 8, 2014, 05:33 PM   #21
Waspinator

These threads are good for finding models to check out, but don't take the recommendations as the Bible of hand guns. Everyone is different and what works for one person, won't work for the next.

I recently went out looking for a 9mm. I used all the great suggestions found on this forum (and others) to find models to look for. What am I getting at??

I passed over a lot of the guns, that get recommended a lot here, after handling them. I decided on a gun that, while a good gun, most wouldn't pick over the others... but that is what worked for me!

For instance.. most people on this forum would call me crazy stupid for picking a Bersa UC9 Pro over the CZ 75 PCR that was sitting next to it in the case, even though I had the money for it. But, that highly recommended CZ-75 (it was beautiful, don't get me wrong) didn't fit my hands like the Bersa did. So, look at them all before you decide.. because you never know what you will end up liking in the end
Old February 8, 2014, 05:53 PM   #22
Fargazer

For the money, I haven't seen anything that can beat a Walther PPX. $400ish (often cheaper), 18 rounds, great trigger, and comfortable to hold and shoot. I gave my wife one for Christmas and she loves it.
Old February 8, 2014, 07:48 PM   #23
Worc

I'll second the Walter PPX for anything under the $400.00 mark. For under $500.00 I like the Steyr M9-A1 (medium) or the L9-A1 (long). The have the best polymer/striker trigger along with the Walther PPQ's. They have great balance and along with their low bore axis, has very light muzzle flip. Has a great grip and the controls are laid out well. Also just under or right at $500.00 would be the Beretta PX4, Sig 250, Sig 2022. The FNH's FNS/FNX and Walther PPQ would be closer to the $550.00 range.
Old February 8, 2014, 07:57 PM   #24
Uncle Malice

I just don't understand why anyone likes the PPX. The PPQ is great, but the PPX has an awful trigger, not nearly as ergonomic as the PPQ... it feels like Umarex tried to make a PPQ. I can not in good conscience recommend one.

Now, if you can find a PPQ M1... very yes. I'm also not a fan of the M2. It did away with several of the things that made the PPQ excellent.
Old February 8, 2014, 08:36 PM   #25
Dc777

Ruger p series!!!! The most under appreciated gun.

Paintings were made to look at, and guns were made to be shot. If you aren't going to use them as they are intended for, get rid of them and buy a Picasso.