The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 22, 2012, 04:01 PM   #1
Kazaam

How heavy does a handgun have to be before you start feeling fatigue?

Figured I'd ask ye experienced shooters out of curiosity, and because of the fact I'm getting a handgun thats 42.2 ounces (2.64 lbs) with the magazine (unloaded I think) and was wondering if that much weight would make me tired. I understand each person is different so I'd like to get input from as many people as possible. Thanks!
Old September 22, 2012, 04:09 PM   #2
Wyosmith

I know some cops that say a 1911 or a K frame S&W is too heavy.
I have carried a 4" N-Frame S&W or a standard size 1911A1 for about 40 years and they seem fine to me.

So I have to say it's not a matter of the gun, but who's carrying it.
I guess my spine is stronger than some other people's. A 44 OZ gun seems completely normal to me. I am fairly short, 185 pounds with very little body fat. So maybe I am more of a plow horse than a race horse.
Old September 22, 2012, 04:48 PM   #3
mete

Cops carry an enormous amount of stuff ,not just the gun .I'm surprised that more don't use suspenders to distribute the weight.
A shootout occurs in very short time so there usually isn't a problem there. What also surprises me is that a department requires all to carry the same size guns despite differences in hand size .I do applaude that more guns are now available with interchangeable grip panels
But then I'm all too practical , right ?
Old September 22, 2012, 05:14 PM   #4
Smit

Not much. Lighter wights you think wont affect you when you are dog tired add up quick, especially when they shoot bullets.
Old September 22, 2012, 05:40 PM   #5
Kreyzhorse

Are you concerned its too heavy to carry or shoot?

As far as carry goes, with a proper leather gun belt and holster the weight isn't much of an issue.

As far as shooting them, I think lighter guns wear me out quicker since there isn't much weight to help absorb recoil. Weight and recoil is pretty subjective to each individual shooter.
Old September 22, 2012, 05:44 PM   #6
RamItOne

Sig P226 Stainless Elite?
Old September 22, 2012, 06:02 PM   #7
sigarms228

At the range, at least for me, a heavier pistol can be less tiring because of the way it handles recoil compared to a lighter pistol in the same caliber. Lots of 1911 shooters using pistols weighing 40+ ounces including myself.
Old September 22, 2012, 06:08 PM   #8

Kazaam-

Make you tired how?

As in carrying it holstered on your belt?

Holding it at arm's length for prolonged periods?

Holding it during recreational shooting?

If you'll specify a bit more, you'll probably get some better answers more inline with what you want.

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION
Old September 22, 2012, 06:08 PM   #9
g.willikers

This one:
https://s2-us2.ixquick-proxy.com/do/..._5032-tfb1.jpg
Old September 22, 2012, 06:10 PM   #10
spacecoast

Are you talking about shooting or carrying?

Shooting-wise, I sometimes use a 6-1/2" S&W Model 629 (N-frame .44 magnum) for Bullseye, which requires one hand unsupported precision shooting at 50 yards and 25 yards for a total of 90 shots. Yes, the gun is heavy and front-heavy (48.3 ounces empty, over 50 ounces loaded), but if you pay attention to keep the nose up it can be done. I work out my arms and wrists regularly to maintain the needed strength to handle such guns with minimal shaking.
Old September 22, 2012, 06:26 PM   #11
dfsixstring

I don't know what my Ruger SR9c weighs loaded (10 round mag), but it can get a bit weary by the end of the day sometimes. I particularly feel this when shopping with my wife...then again, that may be another kind of fatigue.

Dfsixstring
SR9c
LCP
RST4S
Old September 22, 2012, 09:23 PM   #12
Edward429451

It's all about the holster and belt for me. I have no discomfort lugging around a 40 oz 45 IWB, in town. The same holster wont work camping or hunting because of higher activity levels. Time for a shoulder holster in the Mountains, (as well as moving up to a 53 oz gun!)
Old September 22, 2012, 09:26 PM   #13
Kazaam

Quote:
Yep. Sorry I didnt clarify in the initial post--I mean while shooting. I dont think I'll ever carry this. Appreciate the help fellas!
Old September 22, 2012, 09:31 PM   #14
jimbob86

You can get used to it, as the human body is awonderfully adaptable machine, at least while you are young.

The more you excercise a muscle, the stronger it gets (up to a point- too much of anything, even a good thing, can be a bad thing.).

http://nefirearm.com/
Old September 22, 2012, 10:14 PM   #15
RBid

These guys are all brand myopic, and are plugged into group think, so they aren't givin' you the straight skinny, dudes. Ounces are pounds, been sayin' that for years, you know tha'. Some dudes disagree. That's cool. I just go off my own data points, based on years of runnin' 'n gunnin' in the desert, runnin' the project. The best gun is the one you have on you, not the one on the nightstand back at home. If you want a point of reference, you need to look at the Glock 17. Yup, dudes. That's right. I said it. I just tell it like it is. You've seen it here on camera, many times over the years. But it ain't perfect. Maybe you like a Glock 17 better.

