The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 26, 2012, 04:41 PM   #1
Rustle in the Bushes

School me on the BAR(commercial version)

as a lefty Ive been unable to find something I really love as far as bolt actions go. I want a 7lb ish 30-06 that will be used for hunting, and downloaded (I reload) for target practice. Remington(quality), savage(looks), Ruger(hate the action) and winchester (no left hand) have left me feeling cool. The X bolt is too light for what I want, and Im thinking the BAR will even soak up some recoil with it's gas system.

So, as a reloader who wants to load his 30-06 down how limiting is the gas system on these? I worry about not having enough oomph to cycle the action. Anything else I should know about em?
Old September 27, 2012, 08:34 AM   #2
Olympus

I'm probably not going to tell you what you want to hear and my experience is probably not typical. A few years ago, I bought a brand new BAR in .25-06 and got the Safari grade with the engraving on the receiver. The wood, bluing, and engraving were simply stunning. Best looking gun I had ever bought. I put a Burris one piece base, Burris rings, and a Burris scope on it and it was one sharp looking gun.

When I went to sight it in, the gun would not group. Not at all. I mean it would go from one side of the paper to the other. I tried different ammo brands and even went out and bought a Caldwell Lead Sled to make sure it wasn't just my shooting. None of this helped. I kept it for a few months but it just bugged me to have a gun that wouldn't hold a group so I ended up selling it.

No doubt they are gorgeous guns, but I doubt I will ever buy another one.
Old September 27, 2012, 12:22 PM   #3
603Country

I had a BAR in 270 for maybe 10 years. I handloaded for it, using small base dies, 130 gr Nosler BT's over a moderate load of IMR4064. It was a very good shooter, grouping at about an inch, and I took a lot of deer with it at ranges of up to about 400 yards. My Dad had one in 308 and also took many deer over many years. We both got rid of our BAR's and went to bolt action rifles. I transitioned because I was getting more and more into reloading and wanted a bolt gun. Dad switched due to the weight of the BAR and went to a Ruger Ultralight in 270. The gas system did soak up a good bit of the recoil. The downside of the BAR, and any semiauto, is that it takes a good bit more cleaning than a bolt gun does. That didn't apply to Dad, since he never cleaned anything, but I was big into cleaning.

As to downloading, I think that if you are selective on powder burn rate and bullet size, you can tailor a rather light load that will still cycle the action. That'll probably take a little trial and error or maybe somebody on the forum or on Google already has the info you need.
Old September 27, 2012, 01:04 PM   #4
Que

I had a 1993 Safari in 270. It was beautiful, and for me a bit too beautiful with the blued steel, engraving, and wood with a glass finish. I worked with the rifle a little, and although it was a great shooting rifle I got rid of it in favor of getting something a bit more plain. This week I picked up out of a weeks layaway, a 1989 Type 2 (not a Mark II) BAR in 270. It's a plain Jane, but just what I wanted. The metal cleaned up beautifully and the stock is now refinished with a practical satin finish. I have added a DNZ GameReaper mount and it will have a Leupold 3-9x40 VX-III scope.

Besides being a rifle that I won't be afraid to muss up a bit (as I can repair the wood finish myself), it is also going to be much more practical. My Safari with the steel receiver was a pretty doggone heavy rifle. In comparison, the my Type 2 seems so much lighter due to what I believe is an aluminum receiver.

My recommendation is that if this is going to be a rifle that is going to be carried for any distances it might be a good idea to consider an earlier aluminum reciever Type 1 or 2 or one of the newer aluminum framed ones avoiding the much heavier Safari.

I'm hoping this 270 will be the equal to my old fancy one as it was a real treat to shoot.
Old September 27, 2012, 07:05 PM   #5
Daggitt

I have been hunting with a BAR 30-06 since 97 and I really like it. It groups about an inch at 100 yds. I have milder handloads that function fine in the rifle. I bought a Remington 700 on sale and used that one fall because it was new. I did not like it as much. The recoil was a lot greater. I didn't feel like the small increase in accuracy was worth using the bolt. My BAR has a really nice fold out magazine. It's handy to pop it out , eject the shell in the chamber and stick the rifle in the case. Don't have to unload the whole magazine. I highly reccomend the BAR.
Old September 28, 2012, 08:07 AM   #6
cat9x

I've hunted with both MkI (grade II) and MkII (Safari) BAR's. Both rifles consistently grouped under an inch at 100 yards with factory loaded Federal ammunition.

In all the years and rounds combined I have never had a single malfunction. I also have never disassembled the action for a cleaning either. I do clean the bore and bolt face regularly. Rest of the action I do the best I can with Q-tips.

My MKII Safari in .270 has the BOSS system and it recoils about like a 243, very light. I'm bias, but I recommend them!