The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 25, 2012, 10:23 PM   #1
hoytinak

Got a Auto-Ord 1911 today...

I've never been much of a 1911 guy, owned 6 of all different brands and the one I came closest to keeping was a STI Ranger II in 9mm (actually regret selling that one ). Anyways, this a basic goverment model Auto-Ordnance. It's had a Chip McCormick trigger/hammer swapped in along with an extended beaver-tail safety and had a match bushing fitted. The blueing's rough but the gun's a real good shooter. I just took it apart to inspect (which has rough machine marks all in it), clean/lube. I don't think it's been cleaned in several years but cleaned up pretty good.

I have no way to put up pics right now but can anyone tell me about these Auto-Ord 1911s? Anything I need to look out for? It was made in West Hurley, NY and the serial number is AOC17xxx, if anyone has a manufactoring date chart for them.

Thanks,
Trevor

Last edited by hoytinak; October 25, 2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old November 1, 2012, 02:26 AM   #2
hoytinak

I guess no one owns a Auto-Ord 1911 on here.....oh well screw it, I got the info I needed....
Old November 1, 2012, 09:53 AM   #3
Fishbed77

Not much to react to without photos.
Old November 1, 2012, 10:37 AM   #4
Robk

Quick web search showed that many do not believe the Wesy Hurley guns had very little actual control in the quality control department. Not their best work supposedly. That said, I recently purchased a AO PITBULL ZG-51. Price was right and it has been "Bubba'ed" pretty good, but I do plan on getting it to work properly. Your AO seems to have already had some tweeks that made it a good performer. Seems to me that you have a shooter. Enjoy it.
I also am having issues in finding information on serial numbers, but by reading others who have posted about them, I guess mine was made in early '94. Good luck with your new 1911. If it works like you want it to, than you made the right decision despite what others may say.
Old November 1, 2012, 01:47 PM   #5
Strafer Gott

I bought one in the late 80's. A friend of mine tweaked it for me. It has been great. Fires anything, shoots straight. Makes a good place to start from. Expect to do a little work.
Old November 1, 2012, 04:42 PM   #6
RGPM1A

I too bought one in the 80s - my first 1911. It was a disappointing jam-o-matic that I sold a month after I bought it. I replaced it with a Federal Ordnance Ranger. It now has about 30k rounds through it.
Old November 1, 2012, 05:59 PM   #7
polyphemus

A.O's are now made in Worcester Ma,generally speaking they are project pistols very closely resembling M1911A1's series 80 blocked,metal injection small parts and investment cast frame and receiver.Quality control is uneven at best but if you know your 1911's they can be made to work without sending them back.
Your firearm has been modified with after market parts so the issues are only applicable to your setup,a customized firearm should be trouble shot by the craftsman who made the changes to it.
Old November 1, 2012, 07:58 PM   #8
rep1954

I inherited an unfired old West Hurley that wouldn't get through a single magazine without one to two problems of some kind. I replaced the extractor with a Wilson Bullet Proof and bought a couple of new Kimber seven round magazine and it's gone over 1200 rounds without one problem.
Old November 1, 2012, 08:16 PM   #9
Robk

Near as I can tell, magazines for these pistols were junk. Every thread I have read about these has had one resounding theme. Buy good magazines and dump the original. Now as said, mine has been slightly reworked by someone with little knowledge of what they were doing. Someone shaved down the grip safety so much as to cuase hammer bite. Also the recoil spring appears to be a cut down full size spring. But tommorow should bring me my EGW FLGR and Clark reverse bushing. Should be up and running to full potential by the weekend. Cross your fingers...
Old November 1, 2012, 09:12 PM   #10
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
I bought one in the late 80's. A friend of mine tweaked it for me. It has been great. Fires anything, shoots straight. Makes a good place to start from. Expect to do a little work.
That's about right. AOs were not the best, but could be made to work. The frames were good and so were a favorite to turn into race guns in the IPSC days of the 90s, since they were cheap. Actually Chip McCormack used one at one time.
Old November 1, 2012, 09:40 PM   #11
Walter

Quote:
Quote:
That's about right. AOs were not the best, but could be made to work. The frames were good and so were a favorite to turn into race guns in the IPSC days of the 90s, since they were cheap. Actually Chip McCormack used one at one time
There it is. I bought one new in 1987, gun wouldn't fire two consecutive rounds without jamming. A few hours with a set of needle files, some sandpaper and scotchbrite and a dremel with a polishing wheel, and it fires everything I put in it. I will never buy another one, but I keep this one for a spare, "Just in case".

Walter
Old November 1, 2012, 11:17 PM   #12
solitude127

Where's the pics?
Old November 2, 2012, 06:58 PM   #13
Walter

here you go...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Auto-Ordnance 1911a1 (550x367).jpg (200.7 KB, 26 views)