The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 9, 2012, 08:22 AM   #1
Fox1

New Gun Case

I debated about putting this in the General Handgun Forum but it seems like it would also fit here.
Mods, please move if need be.

For years I have been storing my handguns in their cases in that small space in my gun cabinet that is under the space for long guns. I know a lot of people do this as well. I was getting sick and tired of having to kneel down to unlock and retrieve a handgun out of this lower space every time I wanted to go shoot one.

I decided there had to be a better way so I drew up an idea for a free standing "case" with drawers on the top and shelves on the bottom, both protected by locking doors. I e-mailed my drawing off to my recently retired father (who happens to be a genius carpenter/cabinet maker/engineer) and he came up with the design and built it.

What we ended up with is a cabinet (or case) about 4 feet tall with two locking doors on the front.

Opening the bottom door reveals 5 adjustable shelves for handgun cases, holster storage, whatever you need to store. The bottom cabinet locks so that if I ever run out of space above, I can still store and secure handguns in the lower area.

Opening the top door reveals 6 drawers on ball-bearing drawer slides. Each drawer will hold 2 to 3 handguns (depending on size) and their magazines or additional cylinders or sights. We lined the bottom of each drawer with some black, spongy, expanded foam drawer liners.
I think in the future I may switch to white drawer liners in the drawers with black handguns and leave the black drawer liners in the drawers with stainless handguns just so that the handguns will stand out visually when you pull a drawer open.

Anyhow, that is the description, here's the pictures.
Hope you like!

Old October 9, 2012, 09:41 AM   #2
Chuckusaret

That's really a neat cabinet, and I do believe the majority of wives would approve of it. My store bought stack-on's did not pass my wife's approval and now reside in the utility room.
Old October 10, 2012, 12:41 PM   #3
Beagle45ACP

Beautiful

That cabinet has all the requirements that I would look for in a handgun cabinet; ample space, very well designed, locking (kind of obvious), a very classy look (so it wouldn't be sequestered to the basement, garage, or utility room), and concealed (anyone who sees it just thinks it's a cabinet of some kind, but most would not suspect that it holds a small arsenal of pistols).
All-in-all, very well done, you and your father should be proud of the design and of the craftsmanship that went into it.

Wastin' away my future children's inheritance one box of ammo, range fee, and bottle of Hoppe's #9 at a time.
Old October 10, 2012, 01:58 PM   #4
aarondhgraham

The sincerest flattery one can garner,,,

The sincerest flattery one can garner,,,
Is to have someone copy you.

Consider yourself flattered,,,
I'm gonna copy your idea very soon.

Nice job by the way.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old October 10, 2012, 02:15 PM   #5
Fox1

Copy away!
That was one reason I posted this. This has been the best thing I've ever owned for storing, securing and (kinda) displaying my handguns. No more getting down on the floor to get to them, no more risk of scratching them up because they are piled on top of each other, and I can sort them by caliber, function or even ownership (bottom drawer is for my son's handguns).

One of the most expensive parts was the drawer slides. We ordered them from Rockler and I think it was $16 a pair but well worth it.
I think the cost of the wood made up the rest of the expense.
Old October 10, 2012, 03:50 PM   #6
DaleA

A very handsome cabinet!

It looks like it could be in your family for generations.