The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 9, 2012, 10:41 AM   #1
mohr308

My Wifes .22

My wife has a Mossberg 702 plinkster (.22), it's a nice little rifle but have a concern. Im not sure if it's the ammo or the rife, but everything I shoot out of it is very inaccurate. I have tried 4 types of ammo with the same results.

Remington 36gr golden bullets
Federal 36gr
Remington yellow jacket hp 33gr
CCI Minimag 40gr

any ideas?

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; June 9, 2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old June 9, 2012, 10:52 AM   #2
mohr308

thanks for moving it!
Old June 9, 2012, 12:22 PM   #3
Buzzcook

Start by cleaning the thing. If it has one of those muzzle brakes/flash suppressors try taking that off. That is if they are removable.

If you have a scope on it check that.
Old June 9, 2012, 02:15 PM   #4
mohr308

I have cleaned that thing up and down, better than I clean any of my rifles. I have tried open sights, 2 different scopes. I did all of this bench rest style on targets ranging from 20-50 yds. There is no muzzle break.
Old June 9, 2012, 02:17 PM   #5
mohr308

I have so much .22 ammo now, I don't know what else to try
Old June 9, 2012, 04:14 PM   #6
Onward Allusion

What is your definition of "inaccurate"? 6" patterns at 50 yards? What were the wind conditions?

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Old June 9, 2012, 04:35 PM   #7
DnPRK

Try 40 grain standard velocity ammo.
Old June 9, 2012, 06:09 PM   #8
Marquezj16

Pictures or description of the target and shot groups?

Check the stock, is it lose or too tight?
How are you shooting?
Old June 9, 2012, 10:10 PM   #9
mohr308

Ok, I have checked the stock and everything is snug and tight. I was shooting on a bench with bags. My groupings at 20yds on a calm day, were not groupings at all. I was using a 12" target on a large cardboard backer, (yes it was attached well) my shots were all over the place. Once in awhile I would get a few rounds that would be grouped about 2" apart, then stray bullets that would be placed 10" apart from each other. I would clean the rifle after about 20 rounds. I have repeated this whole cycle with 2 scopes and open sights.
Old June 9, 2012, 10:25 PM   #10
Hansam

Maybe its not the rig...
Old June 9, 2012, 10:37 PM   #11
Onward Allusion

Quote:
mohr308
Ok, I have checked the stock and everything is snug and tight. I was shooting on a bench with bags. My groupings at 20yds on a calm day, were not groupings at all. I was using a 12" target on a large cardboard backer, (yes it was attached well) my shots were all over the place. Once in awhile I would get a few rounds that would be grouped about 2" apart, then stray bullets that would be placed 10" apart from each other. I would clean the rifle after about 20 rounds. I have repeated this whole cycle with 2 scopes and open sights
Um, @ 20 yards even the worst of the crappiest 22LR rifles will group 2". Have you taken a look at the barrel's crown to make sure there's no damage? Second, you said you tried 2 scopes and 2 sets of open sights. If you weren't getting consistent results, how did you know the scope was zeroed?

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Old June 9, 2012, 10:59 PM   #12
Marquezj16

If it's not grouping at all, I'd also check the crown. If there is no visible damage, I'd call Mossberg. I don't know anything about their customer service though.
Old June 9, 2012, 11:59 PM   #13
Bamashooter

I know the plinkster is a cheap rifle but mine was scarry accurate. For the money its as accurate as anything in its price range and then some. My guess is something is wrong with your plinkster. It should be piling bullets on top of each other, especially with mini mags. If you can send it back to mossberg you might want to consider doing so.
Old June 10, 2012, 10:25 AM   #14
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

I had a 10/22 which never grouped worth a hoot. I can say without exaggeration that over a period of several years I tried a dozen different sorts of ammo. Different brands, and both standard and high velocity.

Then I found QuickShok and all of a sudden all was happy-happy. Decent groups.

Damfino...
Old June 11, 2012, 08:11 AM   #15
aarondhgraham

I'm with Bamashooter,,,

There must be something wrong with your individual rifle,,,
At 25 yards mine will shoot one hole all day,,,
That's with Federal Bulk Pack,,,
Or milsurp Remington.

