The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 5, 2012, 02:11 PM   #1
mrt949

Out of all of your revolvers

What makes the certain one your favorite.
Caliber=large or small
Action type = single or double
Barrel length = 2"to 10''
Finish= blue, stainless ,nickel .

Last edited by mrt949; June 6, 2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old June 5, 2012, 02:29 PM   #2
aarondhgraham

Everything but the finish,,,

Everything is important to me except for the finish.

I like the .38 Special cartridge,,,
A 4" double-action revolver seems ideal to me,,,
The finish doesn't matter as I own a blue and stainless version.

Model 15 - 67 S&W Combat Masterpiece.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old June 5, 2012, 02:35 PM   #3
jimbob86

Colt Trooper Mk III, I like it best because of the trigger.

http://nefirearm.com/
Old June 5, 2012, 02:38 PM   #4
PawPaw

It depends on what I'm doing.

Right now, my Model 38 is in my pocket. It's a perfect carry piece for jeans and tee shirt.

For woods cruising, my SBH gets the nod. Many times, the Mod 38 is in my pocket and the big Ruger is on my hip.

I'm married to a single woman, I don't have to choose a single handgun.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old June 5, 2012, 02:45 PM   #5
aarondhgraham

Gonna try and make jimbob86 drool,,,

Rowena and Raquel,,,

Raquel is the 4" in .357 Mag,,,
Rowena is the 6" in .22 LR.

Aarond

Old June 5, 2012, 02:49 PM   #6
jimbob86

I do want a Trooper in .22lr .... but it's way down the list....

http://nefirearm.com/
Old June 5, 2012, 03:50 PM   #7
Webleymkv

Honestly, my favorite holds its spot because it was my first and because I've found no other handgun that I can shoot as well or better. As I said in another thread, picking up this revolver is like shaking hands with an old friend.

Smith & Wesson Model 28-2 "Highway Patrolman" .357 Magnum
Old June 5, 2012, 04:10 PM   #8
aarondhgraham

That model 28 is so pretty,,,

I've seen that picture before,,,
It always makes me drool a little bit.

I feel the same way about my Model 15,,,
It fits my smallish hands a bit better than the 28.

Quote:
...picking up this revolver is like shaking hands with an old friend.
Very well put.

Aarond

Old June 5, 2012, 05:21 PM   #9
PawPaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webleymkv
Honestly, my favorite holds its spot because it was my first and because I've found no other handgun that I can shoot as well or better. As I said in another thread, picking up this revolver is like shaking hands with an old friend.
How could I forget my Model 28? Absolutely wonderful revolver, it's also a favorite.

I'm glad I don't have to choose between revolvers.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old June 5, 2012, 06:39 PM   #10
stu925

My favorite is my S&W 25-5 in .45 Colt. Barrel is 8 3/8" which makes the thing shoot like a rifle. It's my favorite because it was my father's and he gave it to me and I love everything about it.
Old June 5, 2012, 06:47 PM   #11
old bear

As all of my handguns are Smith and Wesson double action .357 Magnums, my answer is easy.
Old June 5, 2012, 06:48 PM   #12
dnsharpshooter

I only have 1 revolver but...

I absolutely LOVE it! Smith and Wesson Model 10-10, made in March 1992. .38 special is easy to shoot, and inexpensive (have a friend that reloads, 200 rounds for $35!!!). 4 inch barrel I think is the perfect barrel length for a revolver, though I've shot many revolvers ranging from a 3" Ruger GP100 to the big 8 3/8" Smith and Wesson 586. My 10 was a police trade in from Buds, I touched up the bluing and put on a set of Ahrends Retro Combat grips, it looks amazing! (I wish i had pictures to post, the gun is at my grandpa's house, mom doesn't want guns in the house )
Old June 5, 2012, 06:49 PM   #13
willmc33

My favorite is my Smith & Wesson 638 .38 Special. The size of the gun, the cartidge, ease of carry, shootability. All of that in a gun that I can have on me regardless of what I am wearing in whatever climate, can be fired from inside of a jacket pocket, has a long background behind the design. All that makes it my favorite revolver.
Old June 5, 2012, 07:02 PM   #14
Salmoneye

My beat up, 3rd owner, 4 5/8" Liberty Blackhawk in .357...

The damn thing just 'speaks' to me...
Old June 5, 2012, 07:03 PM   #15
rclark

What makes it a favorite ... Well, must first be a .45 Colt (no way around that one!) . Then it must shoot well (better than I can do). Must have a 5 1/2" barrel length at least. Feel right in the hands. Must be a single action (what else is there?). Good trigger pull. That narrows it down some..... Then the frame size must be right. Only one left that fits that criteria at the moment... My Ruger medium frame flattop .45 Convertible. Yep that makes it my favorite.... at this time of course!
A clinger. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes improperly referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. Ok.... the .44Spec is growing on me ... but the .45 Colt is still king.
Old June 5, 2012, 07:21 PM   #16
BIG P

True shooting,fit & feel,plenty of power,reliability,Tuff as a pine knot.
My Ruger super Redhawk does all that.
Old June 5, 2012, 07:30 PM   #17
Hawg

44-40
single action
5 1/2
blue

Old June 5, 2012, 07:32 PM   #18
Shotgun693

For hunting, open carry or competition one of my Colt's, .45 5 1/2" barrel.
For everyday carry, under my shirt, my S&W M65 .357.
Old June 5, 2012, 07:43 PM   #19
Jack O'Conner

I like my Taurus 357 MAG for its accurasy and good balance.