By which I mean, "it's all relative to the carrier." Just about anybody can carry a 14-18oz gun comfortably. I suspect that 25oz is still easy for nearly everyone. Around 30-32oz, fewer people will be good for full time carry. Upwards of 40 probably feels like a brick for many or most.
Old September 22, 2012, 11:29 PM   #16
drail

Carrying any gun (steel or polymer) all day demands a good belt and holster. The less you spend on a carry rig the sooner you'll want to take it off.
Old September 22, 2012, 11:48 PM   #17
TheGunGuy

Been carrying a SIG 229 IWB in a TT Gunleather "Mikes Special" with a quality gun belt for years. 5:30 am until 9 or 10 pm. I never really notice it. From time to time I am remined it's there, but not because of it's weight or due to fatigue. BTW, I am 6'1" and 220 lbs.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
Old September 22, 2012, 11:48 PM   #18
sigcurious

Quote:
These guys are all brand myopic, and are plugged into group think, so they aren't givin' you the straight skinny, dudes. Ounces are pounds, been sayin' that for years, you know tha'. Some dudes disagree. That's cool. I just go off my own data points, based on years of runnin' 'n gunnin' in the desert, runnin' the project. The best gun is the one you have on you, not the one on the nightstand back at home. If you want a point of reference, you need to look at the Glock 17. Yup, dudes. That's right. I said it. I just tell it like it is. You've seen it here on camera, many times over the years. But it ain't perfect. Maybe you like a Glock 17 better.

By which I mean, "it's all relative to the carrier." Just about anybody can carry a 14-18oz gun comfortably. I suspect that 25oz is still easy for nearly everyone. Around 30-32oz, fewer people will be good for full time carry. Upwards of 40 probably feels like a brick for many or most.
Someone just channeled their inner nutnfancy. lol
Old September 22, 2012, 11:50 PM   #19
22-rimfire

Feel heavy while shooting.... hum. I suspect just about any gun you buy would eventually feel heavy while shooting it. Try holding your hand straight out in front of you and see how long you can do that. I bet you have problems in a few minutes. It is possible to do this, but it takes mind control over muscle control.

Saw a movie once where Jan Michael Vincent was in basic training and had to hold a bucket of water in each hand outstretched as punishment. In the movie, he could hold his essentially until he dropped when others tired out within a minute or two. I found this interesting and tried it... it works.

Not to be insulting, but this is generally not a factor. Firearm weight is a carry factor but rarely a shooting factor and is subjective. That's why you will hear a gun like a GP-100 is too big or heavy and too large to conceal, but you rarely hear that they are too heavy to shoot. In fact, the weight makes them more comfortable to shoot.
Old September 23, 2012, 02:24 AM   #20
10-96

And I just want to add something that bears a place in the back of your mind as well. Lets say the firearm weighs 5lbs! It's not like the thing wont run out of ammo at some point, right? The only time you might concern yourself with excess weight is if you're using your firearm in something like Conventional/Bullseye pistol competition. Then, too much weight will show itself as shakes, wiggles, and inabilities to even catch the bullseye on it's way past the sights.

Shooting is fun, meant to be relaxing (in my mind)- so unless you're against a clock and numerous other shooters or such... slow down and relax if the thing gets heavy. Besides, if you shoot all willy-nilly and dump 15 rounds into a 15"x15" area- how are you going to analyze what you did wrong and need to improve upon?

Anyway, don't shoot til you're tired. Put the thing down- reload, tell a story, study your groups, take notes, take a breather- then pick up where you left off.

I'm going to use the words "clip" and "Long Colt" every chance I get. It grinds my gears to see new members attacked when we all know dang good and well what's being refered to.
Old September 23, 2012, 09:00 AM   #21
Dashunde

~42oz is about the same as a standard 1911. Sounds just about right to me for the range.
Old September 23, 2012, 01:03 PM   #22
KyJim

I agree that carrying depends upon holster and belt. I sometimes carry all-steel 1911s at 38-40 ounces unloaded and they are not a real problem. I usually prefer the alloy versions, however, that will knock off 10 to 12 ounces.

For shooting, I think ultra-light guns are more difficult to shoot with. Every slight tremble or imperfect trigger pull is magnified because the dampening effect of the additional weight is lost. Obviously, a very heavy gun can be fatiguing after a number of rounds. The exact amount depends upon the user but also the gun itself. I shoot a 1911 with hand/thumbs forward which balances the gun very well and decreases fatigue somewhat.
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old September 23, 2012, 06:43 PM   #23
RamItOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazaam
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamItOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazaam
I'm getting a handgun thats 42.2 ounces
Yep.

Man I must have a sickness to have gotten that one right on the first guess
Old September 23, 2012, 08:07 PM   #24
Kazaam

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamItOne
Man I must have a sickness to have gotten that one right on the first guess
LOL, nice call! I figured you'd seen my other threads, but maybe you really do have a sickness!

Last edited by Kazaam; September 25, 2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old September 24, 2012, 10:05 PM   #25
Straightshooter629

To the OP...that question is almost impossible to answer because of the number of factors involved. You must consider the weight of the gun, the physical status of the individual carrying, the type of holster, the quality of the holster, the quality/type of belt...you get the point