Call Mossberg,,,

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old June 11, 2012, 09:06 AM   #16
g.willikers

There's bad ones out there.
Considering how many lower priced .22s are made, it's a small wonder there's not more.
I once had one that just about shot around corners.
The next one that replaced has been outstanding.
You just never know.
Old June 11, 2012, 10:29 AM   #17
Goatwhiskers

Not knowing the history of the gun, I'll make this suggestion: recrown the muzzle, maybe even cut off about an inch to expose new rifling. Guns that cannot be cleaned from the chamber end often have damage at the muzzle from the cleaning rod, and you can't see it. I did have a Rem 552 in the shop once that was scary accurate with the iron sights on the barrel, but couldn't hit the proverbial bull's arse with a scope on the receiver. Turned out it was loose in the take-down joint and had to be tightened up, but this is not likely in your case. You say you already worked thru scopes and mounts, so the muzzle is about the only thing. Goat
Old June 12, 2012, 10:33 AM   #18
mohr308

thanks for all the different input, I think looking into the barrel might be the next step, or maybe even a new rifle if it comes down to it. I will try another ammo, but not expecting much. About the rifle scope and zeroing it, my cousin used a mechanical bore site to put me on the paper, which it did. Even without dialing it in, I should still have a grouping no matter where I was on the paper.
Old June 12, 2012, 01:18 PM   #19
Guns Blazing

Buy a Ruger 10/22...Problems solved.
Old June 12, 2012, 02:40 PM   #20
FiveInADime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns Blazing View Post
Buy a Ruger 10/22...Problems solved.
I would say buy a Marlin 60 or 795 instead since in my experience they are much more accurate than a stock 10/22 (at least my 10/22), but since Marlin doesn't make those anymore a 10/22 might be the best option out there.

Sent From My Galaxy S 4g Using Tapatalk
Old June 15, 2012, 01:16 PM   #21
BigMikey76

Quote:
Even without dialing it in, I should still have a grouping no matter where I was on the paper.
That is assuming the scope and rings are in good order. If there is some play in your set up, then your point of aim can be shifting from shot to shot, which will change your point of impact.

A gun should be a tool in the hands of a deadly weapon, not a deadly weapon in the hands of a tool.
Old October 14, 2012, 01:27 AM   #22
JohnEP

Mossberg 702 crown is poorly machined

mohr308,

My brother loaned me his Mossberg 702, as I agreed to free-float the barrel for him to see if it could be more accurate. After sanding all high-points off the stock, I took a bright light to the crown...

Yikes! The crown itself has a sharp lip that is pushed inward to be a smaller diameter than either the lands or grooves. Stroking a Q-tip out of the tip of the barrel catches threads.

After this lip, just inside the barrel, you can see the lands are ground away on 1 side of the barrel and not the other. In fact, these machining marks seem to dig even deeper than the grooves on this side of the barrel!

At first, I was tempted to lap the sharp lip off the crown. However, doing so would then further expose the asymmetrical rifling just below... At least the sharp lip seems to be a perfect circle!

How does YOUR crown look?

Also seeking advice from a wider audience: To lap, or not to lap... Any advice?
Old October 14, 2012, 08:26 AM   #23
osbornk

Quote:
I would say buy a Marlin 60 or 795 instead since in my experience they are much more accurate than a stock 10/22 (at least my 10/22), but since Marlin doesn't make those anymore a 10/22 might be the best option out there.
They quit making a Marlin 60? I think I saw one in an ad a week or so ago. I think it was $169. I noticed because I paid $110 for mine about 12 years ago. Mine is dead accurate.
Old October 14, 2012, 08:34 AM   #24
Marquezj16

To John EP - cut the barrel down and re-crown. I'd have a gunsmith do that for me.
Old October 14, 2012, 08:39 PM   #25
JohnEP

Poor crown common to the Mossberg 702?

To Marquezj16: Hiring a gunsmith to work on a $99 .22 plinkster rifle?

Hmmm... If I paid him full-price to recrown my mosin-nagant, maybe I could convince him to do the .22 for an extra $20 as a package deal (does not hurt to ask).

My Savage 64 (same $99 price when I bought it 10 yrs ago) has a pristine crown right from the factory. However, I do like the short barrel of this Mossberg 702 plinkster...

I restarted this thread to see if poor crown was common to the 702, and to see if anyone has a home-smithing solution for me.

Thanks again,
JohnEP