The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 23, 2012, 04:54 PM   #1
SoilworK777

Which 870 Forend?

I'm looking for a new non-pistol grip style 870 12ga forend. I like the look of both the Choate and the Speedfeed. Ideally I'd like to feel each one, but I am not in a position to do so. Any thoughts as to one versus the other?
Old September 23, 2012, 05:02 PM   #2
Creeper

Nope... tried neither, but my neighbor just got his Magpul forend (and stock)... and it's pretty slick, so maybe throw that one on the list.

C
Old September 23, 2012, 05:36 PM   #3
SoilworK777

That one looks pretty cool. I'm guessing the high sides on it are to prevent burning of the hands on a hot barrel.
Old September 23, 2012, 05:43 PM   #4
Creeper

Yep... and most all the Magpul MOE accessories fit it. If I had an 870, I'd be all over their stock and forend.

C
Old September 24, 2012, 07:34 AM   #5
SoilworK777

I appreciate the info Creeper. I'm leaning towards the Speedfeed, partly for the appearance and partly for the price point. It looks pretty grippy.
Old September 24, 2012, 09:19 AM   #6
drail

I have always preferred the Speedfeed but the important thing is to choose one that leaves enough space at the rear between the forearm and reciever so that your hand cannot get pinched in the gap when racked back hard and fast. That really hurts. I have a Speedfeed that would pinch you so bad that I finally removed and shortened it on the rear end. It can't pinch you now.
Old October 1, 2012, 06:33 PM   #7
BoomieMCT

I have the Magpul fore-end on one of my 870's and I'll give it a +1. I like the high sides and the palm stop at the back.

It will NOT fit the supermag without a bit of dremeling though.
Old October 1, 2012, 08:54 PM   #8
Mrgunsngear

The forend really is a winner. I love mine.

Magpul Furniture Review Video Link
Old October 2, 2012, 04:18 PM   #9
checkmyswag

I like the magpul forend a lot and plan to get one. Dont care for the buttstock though. Looking to get a mesa recoil reducing buttstock setup.

For the forend there are some that are all rails if you are into hanging all sorts of stuff off your gun.
Old October 2, 2012, 09:02 PM   #10
mingheemouse

I have used both the Speedfeed and the Choate, and really liked the Choate for its extra thin profile, it is about as minimalist as you can get. I still have a Speedfeed on one of my less frequently used 870s, and it gets the job done, but honestly I find the rarely seen yet excellent synthetic Remington Police forend that mimics the lines of the wooden forend on their standard Model 870P to give the very best feel and control.

Since you expressed that you had no interest in mounting a vertical grip on the forend, this may be one to consider. All of the older patrol officers in your area will also look at your shotgun with fond memories. Brownells still carries them, (767-000-083 F106560 FORE-END, SYNTHETIC, POLICE) for like $35, though none of the Remington line on their website wears one, and the wooden model is only available on one model on their Law Enforcement site.