The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 9, 2012, 08:54 PM   #1
Miketodd04

Review: Nate's Custom Holster leather IWB

I am in no way a part of this company or any of its affiliates.

Nate’s Custom Holsters IWB.
So I met Nathan Petersen on 1911forum.com and ended up getting one of his IWB leather holsters for a commander sized 1911. Nate is a great guy and is actually full time active duty Air Force. He makes holsters part time when he isn’t defending our Nations freedom. He does everything by hand from drawing his patterns to using a Tippman Boss for his stitching. He uses American leather either by Tandy or by Springfield Leather that is 6/7oz and picks everything out by hand. He believes in making a good quality holster that doesn’t break the budget, yet compares to some of the big names out there.

Opening the Package:
From the time I talked to Nate to the time the holster arrived was a few days. He already had one ready to be shipped so it took no time at all. He doesn’t waste time on fancy packaging or marketing, and relies mostly on word of mouth for his orders. The holster came wrapped in paper in a brown box and when I removed the paper, I was instantly impressed. This is one good looking holster! He also includes some business cards. I love when small businesses do that. It means that they really believe in their products. I always put a few of the cards in my wallet in case I run into someone looking for that type of product.

Initial Impression:
After opening the package and inspecting the holster, I can instantly see that Nate makes a fine product and really takes his time. All the edges were burnished nicely and there were no strings or frays hanging from the leather. He also stamps his makers mark on the product and uses the best leather he can find. The 1911 I carry is a Sig Nightmare so the top of the slide is a little bit squarer than a classic 1911 slide. It was a tight fit at first, but I inserted the gun into the holster and let it sleep there for 2 days. After that, I drew the gun a few times and the fit became perfect. The leather straps are nice and stiff and the snaps are very secure. It takes some pressure to snap them but once they are, you feel very secure. The make of the holster offers a combat cut and the attention to detail is fantastic. The leather is even molded to the safety in the “locked” position. The holster sits at a good level for concealed carry and allows you to get a full combat grip when drawing your firearm. The holster also provides excellent concealment and great retention on the firearm. It is tight enough that you won’t worry about it falling out, yet allows you to have a smooth draw.

Final Impression:
Well after wearing the holster for two weeks. I am very impressed. Nate’s products do not give you the feel of a part time, self-taught leather worker. His attention to detail is great and you can see it and feel it with his products. I did not have any problems with his product, but I have a feeling that if I did, his customer service is just as good as his craftsmanship. His holsters start at $60 for his OWB and $70 for his IWB. The one I tested is $80 due to it being two toned dyed. He has also made some Thigh Rigs that look AMAZING too. Now for the downside, I just received an E-mail from him saying that he is only taking orders until DEC. 1ST of 2012. After that he will work on those orders and those orders only. Due to his job, he is going to have to take a sabbatical from holster making for a little bit. I truly hope he starts back up next year because he really is making one fine product. I would recommend his rigs to anyone and have 100% faith in his product. As a member of our Armed Services, he lives by his word and stands behind his product. I feel that Nate’s Custom Holsters would be a great addition to anyone’s carry rig.
His website is Nates Custom Holsters | Wix.com and he can also be found on 1911Forum.com.

[IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUR-7...layer_embedded

Thanks everyone for watching and reading my reviews. Any comments are appreciated!
-Mike Todd
Straight Shootin' Reviews

Last edited by Miketodd04; October 10, 2012 at 06:22 PM.