The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 12, 2012, 03:40 PM   #26
Mello2u

It might not be age per se; but some disease processes that are associated with age might limit one's ability to manipulate and fire certain handguns.

For example, my mother is 93 and has destructive arthrosis which has caused many of the joints in her hands and fingers to be partially destroyed and to deviate from normal function. This joint destruction is painful. Recoil is more problematic as it causes pain. This joint destruction causes her to use her hands less and leads to loss of strength.

At this point in her life, she has become incapable of competently firing a handgun of any type. A couple of years ago she came to this conclusion and gave back to me the 3" S&W model 36 I had given her for home defense.

Personally, I still shoot my full power .454 Casull and .44 magnum occasionally. I do not consider them to be within my range of self-defense cartridges. I limit myself to the 10mm auto on the upper end of the power range in a two pound handgun.
" Frederic Bastiat
Old October 12, 2012, 04:12 PM   #27
Mark In Texas

For some of us, especially those who are older and have extreme myopia, 12 gauge is too much gun. The heavy recoil can actually damage your retina.
Old October 12, 2012, 04:16 PM   #28
stalkingbear

I used to LOVE shooting my .454 Casull but ever since a bike wreck left a steel plate and a bunch of screws in my r/wrist the biggest I can comfortably shoot now is .44 mag.
Old October 12, 2012, 05:19 PM   #29
warningshot

My apologies to those whom age and injuries limit the enjoyment that shooting can bring.

For what it is worth, I’ve found that an all steel four inch K frame size .38 Special revolvers loaded with 158 standard pressure loads works great. The gun in big enough to hold on to, aim and reload. The Colt Official Police and DiamondBack 38s are making a real comeback. Best wishes to one and all.
Old October 12, 2012, 07:48 PM   #30
4V50 Gary
Staff

About twenty years ago I found out the .454 Casull was too much gun for my wrists. I pass on that. No sense on hurting yourself.

Ditto with the .416 Rigby. Who needs a detached retina?
Old October 12, 2012, 07:56 PM   #31
sheepman

When it hurts to shoot that gun, it does not have to be the caliber, just the grip or trigger may hurt even thought it did not before. I have some arthritis in my hands and some guns that have been my favorites now hurt. Recoil was never a problem but it is now. The magnums and Rifle caliber contenders and encore are not fun now. Too soon old and too late smart.
Old October 13, 2012, 11:44 PM   #32
farmboy

Severe back pain can change everything.

I've gone from a Ruger SP101 in .327, which has plenty of juice and is very manageable, to pocket carry a Ruger LCP, and I find myself even leaving THAT at home on occasion.

Eyesight, joint pain, and many other age related issues can have an effect on what we carry.
Old October 14, 2012, 12:11 AM   #33
Chuckusaret

I am at the stage of life where it is more fun to fondle the big calibers than shoot them. Hopefully one of my adult kids will pick my Raging Bull .454 when I allow them to each pick a gun on thanksgiving day, my collection will decrease by five by guns.
Old October 14, 2012, 06:25 PM   #34
Clifford L. Hughes

You have to much gun when you can't manage the recoil without flinching.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery Sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired
Old October 14, 2012, 06:55 PM   #35
Cheapshooter

Kinda like "Too much fun"!

Quote:
Too much fun? What's that mean?
It's like too much money, there's no such thing
It's like a girl too pretty, with too much class
Being too lucky, a car too fast
No matter what they say I've done
I ain't never had too much fun

No matter what they say I've done
I ain't never had too much fun
Give me the reins and let me run
'Cause I ain't never had too much fun
If I can't hold it up, I'll bench rest it!!!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old October 15, 2012, 07:13 AM   #36
g.willikers

Isn't that like asking when do you have too much ammo?
Old October 15, 2012, 08:23 AM   #37
j3ffr0

You might have a little too much gun when it's almost as scary to be on the right end of it as the wrong end of it.
Old October 15, 2012, 12:19 PM   #38
GregInAtl

I recently bought a used Ruger Security Six because my wife has trouble operating the slide on my Sig 226 and my 45acp. She even had trouble pulling the double action trigger. I had the trigger lightened and now she can operate it. So, that will be my home defense gun for her.