The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 29, 2012, 09:46 AM   #26
BlueTrain

One.
Buy War Bonds.
Old September 29, 2012, 09:56 AM   #27
Microgunner

Depends, most at least 3 total, some more some less.
Old September 29, 2012, 10:20 AM   #28
spanishjames

This thread would've made a good poll. I like to have three to four mags per gun, but I only take two with me to the range. I don't mind reloading them there.
Old September 29, 2012, 10:30 AM   #29
wpsdlrg

I like to have 3 or 4, in total. Usually, 1 will be loaded with carry ammo (and I rotate which one it will be on a weekly basis), leaving the other 2 or 3 as extras....and for the range. I usually only use 2 at the range - it makes me slow down and be more deliberate - and saves ammo.
Old September 29, 2012, 10:40 AM   #30
mavracer

It depends on the guns use, I like to have 2X what I deam necessary for my purpose. Collectables get 2, small CCWs get 4 everything else has at least 6.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old September 29, 2012, 03:50 PM   #31
JC57

My minimum total for any gun I actually care to shoot is 3. If a gun only comes with one or two, then when doing cost comparisons I always add in the cost of the extras to bring up the total to 3.

So to answer the original question, I like two spares for each gun.

I do have some exception to that rule, so I guess it's more of a guideline. I have 4 mags for my Glock 22, just in case at some point in the future I can no longer buy them due to their capacity, and for my Beretta .25 I only have 2 mags, because it's an inherited gun and I have no particular interest in carrying or shooting it.
Old September 29, 2012, 03:59 PM   #32
Coltman 77

I have 8-10 mags for my home defense and carry handguns, less for safe queens.

Probably have 30 PMags plus 15 GI mags for my AR's.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old September 29, 2012, 04:38 PM   #33

After experiencing the 94AWB, for me the hard and fast rule is that all of my guns that require magazines have at least a dozen, plus the one in the gun.

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION
Old September 29, 2012, 05:05 PM   #34
lee n. field

Quote:
How many additional mags do you generally buy per gun?
Honestly, that depends on the price. If magazines are reasonable, I tend to stop at about 8. More expensive, it depends. At least 3, and I watch for bargains.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old September 29, 2012, 05:11 PM   #35
Venom1956

I sort of accumulate them? whenever its a good buy I'll grab some.

4ish for most guns

i have a pile of 1911 .45 mags. smaller pile of 9mm 1911 mags (those are pricey compared to .45 mags! )
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph.
Old September 29, 2012, 05:30 PM   #36
FairWarning

At least 3, not more than 4. You can't use 20.
Old September 29, 2012, 06:05 PM   #37
SouthernMarine

For my rifles I like to have at least two per rifle with a 20+ round capacity....my AR has 2 20 round mags, my .22 has 2 30 round mags (and 1 10 round) and my FS has 2 30 round mags.

For my pistols at least 2 with a 10 round capacity, but imho if you can't defend yourself against someone with 10 rounds it's best to leave the firearms at home.

Sent from my LGL75C using Tapatalk 2
Old September 29, 2012, 08:02 PM   #38
insomni

I like having 4 hi-cap mags for my pistol. This lets me keep 2 loaded (one in the gun, one in the box with it), and 2 empty. I swap them out weekly, in hopes of extending the spring life.

some how I ended up with 3 10 round mags which I have banished to the realm of Range-Only and they live in my range bag.

so I guess, ideally, I like having 4, in reality I have 7.
Old September 29, 2012, 08:14 PM   #39
MLeake

FairWarning, you certainly can use 20.

For instance, at an intensive shooting clinic. Load magazines in advance, minimize delays or maximize break time at the class.

I don't have 20 for any pistol, though.

I usually have at least 4 per gun, to allow rotation in the carry/spare slots.

For the guns I carry more often, I have more magazines, typically 6-10, because I will use those guns more at IDPA. Our local club usually has six courses of fire per meet, and almost all of those will require a reload. We have three shooting bays, so we shoot three courses of fire, then break to change up the target scenarios and shoot three more.

Having more magazines means I can simply grab fresh mags from my range bag, rather than load magazines between courses of fire.

So, with six mags I might make it through three courses of fire before needing to reload. With 8 or 9, I know I am good until the break when the ROs change the targets and scenarios.
Old September 29, 2012, 08:29 PM   #40
checkmyswag

At least one. Often more.
Old September 29, 2012, 09:49 PM   #41
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
You can't use 20.
I've used more than that, on occasion.

