The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 1, 2012, 08:22 PM   #1
Polinese

Pre b cz 85 Magazines

So I just learned that mags for the B version of the 75/85 don't fit the pre b series. Frankly had I known I probably woudln't have bought my pre b 85. That said is there a good source for pre b 85 mags or am i stuck searching gun broker for used ones.
Old October 1, 2012, 08:39 PM   #2
Creeper

You can get them directly from CZ or any CZ distributor or retailer. The item number is 11114.

C
Old October 1, 2012, 09:24 PM   #3
Polinese

Thanks! Glad to know they didn't abandon the pre b's.
Old October 1, 2012, 09:48 PM   #4
Creeper

No problem... I had ordered a few in 2009, and I figured they still made them.

C
Old October 2, 2012, 12:02 AM   #5
Polinese

On a semi related note. How interchangeable are parts between my early pre b 85 and a newer 85.
Old October 2, 2012, 04:34 PM   #6
shep854

'Pre-B' CZ-85? Are you sure? The only pre-B's I'm aware of are the original CZ-75s. CZ-85s are a different version, intended for competition. AIUI, the 85 will take 75B mags.
Gun nomenclature can be tricky, but that's new to me.

I'm very interested to hear this clarified!
Old October 2, 2012, 04:45 PM   #7
Polinese

Well it definitely doesnt have a firing pin block, rounded trigger guard, spurred hammer, says czechoslovakia not czech republic on the side. But the heck if i know guess i'll have to shell out the cash for all the different magazines and see what fits.
Old October 2, 2012, 04:55 PM   #8
shep854

Polinese, I hope I didn't come across as questioning your firearms knowledge; I'm genuinely interested in learning and there are quite a few variants of the CZ-75/85 pistols. If I don't know about one, I want to find out!

What I did to find mags for my pre-B 75 was to take the frame to gun shows and check mags for fit before buying.
Old October 2, 2012, 04:58 PM   #9
WVsig

The CZ-85 is the ambi version of the 75. IIRC there are a lot of Frankenguns out there from CZ and the pre 85 is one of them. You can find them with squared off trigger guards, round trigger guards, adjustable sights etc... but they do not have the firing pin blocks so they are still often considered pre B IIRC.

The other thing is that sometimes the B mags work in Pre-B guns. It really varies from one gun to another so if you know someone who has factory 15 rounders not 16s not Mecgars give them a try. They might work and save you some money.
Old October 2, 2012, 05:25 PM   #10
Polinese

Shep not that at all, sorry if I came off as abrasive, rough day at work.

I've been trying to find anyone who had the 15 rounders, which is what mine came with, but so far no dice.

How much do the rest of the parts interchange anyone know?
Old October 2, 2012, 05:56 PM   #11
shep854

That's the Interwierdz for you...no body language to buffer content...
People love to mix & mod gun parts...my pre-B has a B hammer on it. Apparently the original spur hammer bit a previous owner. The original hammer came with the gun; I keep meaning to swap it back, then find some original grip panels.
Old October 2, 2012, 06:10 PM   #12
Walt Sherrill

Yes, there were a number of pre-B 85s. As you move forward in time, the 75s and 85s become more like the B models, and the last pre-B are virtually identical to the Bs, but lack the firing pin block. Those late pre-Bs will accept the new mags without problems; many of the older pre-Bs won't.

Any of the older CZ factory 15-round mags will work in a pre-B, as will factory 10-round mags. If you just want some mags for the range, shop around for older 10-round factory mags for the range (or IDPA, if you do that). For home defense or carry, buy one or two NEW pre-B mags from CZ (at their outrageous higher price.) You can often find the older ones, or people willing to trade old for new. Interestingly, they all use the same springs, which you can get from Wolff.

Mec-Gar now makes the CZ factory mags, but most Mec-Gar mags, new or old, give the older pre-Bs trouble.

A local gunsmith can open up the mag channel (in the grip) of your pre-B so that it will accept the newer mags. Take him the gun and a couple of the newer mags and ask him to make the grip area inside just a little larger; it won't take much, as it's just the top that needs adjustment.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; October 2, 2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old October 2, 2012, 07:47 PM   #13
tekarra

Several years ago I opened a pre B frame to accept the new magazines. As Walt says, the issue is only a short distance in the upper part of the frame.
Old October 2, 2012, 07:50 PM   #14
Polinese

How much would a job like that cost? I can't imagine it has much of a turn around time right? Assuming the smith isn't backed up with a bunch of other projects.
Old October 2, 2012, 07:53 PM   #15
Walt Sherrill

For many gunsmiths, it would be their "minimum" charge. Take one to a local GS, and show what you want done, and ask him for an estimate. It shouldn't take long, at all.