The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 13, 2012, 09:06 AM   #1
MonsterB

Holstering a Sig 229

So I have mostly carried Glocks, but recently picked up a Sigg 229 Extreme that I am very impressed with. Only bad thing I can say about it is the decocker often catches on the holster during reholstering. I have been using a cheap Tagua opentop owb, and a sweet Mitch Rossin Iwb. Anyone have or had this problem have a reccomendation for a solution, like a certain holster or technique?
Old October 13, 2012, 09:15 AM   #2
NO-BODY

Good gun. I am a lefty so I don't have a problem with the decocker but do like that it sticks out a bit. Never had to do a quick-holster, so just practice a little (empty please) and you will learn how to slide it in with out snags. Better quality holster designs take this stuff into the design features of the holster.
Old October 13, 2012, 09:26 AM   #3
TunnelRat

Quote:
I have been using a cheap Tagua opentop owb
Might be the source of your problem...

Are both of these holsters specifically molded for the P229? A good holster for a gun is like a good set of tires for a sports car. They're essential.
Old October 13, 2012, 09:39 AM   #4
MonsterB

Thi Mitch is a pretty nice holster, handmade and pricey for the 229. Got it at the Sig Pro shop. It is actually molded and has a space for the decocker. Definitely works much better then the Tagua. Was mostly just wondering if anyone had reccomendations for good holsters. I will probably get another Mitch owb and toss the Tagua.
Old October 13, 2012, 09:43 AM   #5
TunnelRat

Well I really like the Crossbreed holsters. Good for IWB, stays put, relatively thin but very comfortable. Probably my favorite all around. They make versions for P229s with and without the rail for a better fit. If yours has a rail send me a PM and I'll sell you mine for like 1/2 price. Had to sell my SIGs.
Old October 13, 2012, 10:38 AM   #6
Mystro

I use a Blackhawk Serpa and a leather DeSanis that work well.
Old October 13, 2012, 01:24 PM   #7
RC20

Something to think about for future and others is the HK has a button for de-cock.

I love my Sig, but the button is more out of the way.

Not as easy to use so a trade off.

You should be able to get a good holster that works though.
Old October 13, 2012, 03:11 PM   #8
Departed402

I'd say get a better holster. As far as technique goes, I was taught to put your thumb on the hammer (to ensure no movement) or back of the gun, and put your trigger finger pointing out and away from the gun so as there is no chance your finger will accidentally actuate the trigger.
Old October 13, 2012, 03:26 PM   #9
9mm1033

I have a Blade-Tech I used for competition shooting and never had such an experience as you described. My best guess for a proper fit is to buy quality, and one molded for the 229. An expensive Sig shouldn't be placed and carried in a junk holster.
Old October 13, 2012, 07:33 PM   #10
ritepath

I use this type of Tagua holster with my 229...no problems. I love this little holster. They really can't get much better for casual concealment.
Old October 14, 2012, 07:39 AM   #11
dpadams6

Congrats on your new sig. One of the best. You will certainly like.
Old October 14, 2012, 07:51 AM   #12
rodfac

Re-holstering can be a safety problem...and yours sounds like it might be as well. For myself, I mentally re-holster following the NV based, Front Sight's, recommendation, "holster reluctantly", since the fight might not be over...and our line instructors added to that the following, do it slowly, like you were concerned that there might be some obstruction in there. The last thing you want is a negligent discharge in the direction of your knee caps etc.

Sounds like you need a dedicated holster, made specifically for your make and model of handgun. I've had good luck with "Blade Tech", a kydex type that's fully adjustable for belt size and shape. They make a variety of models that may suit your preferences.

HTH's Rodfac