The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 10, 2012, 10:06 AM   #1
915A

Sig P238, thoughts?

I am researching for the Mrs. and I know the Shield, PPS, and CM9 comes up alot. But I have not seen mention of the P238, is that because its not on par with the ones listed?
Old October 10, 2012, 10:13 AM   #2
CCCLVII

I own a P238 and I like it alot. When I first got it I had some problems with feeding it ammo but after playing with it for a while I found ammo that it likes. (It likes cheep blazer and expensive Buffalo bore 100 grain FN lead standard pressure rounds)
Old October 10, 2012, 10:18 AM   #3
915A

how is the trigger on it?
Old October 10, 2012, 10:34 AM   #4
Mystro

Trigger is excellent. My neighbor is trying to sell me his off duty P238 HD. I just dont like the 380acp. The 9mm is alot more powerful, easy to shoot and has much cheaper ammo. I would only buy the P238 because I am a Sig Sauer fan boy and because it oozes quality.
Old October 10, 2012, 03:51 PM   #5
comn-cents

Love mine, great sights & really light recoil, It was on my list for the wife.
It is one of the few slides that my wife can work consistantly. The only down side is the thumb safety. My wife is not a gun person in anyway & for her to have to swipe off the safety is something she is not willing to work with. Kind of makes me sad, but when I met her she had no tollarance for guns now she talks about getting her CCW.
Old October 10, 2012, 05:16 PM   #6
Yung.gunr

I love mine. I had wanted one for a couple years and the opportunity finally came up. My wife got an LC9 about a month before I got my P238 and I feel that the P238 shoots a lot easier. I know it's kinda comparing apples and oranges, but as far as a carry gun for a wife I would go with the P238. She hasn't shot my P238 but has handled and dry fired it. When she first dry fired it her eyes lit up. I'm pretty sure we will be trading a couple guns to get her a P238. But, I told her she needed to put at least 100 rounds through her LC9 before we trade it off.

As far as pocket autos go the P238 is my hands down favorite.

Last edited by Yung.gunr; October 10, 2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old October 10, 2012, 05:30 PM   #7
LockedBreech

I've carried an LCP for two years and trust it completely, but I finally got to shoot a P238 and was very impressed. A well-built gun with a great trigger.
Old October 10, 2012, 05:39 PM   #8
915A

Thanks guys, its worth a look. We cant find a Shield anywhere to give a try. Will look at the 238 and 938, try and find the PPS, CM9, and the elusive Shield(at least in my area)
Old October 10, 2012, 05:54 PM   #9
Yung.gunr

I have not shot nor handled the 938 but if it is in your budget I would take a serious look at it. I didn't really want it because I wanted something pocket sized.
Old October 10, 2012, 07:49 PM   #10
915A

The 938 is about 50 more than the 238, and it is the "Nightmare" version. The 238's im looking at is the "Rainbow" and "Lady". Perfect for the wife lol!
Old October 11, 2012, 10:14 AM   #11
Pianoguy

From most reports the P238 is a real nice gun - where it differs from almost all other pocket semis is that it is SA only - you have to carry it cocked & locked - which a lot of people aren't too keen on. As a SA only gun the trigger is very nice and easy to use compared to the competition. But it's also a 380 competing with new pocket 9s and compared to otehr 380s it's not cheap. But it's a Sig and well built.

Hickok45 did a review of it and he sort of did some hemming and hawing about using one for CC due to the SA trigger - for him that's the same thing as saying for most people they might not be the best idea.

The gun's been out for a while and has been sort of superseded by the Shield, the Sig 938 lately and some others but it still comes up quite a bit as a nice 380 option. There's not much wrong with the gun per say as long as you can live with the SA trigger on a pocket gun.
Old October 11, 2012, 11:18 AM   #12
pilpens

Instead of the pistols you listed, Shield, PPS, and CM9, and P238, I would get a Kahr K9 or CW9 provided if fits her hand.
====
All Kahrs (3 K9s, 2 CW9s, 1 PM9) I have tried have nice smooth DA pull and all have been accurate pistols; like the K9 the most.
====
1st choice:
When my GF wanted her own pistol, we got a Kahr K9 police trade in (NYPD trigger) $385 + shipping and transfer fee. We wanted all steel for better recoil management.
NYPD trigger beat up her trigger finger bad. So, I worked on the pistol with approximately $30 in parts to upgrade it to an Elite Trigger.
Elite Trigger breaks earlier than the NYPD trigger which allows less chance for the trigger finger to slide down to the trigger guard during recoil.
I expect that she will like the upgrade. Testing will be this weekend. If she does not like, It will be my CCW.
In all, we spent $385 pistol + $45 shipping and transfer fee + $30 elite trigger parts for a Kahr K9.
====
2nd Choice:
If you want a new pistol and on a smaller budget, the Kahr CW9 may be good --- it was mild on recoil considering the size of the pistol. It already came with the elite trigger from the factory.
====
Shield or PPS. Have not tried to shoot the PPS or Shield. PPS is not as comfortable to hold as the Kahr K9.
===
P238 - I do not like 380 because of ammo cost.
Old October 11, 2012, 11:38 AM   #13
915A

Thanks for the contiued advice. We are gonna go out and try to let her operate as many options as possible. I made the choice on the SR9c, which we both thouroghly enjoy. But I want her to be completely comfortable with something she wants to carry in her purse or pocket.
Old October 11, 2012, 11:40 AM   #14
jimbob86

Quote:
P238 - I do not like 380 because of ammo cost.
For you, and folks like you (Me), SIG came out with the 938.

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProdu...tols-p938.aspx

I don't have one ....yet.

http://nefirearm.com/
Old October 11, 2012, 06:13 PM   #15
vyse.04

Quote:
But I want her to be completely comfortable with something she wants to carry in her purse or pocket.
That's the important thing. I looked at the P238, but personally I would not want to carry a SAO in my pocket. That was the thing that made me look elsewhere. Not that it is/should be a dealbreaker for anyone else, but that is just my thought. It also didn't help that I really enjoy the PPK. I've heard so many stories, but it was one of the softest shooting firearms that I have used.
Old October 11, 2012, 09:49 PM   #16
Billy Shears

In 40+ years of handgun shooting my short time owning one of these little nightmares was the most completely frustrating gun-related experience ever. Never again. Especially if that means dealing with Sig's Customer Service. Just plain awful.

Last edited by Billy Shears; October 12, 2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old October 12, 2012, 08:52 AM   #17
BillyJack3

Early P238s had some issues that have since been addressed. I have a 27A (beginning of serial number) and it's been flawless!!! Great trigger compared to the others and mine has been very reliable with Federal / American Eagle ammo. I researched many of the ones that you are looking at and after shooting a few of them, the Sig was the clear winner for me. It's also ridiculously accurate for it's size.