The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 29, 2012, 02:00 PM   #26
Zhillsauditor

Quote:
If I can do it, anybody can do it.
Well, we can agree on that.
Old September 30, 2012, 09:30 AM   #27
m_liebst

Quote:
Yes, it is. And the Mark III, with mag safety, is even worse than the Mark II--you actually have to insert the magazine into the pistol to reassemble it.

And this is what makes it so hard?!!!

Nothing terrible about cleaning and taking apart any of the Ruger MKs. It's literally 3 steps to take the bolt out for cleaning my MK lll, then 4 steps to reassemble it.

How challenging is this really to you, or is it really that ya hate the fact that Ruger decided upon installing this un-needed device.

I agree the LCI is un-needed, but it's still very easy to take apart/ reassemble.

Last edited by m_liebst; September 30, 2012 at 09:38 AM.
Old September 30, 2012, 11:23 AM   #28
TheBear

I think im gonna take the single ten. it just feels better
I really dont like the grip of the mk3...
Old September 30, 2012, 11:43 AM   #29
redmond

Quote:
I think im gonna take the single ten. it just feels better
I really dont like the grip of the mk3...
Bingo - that is what matters. A gun that fits you is the one you will use.

I have both and in my hands the MK III 22/45 is more accurate and a better range gun, but seems harder to carry around. So, the 22/45 goes to the range and the single 10 gets carried. Easy solution.

I agree that while the MK III is very different than other semiautos to disassemble/reassemble, it ain't that tough, just RTFM (read the fine manual). I take it apart after each range trip (about 2x per week) - yes, I know that is overkill.
Old September 30, 2012, 01:21 PM   #30
Zhillsauditor

Quote:
How challenging is this really to you, or is it really that ya hate the fact that Ruger decided upon installing this un-needed device.
Not challenging at all; I buy and sell guns quite often, and the first thing I do when I buy a gun is to disassemble it. Inserting a magazine into a gun and pulling the tigger as part of reassembly is strange at best, and dangerous at worst. Of course, now I will be told it's dangerous if you are stupid enough to leave a round in the magazine. Which, of course, isn't the point. I have very little problems with safety devices (e.g. the S&W internal locks on their revolvers do not concern me in the least, but many hate it).

I do not understand the strong following of the pistol. I don't mean I don't understand why people like the pistol--I understand that. But the gun is just a decent plinker, with some advantages and some disadvantages. There are five to ten other target pistols in the market that are comparable, yet none have the type of fanboyism that the Ruger produces (well, maybe the S&W model 41 crowd).

This post is not an invitation to convince me that the ruger deserves all the praise the fanboys heap upon it. I am familiar with the weapon, and I dislike it for a number of reasons, and respect it for a number of other reasons.

I will say that if you did disassemble the Single Ten, it is much more difficult than the Mark 3 IMO. But there is very little need to disassemble the revolver--I doubt one out of every ten single six/ten owners have disassembled their revolvers.
Old September 30, 2012, 03:57 PM   #31
three-fifty-seven

Why don't you get the best of both world's and get a Ruger SP101 or Smith and Wesson/Taurus equivalent?
Old September 30, 2012, 09:55 PM   #32
TennJed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhillsauditor View Post
Not challenging at all; I buy and sell guns quite often, and the first thing I do when I buy a gun is to disassemble it. Inserting a magazine into a gun and pulling the tigger as part of reassembly is strange at best, and dangerous at worst. Of course, now I will be told it's dangerous if you are stupid enough to leave a round in the magazine. Which, of course, isn't the point. I have very little problems with safety devices (e.g. the S&W internal locks on their revolvers do not concern me in the least, but many hate it).

I do not understand the strong following of the pistol. I don't mean I don't understand why people like the pistol--I understand that. But the gun is just a decent plinker, with some advantages and some disadvantages. There are five to ten other target pistols in the market that are comparable, yet none have the type of fanboyism that the Ruger produces (well, maybe the S&W model 41 crowd).

This post is not an invitation to convince me that the ruger deserves all the praise the fanboys heap upon it. I am familiar with the weapon, and I dislike it for a number of reasons, and respect it for a number of other reasons.

I will say that if you did disassemble the Single Ten, it is much more difficult than the Mark 3 IMO. But there is very little need to disassemble the revolver--I doubt one out of every ten single six/ten owners have disassembled their revolvers.
I think a lot of the fanboyism with the Mark series has to do with it has been an extremely durable pistol and a fair price for several decades. It is easy to find lots if examples of them having uncountable rounds through them. If taken care of they will last several generations. That is part of the appeal. We see older used models everywhere. Lots of us remember getting them as kids. Add to they they are as good as any in their price range and you get a loyal following.