Jack

Old June 5, 2012, 07:54 PM   #20
Super Sneaky Steve

I love all my babies but I'd say my 6" GP100 makes me feel the most capable because it's so easy to shoot and makes me feel like a dead eye marksman. I also love the cartridge. I like knowing it can shoot through an engine block or take out the meanest of animals.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GP100.jpg (89.6 KB, 71 views)
Old June 5, 2012, 08:11 PM   #21
22-rimfire

My favorites include the following: Blue 4" Colt Diamondback because it shoots wonderfully and was my first Colt; Blue S&W 8 3/8" M57 because I can shoot it better than any big bore revolver I own and it so happens was my first S&W; 6" Blue Colt Trooper Mark III 357 mag because it has a wonderful trigger and the gun just feels right in my hand.

But which one do I like the best... it would have to be the 4" Diamondback.
Old June 5, 2012, 08:29 PM   #22
GM2

My favorite among the six S&W revolvers I have is my Model 64 it has been my go to revolver for several years. .38 / 38 + P - D/A - 4'' bull barrel - Stainless

However,I do like all 6 of them.
Old June 5, 2012, 08:38 PM   #23
WC145

My favorite revolver is this Austin Behlert custom S&W M25-2 .45acp snubby. If you want to carry a large frame big-bore revolver this one is just aout perfect.

“Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”
Old June 5, 2012, 09:46 PM   #24
Bill Akins

Regarding just revolvers, I've owned all kinds. Single actions and double actions. Colts, Charter Arms, Taurus', antique Italian Bodeo's, J.P. Sauer and sohns, Hi standards, Dan Wessons and model 29 Smith and Wessons. Some that I've shot a lot but never owned myself were model 28 S&W's and model 15 S&W's when I was in law enforcement. I currently own a S&W .38 special two inch barrel nickel "airweight", two Uberti single action, caliber .45 Colt hombres and several nickel with stainless cylinders Pietta 1860 BP revolvers. I like all of them.

Of course to answer your question, it depends on what I'm going to use the revolver for and if I want to conceal it or not. For lightweight carry and concealment the S&W .38 special snubby airweight wins. But if concealment is not an issue, then out of all the revolvers I own and have ever owned, I like my three S&W model 1917's the best. One is a commercial model in blue with 5 & 1/2 inch barrel, one is matte nickel also with 5 & 1/2 inch barrel and one is one I restored that is highly polished "in the white" with a cut snubby barrel .

Here's why I like them best.

1. Being .45 acp they throw a big 230 grain slug at an average of 830 fps with a lot of knockdown power (without having over-penetration) that is perfect for one shot knockdown against unarmored humans as well as most animals, unless you are shooting a big Buffalo, Grizzly bear, Elephant or Rhino. I haven't yet had occasion to, nor expect to have to shoot any of those.

2. Although they have a slightly longer hammer cycle than modern revolvers, as well as a fairly stiff factory hammer spring and trigger return spring (designed in a day when military primers were harder & thus they wanted assured ignition), with a Wolf kit lightened hammer spring as well as a Wolf lightened trigger return spring, their actions are slick as oil on a doorknob.

3. One huge advantage that they have over other revolvers is the extremely quick ability to eject and reload all six rounds in just a second using full moon clips. No fumbling around with single cartridges or bulky/finicky speed-loaders. That is a reloading advantage that cannot be over-stated. They can be ejected and reloaded about as fast as a magazine fed pistol. For 1917 that was many decades ahead of its time and still ahead of its time for most revolvers today that require single cartridge loading.

4. Being an "N" frame, they are big and the shape of their grip fits my big hands better than a smaller frame revolver. No problem keeping my pinky finger on the grip on a 1917.

5. They have an extremely robust action, are built like a tank, and have lasted from WW1 until now and still perform like they are supposed to.

6. I can shoot them single or double action. Single action for best accuracy and double action for speed and fast followup shots. Not being a magnum, muzzle blast and recoil is mild and followup shots are quicker than with a magnum. Although they don't have the penetration of a magnum (I think that's a good thing if a bystander happens to run behind your target in a gunfight or if you miss and your bullet goes into a wall or something rather then penetrating and hitting someone else) with their big slug they have comprobile knock down power.

7. They are a piece of history that still perform as well today as they did almost a century ago. Actually with the Wolf lightened spring kit, they perform even better than they did originally from the factory, and they were pretty good even from the factory, even by today's standards.

8. In my opinion, their fit and finish are superior to most revolvers built today. All three of mine have amazingly tight lockup on their cylinders with practically no movement and the matte nickel and in the white snubby were built in 1918 and the commercial model built somewhere between 1929 and 1938, and in my opinion they still beat any modern revolver as far as lockup, fit and finish. Even though I restored my snubby barrel 1917 from being rusty with a bent extractor rod, its cylinder still locks up tighter than any modern revolver and did so even before the restoration. In my opinion, manufacturers today simply do not spend the time nor cost to build nor fit revolvers today that are that precise on lockup, as they did in the days when the old school master craftsmen built the 1917 S&W's.

9. Having smooth fixed sights there is no sharp edges on a rear sight to snag on clothing, have to adjust or get out of whack. You just learn where that particular revolver hits and compensate. It ain't a rifle and isn't expected to have rifle accuracy. It is exactly what it was built to be....a big combat handgun throwing a big slug.

Those are my reasons for my liking them the best of any revolvers I own or have ever owned. I think they are good reasons, based on my experience of shooting a lot of revolvers. Other people's experiences and opinion may vary.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; June 5, 2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old June 6, 2012, 12:23 AM   #25
Redhawk5.5+P+

Double/single
5" barrel for good balance and accuracy.
I think it's a painted black finish.