The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 17, 2012, 08:44 AM   #1
jrhilde

New 8-shooter from Ruger--

Went up to my favorite gun store yesterday to really check out the new SP 101 in .22 LR--I'd seen it before but after reading many reviews on the net, I wanted to check it out thoroughly myself due to some of the reviews commented on the extreme trigger pull, both single and double action---this is a very handsome gun, stainless, carbon fiber front sight, adjustable rear and very attractive grips---unfortunately, the hammer "pad" is serrated, but pretty small and after cocking and releasing in single action several times, my thumb was extremely sore---Although it was mentioned in some of the reviews that this gun can be safely dry-fired, I didn't try the double action pull, apparently it often measures more than the 12 lb scales can read---I was very disappointed because I really wanted this gun, but realized my wife wouldn't even be able to cock it---most of the reviews stated that with a trigger job or replacement trigger it would be outstanding as a trail gun or possibly for concealed carry---I wish Ruger could lighten that trigger a little----------------John
Old October 17, 2012, 09:06 AM   #2
Venom1956

DA RF .22s have to be heavier then their CF counterparts so they can reliably ignite rimfire primers. I'd just have a smith look at it. he can probably smooth out some parts without sacrificing spring power Smoother pulls can make a DA much more manageable.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph.
Old October 17, 2012, 01:54 PM   #3
Obambulate

Maybe try the LCR-22. The trigger is definitely lighter than 12 lbs. 8 shots and no recoil. Your wife might like it.

As a trail gun? Probably not ideal, because the DAO might limit the practical range for hunting small game. But it's lightweight, weather resistant, reasonably accurate, and can handle a wide variety of ammo.

I carry mine around the yard and on walks. My main concern is poisonous snakes and stray dogs.