The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 26, 2012, 08:34 PM   #1
rmocarsky

scoping a Nylon 66

Gunners,

I have an old Remington Nylon 66 and am thinking about scoping it as I don't like the all black open sights.

Are these rifles capable of the accuracy that a scope would afford an "accurate" rifle?

I inherited the rifle and have only fired it when I was a teen . . . about 45 years ago and I cannot recall its accuracy.

I guess what I am asking is whether a Remington Nylon 66 has respectable accuracy potential.

Rmocarsky
Old September 27, 2012, 01:05 AM   #2
Scorch

Not really. The scopes clamp to the stamped sheet metal receiver cover, and the barrel is anchored by a stirrup-shaped hold-down tensioned by a screw. The Nylon 66's barrel flops around all over the place when you shoot, not so much of a problem with the barrel-mounted iron sights because the front sight moves with the barrel so the rifle stays kind of accurate, but the scope never moves and is not attached to the barrel, so you point of aim rarely coincides with the direction the barrel is pointed. Nylon 66s are generally not accurate when scoped as designed to be scoped.

What you can do with a Nylon 66, however, is trade it for something like a CZ 452 or a Remington 504 or even a Savage, and by doing so you can turn a Nyon 66 into an accurate rifle.
Taylor Machine
Old September 27, 2012, 12:14 PM   #3
James K
Staff

My experience has been quite a bit better. No one ever claimed the Nylon 66 was a target rifle, but mine shoots right well with a little Bushnell 4x scope mounted on the receiver cover. Keeping the barrel lock screw tight is important.

Jim
Old September 27, 2012, 04:14 PM   #4
Metal god

As of this date 8-18-14 at 6:42am I became a proud grandfather I guess I'm officially old
Old September 27, 2012, 07:55 PM   #5
POKEYJOE04

I had one back in the 1960's that never worked well with a scope. I painted the back of the front sight tip white, and that worked pretty good. I put lots of ammunition through that rifle, and as far as I can remember, it never malfunctioned in any way.
Old September 27, 2012, 09:19 PM   #6
Mobuck

I beg to differ concerning the potential accuracy of the Nylon 66. As accurate(or more) than about any self loading 22. Results seen with scope mounted varies due to tolerances and fit of the action cover. If properly tightened, the action cover provides a suitable mounting platform(not perfect but useable). Tightening MUST be a compromise since over torquing will strip threads or break the screws. I would suggest a compact type scope to reduce the stress and help prevent the cover from loosening due to the added strain of supporting the bigger scopes.
Take a look at GunDigest Sept 10,2012 issue(pg 24-25) for some shooting tests-those are/were my rifles featured in that review.