The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 15, 2012, 09:39 PM   #1
jasmith85

How is the Kahr CW45?

I don't have any experience with Kahr, but I will experience one soon enough because I won an auction for a CW45 earlier today. I didn't go on the site planning to buy one but it seemed like too good of a deal not to bid on. I got it new in box for $241 including shipping. I have never owned or even handled anything made by Kahr. Truth be told I didn't expect to win the auction when I bid on it, but it seems like a good price so I won't complain. How is their quality and accuracy? If I like it I'd like to use it as my new carry gun. Are they reliable enough to trust my life with them?
Old October 15, 2012, 10:31 PM   #2
chris in va

Eh...the 45's are hit and miss. Once Kahr deviated from the stellar K9 problems started to crop up.

You'll find the trigger is quite smooth and helps with accuracy. The low bore axis keeps muzzle flip down. Might want to get a Hogue grip sleeve though, the 45 recoil is stout and the rough grip tends to chew up your hand.

Do the 200rd break-in procedure and go from there.
Old October 15, 2012, 10:53 PM   #3
CWKahrFan

I have CW45 and CW9. I like 'em both a lot. I've run a few hundred rounds through them. Accuracy is very good. The 9 has performed absolutely 100% since out-of-box... .45 nearly so except for 2 stovepipes.

I use them both for SD... Have CrimsonTrace on the .45.

$241 is a whoppin' deal if it's truly NIB!... Buds gets $355 (+ @$25 for typical transfer = $380)

You might want to check out kahrtalk.com

IF THE SHOE FITS, WEAR IT!... IF THE GUN FITS, SHOOT IT!
Old October 16, 2012, 05:36 AM   #4
PSP

$241 sounds too good to be true. I'd be suspicious of the "new" claim. My two .45acp Kahrs both had some reliability problems. I also discovered that I couldn't shoot the pistols quickly at all. A tight, secure grip is reguired as the very light weight gun has some recoil.

I also put a grip sleeve on mine and it helped... good advice IMHO. The guns are accurate, the trigger smooth but long and the size is great for carry. I hope this turns out to be a good deal for you, at this price it should.
Old October 16, 2012, 08:56 AM   #5
jasmith85

Thanks for the information everyone. I'll definitely look around for one of the grip sleeves. I'm pretty confident that it really is new. I won it in a no reserve auction on gunbroker from a seller I've bought from before.
Old October 16, 2012, 09:35 AM   #6
Dan-O

I have a PM45 that I really like. Since this picture was taken I have dehorned the slide lock lever, and added a bit of bicycle inner-tubing to the grip.

Old October 16, 2012, 10:05 AM   #7
mavracer

I really like mine I cut about 1/2" off the bottom of the grip and use a PM45 5 round mag.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old October 16, 2012, 02:23 PM   #8
jtb1967

$241 is below current dealer price, so somebody messed up some where.
Old October 17, 2012, 09:27 AM   #9
EastKY_DO

How is it? LOUD!

Seriously, I haven't had mine long, but I've not had any problems with it thru about 200 rounds of ball and Remington JHPs.
A ship in the harbor is safe but that is not what ships are for.
Old October 17, 2012, 03:33 PM   #10
vyse.04

I like my CW45. At the first range visit I had problems with the slide lock lever coming out after firing because a spring that holds the lever in place was not working properly. In less than a week I got a replacement spring, and it has been 100% since then.

Personally, I don't think it is the handcannon some people make it out to be. I have had range sessions of over 200 rounds, and my hands felt fine afterwards. Still, you may prefer the grip sleeve. It is everything I could want in a compact .45.