Other companies do 22lr handguns right but Ruger has been doing it right for decades at a good price.
Old October 1, 2012, 04:04 PM   #33
pete2

I find the single six to be much easier to disassemble and reassemble than the MKII. The Ruger single actions are extremely easy to work on compared to a MKII. Just replacing a mainspring in a MKII takes longer than the whole single action. I can probably do 3 single actions faster than one MKII.
Old October 1, 2012, 04:24 PM   #34
aarondhgraham

Guys at gun stores,,, Sheesh!

Quote:
The guy at the gunstore said he would pick a mark3 over a .22 wheelgun anytime because the old revolver technology just cant keep up with pistols,
The guy at the gun store is not giving you anything,,,
Except his own personal opinion,,,
A sad one at that.

Comparing revolver technology with semi-auto technology is a non sequitur,,,
The two do not compare at all.

I would bet money that if one were to put those two handguns in a Ransom Rest,,,
The difference in accuracy would be negligible if at all.

They are both Rugers so they are built strong like tanks,,,
If you want the ability to shoot special ammo,,,
Get the revolver and don't look back.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old October 2, 2012, 02:09 PM   #35
223 shooter

Quote:
I would bet money that if one were to put those two handguns in a Ransom Rest,,,
The difference in accuracy would be negligible if at all.
Gunblast tested the Single Ten in a Ranson Rest with these results. Pretty impressive considering 10 shot groups. Regardless, when it comes to the betting money I'd go with the MK series semi-auto.

Ammunition Group Size
Federal Bulk HP 1.06"
Win. DynaPoint HP 1.43"
PMC Match Solid 1.43"
Wolf Match Solid 1.00"
CCI Mini-Mag HP 0.81"
CCI Mini-Mag Solid 1.12"
Rem.Hi-Speed Solid 1.25"
CCI Velocitor HP 40 1.10"

Quote:
I do not understand the strong following of the pistol. I don't mean I don't understand why people like the pistol--I understand that.
Old October 4, 2012, 12:03 AM   #36
m_liebst

Quote:
Ammunition Group Size
Federal Bulk HP 1.06"
Win. DynaPoint HP 1.43"
PMC Match Solid 1.43"
Wolf Match Solid 1.00"
CCI Mini-Mag HP 0.81"
CCI Mini-Mag Solid 1.12"
Rem.Hi-Speed Solid 1.25"
CCI Velocitor HP 40 1.10

How far?!? 10 yards, 12, 15 or....?

I've done 10 shot groups CTC under an inch a few times with the MKlll
at 25 yards with CCI SV , Minimags, and Fiocchi SM320

Last edited by m_liebst; October 4, 2012 at 12:09 AM.
Old October 4, 2012, 07:11 AM   #37
Magnum Wheel Man

OK... as far as accuracy goes ( BTW... I own an old Ruger Gov Target Model... & a New Single 10 )

my auto is more accurate than my revolver ( in my hands ) ... & I normally shoot a revolver better than an auto... I'm guessing most who shoot both will find the same thing

( no the single 10 does not come with a mag cylinder )

yes the autos are difficult to strip, if you don't do it very much... if you shoot the gun alot, after a couple times, it'll be a piece of cake... I save my strip instructions in the case my auto is in, because I don't shoot it as much as several other guns... but in all fairness, I don't find the need to fully strip it every time I shoot it either... BTW... I have after market rubber grips on my auto & like the grip feel alot ( again this is still a revolver guy talking )

faster reloads... it's actually much faster to reload a 10 round magazine than it is to load 10 into the single action cylinder... the clicks on the gun don't line up with the chambers, & they are so close together, that I often find I went too far, & need to do a full rotation to get the cylinder fully loaded...

I find the single 10 to be a "neat" gun, but much less practical than the single six when it comes to actual shooting & I think I'm going to keep my old auto as well... as far as shootability, the auto takes it...

however as far as those reduced loads & specialty ammo, I think you'll find the revolvers can handle whatever you want to run through them, & the semi will in effect be a single shot with most of it

& BTW... the gun store guy that commented on the revolver... blaaa blaaa... if it were me, I'd let the verbage he's spewing go in one ear & out the other... it's too bad, but I hear just about as much "crap" coming out of the mouths of gun store employees, as I do ingnorant customers

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; October 4, 2012 at 07:21 AM.
Old October 4, 2012, 10:18 AM   #38
223 shooter

Quote:
How far?!? 10 yards, 12, 15 or....?
Sorry about that! The above listed gunblast accuracy results were fired at 25 yards.
Old October 4, 2012, 09:47 PM   #39
m_liebst

Quote:
Sorry about that! The above listed gunblast accuracy results were fired at 25 yards.
Damn good groupings at that

Thanks
Old October 4, 2012, 09:55 PM   #40
BoomieMCT

I have a Ruger MkII and I've had it for a very long time. It used to be the gun I kept on my hip when I did work around my folk's farm (which includes a lot of varmint removal) until I got a .22 wheelgun (in this case an old H&R Sportsman 999). Now I only take my MkII out for occasional range duty. It's a great gun and the most reliable .22 automatic I've ever seen, but I prefer my .22 wheelgun for most work duties.