The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 4, 2016, 06:05 PM   #1
bspillman

22lr feeding issue questions.

Hey folks I'm needing some help. I picked up a Savage arms model 954. It has a10 round magazine. The problem is when the magazine is full and I try to release the bolt the nose of the ammo jams into the front of the receiver just below the chamber. When I load only 5 rounds it works perfect. I have tried CCI and Remington ammo so I'm pretty sure it's the either the gun or the magazine. Can some one give me some onsite on how to fix the problem?
Old May 4, 2016, 08:24 PM   #2
cw308

Does the problem start with 6 - 10 rounds, check the magazine spring, you can try to rotate it the angle maybe slanted down at the front. Did you buy it new? If used, clean the magazine inside, can order another a magazine. I don't think its the rifle.
Old May 4, 2016, 08:41 PM   #3
Cowboy_mo

Call Savage, especially if it is new.
Old May 4, 2016, 09:35 PM   #4
bspillman

No it's not new. I bought it used. The mag spring makes sense tho. Thanks for the input.
Old May 4, 2016, 09:48 PM   #5
FrankenMauser

If you can't make that magazine work, new ones are $12-17.
Old May 7, 2016, 01:00 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

A Savage/Stevens/Lakefield M954 is the same rifle as a Savage M62 and 64. Same as my old Cooey M65 too.
Manual is here. http://stevespages.com/pdf/savage_62...er_rimfire.pdf
Start by giving it and the mag(they strip by removing the base plate on the bottom. Slides out easily assuming there's no rust. Also assuming your mags are steel. Some are Al or plastic.) a really good bath.
If you can, try a different mag. $16.29 each from Midway. Not the only game in town. Savage 62/64/954 mags are easy to come by, but not exactly cheap any more.
"...tried CCI and Remington ammo so..." You need to try as many brands as you can. .22's are just like that.
Old May 10, 2016, 04:44 AM   #7
mannyCA

Definitely sounds like a mag issue, get some new ones or if you want you can try messing with the mag lips yourself. Probably would want to see if another mag fixes the issue before you start mucking around with the lips.
Old May 10, 2016, 03:14 PM   #8
cw308

I would think a lip problem would happen with the first to the last round. I dont know if you can buy a spring for the magazine, Brownells might be the place to look. This is a minor problem that sometimes is fun to correct, a good magazine & spring cleaning, check position of spring when installing back into magazine. If that doesn't correct a new mag will solve the problem. Also a good cleaning, de-grease & oil bolt housing & bolt travel. Should be something to do first with a used rifle. A good look over. Its like never seeing that scratch until you clean & wax your car, were did that come from!