The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 27, 2012, 06:37 PM   #1
flyboyjake

.50AE in a .50 Beowulf chamber

What do you think guys... Can I shot a 50ae in a beowulf chamber? Its not on the saami list. They are both rebated rims to my knowledge. I know the head space issues, but to be frank, with a strong extractor, I dont consider it a real issue... Would you equate it to shooting a 40sw from a 10mm? Or is there something more insidious here?
Old September 27, 2012, 07:19 PM   #2
Technosavant

Just because they share a couple characteristics (.50 bullet, rebated rim) doesn't mean it's workable.

Rim diameter on the Beowulf is rather smaller than the AE... I doubt you'd get a Beowulf bolt to match up to the AE... the extractor may not grab, the firing pin may not reach. Case diameter is also larger on the AE than the Beowulf (the AE is somewhat tapered)... the round probably wouldn't chamber at all.

Even if you could chamber the thing I still wouldn't. It just doesn't seem like a good idea.
Old September 27, 2012, 08:29 PM   #3
flyboyjake

seems you're right. Thanks. I thought they had the same fundamental measurements. Thanks for again.