The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 14, 2012, 11:23 AM   #1
ThomasH

Post Break-in, Les Baer Dirty Pictures (Br-ass too!) >>>

Sorry this took a month or so, but I finally had time to take the "post break-in" dirty pictures of my two new Les Baers. (My job has been "killing" me, with little time for anything else - but at least I have a job!)

I'm not sure what the folks that have been requesting these expect to see, but here they are!

First is the Premier II, after 500 rounds.

Click for Big Image.

Click for Big Image.

And the only thing I noticed is the br-ass marks behind the ejection port. I am new to these 1911 pistols, is this normal? If not, does it indicate anything in particular? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Click for Big Image.

Next is the Monolith, also now 500 rounds old.

Click for Big Image.

Click for Big Image.

It also has the same br-ass marks behind the ejection port.

Click for Big Image.

Okay, now I can try to break these down without scratching the frame with the slide locking lever! I have the Alchemy Custom disassembly video bookmarked, and I'll be watching it repeatedly on my iPad!

Once I have these clean and re-lubed, I can go out and try to shoot for groups. That should be fun, especially after the gruelling break-in shooting I did.

I just heard my custom Desert Ironwood grips (from Sarge at The Finer Grain) have been mailed out and should be here by Wednesday. I had the grips made without the ambi-safety cut, so I better get these off to Rob to have the single sided safeties installed!! Woohoo!

Thanks for looking!

- Thomas

Last edited by ThomasH; October 14, 2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old October 14, 2012, 01:48 PM   #2
drail

Pretty much normal brass markings. It means the brass is just barely getting out of the way of the slide but they're making it out OK. Those are beautiful guns. Go to the 1911 forum and search for the "Logman slide stop mod". By filing a small groove on the inside of the slide stop right where it contacts the plunger it allows the stop to push the plunger aside and slide straight into the frame with no tools and no chance of scratches.

Last edited by drail; October 14, 2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old October 14, 2012, 04:29 PM   #3
ThomasH

Thanks drail, I will look that up!

I may have a gunsmith do the work, but anything that helps me not scratch the frame is welcome!

- Thomas
Old October 14, 2012, 07:02 PM   #4
drail

A cotton rag with a little cold blue will remove those brass tracks on the slide. People who do the idiot scratch on a new gun are simply not aware of how the stop and the plunger interact and they get frustrated and just force it in. Sometimes it goes in and sometimes it skates across the frame.
Old October 14, 2012, 07:53 PM   #5
insomni

Quote:
Post Break-in, Les Baer Dirty Pictures (Br-ass too!) >>>
Now I know thess hectic past two weeks have done me in... I was honestly expecting to see pictures of your doorframe after it had been kicked in during a home invasion with some brass on the floor of your living room from where you defended your homestead, though I was hesitant to see the "Les baer Dirty" pictures portion of the whole thing. . .

oh man it's time to go to bed.
Old October 14, 2012, 09:42 PM   #6
Atbat82

Quote:
I was honestly expecting to see pictures of your doorframe after it had been kicked in during a home invasion with some brass on the floor of your living room from where you defended your homestead
+1 I had exactly the same expectation!