When I go to a match, I load the mags in advance. I find that loading mags at a match can be problematic for a number of reasons.

1. If the course of fire requires dropping magazine then you will have to reuse magazines that have been dropped. Dropping can expose mags to dirt which can cause malfunctions and can, in extreme cases result in their being damaged.

2. It's often true that there are no convenient places to sit down and open a box of ammo and gather your mags to load for the next stage. It's much easier to grab your empties, toss them in a bag and just grab a bunch more full ones for the next stage from another bag or another compartment in your bag.

3. Time spent loading magazines is better spent looking over the stage, watching other shooters to learn from their mistakes, rehydrating, making a rest stop between stages, or just relaxing and enjoying the experience and talking with your fellow competitors.

4. Wearing out your hands loading magazines isn't conducive to top performance, in my experience.

5. If the rules require a certain number of rounds to be loaded in the mag, it's easier to get everything right the night before rather than trying to manage it at the match.

I've taken 32 loaded magazines to a match on several occasions and used every one of them before the match was over.
Old September 29, 2012, 09:50 PM   #42
varoadking

Several...

...cases of them...
Old September 29, 2012, 09:56 PM   #43
KevK.

I start with 3 at a minimum, and then pick them up as I find them as bargins.
I will usually stop at 5 or 6 though.
Old September 30, 2012, 12:26 AM   #44
WoofersInc

I am not happy unless I have at least 10 mags for my handguns. I never carry without at least 2 extra mags. My main carry though is a 1911 of some sort, so I usually have 21-24 rounds on me depending on if it is a compact or full size.

As far as my rifles I have at least 20 for them and for certain guns I have more. For example I have close to 30 mags for each of my AR's. My Ak's have at least 40 each. Lowest centerfire rifle mag count for me is my HK93 with 15 mags.
Old September 30, 2012, 12:29 AM   #45
WoofersInc

We have all seen this

Last edited by WoofersInc; September 30, 2012 at 12:36 AM.
Old September 30, 2012, 04:30 AM   #46
SouthernMarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoofersInc View Post

We have all seen this
What has been seen cannot be unseen....I must have!

Sent from my LGL75C using Tapatalk 2
Old September 30, 2012, 08:10 AM   #47
rodfac

Generally, I want three...for use: two on the belt mag holder, and one in the gun...this works for woods loafing as well as most training scenarios...I load my own ammunition and am not a "blaster", but do go through some ammunition in practice as does my wife.

I don't compete, so JohnKSa's comments are valid as to mag loading at a match. I do know that completing Front Sight's 4-Day Defensive Handgun Course out in NV requires that you reload mags while observing your "partner" shooting...and it's an exercise in dexterity. For more relaxed training, three mag's do me well.

Best Regards, Rod
Old September 30, 2012, 08:33 AM   #48
rickyjames

for me i have two classification. class one: 22's and hunting/plinking guns. for these guns i consider 3 mags or 2 speedloaders sufficent. one in the gun and 2 spares seem enough to me.
for protection guns, revolvers get 2 speedloaders each while with my pistols i consider 5 to be my minimum, 1 in the gun and 4 backups. my little 380 has just a total of 3 while my 45 1911's have a dozen mags to divide between 4 1911's. since i never carry all 4 at the same time i have the ability to carry 1 in the gun and 4 backups if i feel the need. for normal day to day i never carry more than 2 backup mags/speedloaders. if i travel i take 4 additional mags. if tshtf i would carry 4 additional. i do have a couple of mag pouches that carry 4 mags to slip on my belt as well as double mag pouches.
Old September 30, 2012, 09:28 AM   #49
FairWarning

I was referring more to the Mall Ninja variety than organized competition when I said you can't use 20. When I took the Professional Engineer licensing exam, you were allowed to bring a bag or even dolly loaded with books to assist you (although of course you had only a vague idea what was on the exam). I recall seeing numerous people bringing dozens of thick books and still failing. They simply weren't prepared. And there wasn't enough time to look through dozens of books. Likewise, it's a bit amusing to imagine someone with 15-20 pistol mags strapped to him. Would be better to concentrate some effort in other areas.
Old September 30, 2012, 04:36 PM   #50
THORN74

For me, assuming one magazine came with the gun at purchase, I would buy at least two mags for a total of three. Many of my guns have more, but none have less. When I go for a range session I bring at least three mags per handgun.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2