The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 26, 2012, 08:35 PM   #1
Stillhunter

358 Hoosier ?

Did a search on this forum, but nothing came up. Suppose to be a shortened 358 Win to accommodate the 1.8 max. cartridge length in Indiana. Legal for firearm season.
Does anyone have any info or possibly have a rifle chambered for it? If so,what do you think of it?
I,ll Google later,but I want to start here first.
Old September 26, 2012, 10:40 PM   #2
taylorce1

Are you sure it isn't a .358 IDH (Indiana Deer Hunter)? IIRC it is a .358 WSSM as it meets the caliber and case length requirements to hunt deer in Indiana with a centerfire rifle. It wouldn't surprise me if there was a shortened .358 Win wildcat out there for Indiana hunting.
Old September 26, 2012, 11:50 PM   #3
old roper

Stillhunter, Got the wrong site here what your looking for

http://www.shootersforum.com/wildcat...dy-launch.html
Old September 27, 2012, 03:03 PM   #4
doofus47

If i read that link right, 25wssm is legal length straight out of the box (as it were).

Am I reading it wrong?
Old September 27, 2012, 08:34 PM   #5
Stillhunter

DSC_5627.jpg

HoosierDies01.jpg Old Roper,that link is over 2years old,back when max cartridge length was 1.625,now it,s 1.8.
Most of my info has come from co-workers.From what I hear all you need is short action in the 308 Win family,send it to gun shop somewhere in Indiana and they fit the barrel.The brass can be trimmed down from 358 Win.
Here,s a couple of pics my co-worker sent me.The one pick makes you wonder,should I let these guys work on my firearm?
Old September 27, 2012, 09:20 PM   #6
old roper

Stillhunter, I'm in Co but I've followed little on the short 358 on shooter forum. If you do a search on that forum you find more information on what your looking for and that's the reason I post that site.
Old September 28, 2012, 02:47 AM   #7
FrankenMauser

So, there's this "old" cartridge called .35 Remington, that would only have to be trimmed 0.120" to be legal......
(If I understand the discussions on several forums properly; it's a case length requirement, not an OAL requirement.)
And if it has to be a wildcat, you can have a machinist/gunsmith stamp the barrel ".35 Remington Hairball" or ".35 Remington-Midget"... or anything else you want.

Call me lazy, but I'd rather trim .35 Remington brass, than rechamber and reconfigure an entire rifle, pay for custom dies, and deal with an absolute wildcat for nothing more than skirting a law that's guaranteed to change again.

Last edited by FrankenMauser; September 28, 2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old September 28, 2012, 05:49 AM   #8
Mayor Al

Is this considered "re-inventing the wheel"? Considering the cost of modifcation, would it not make more economic sense to purchase a firearm in one of the standard calibers rather than develope the 'custom' round?
Old September 28, 2012, 09:03 AM   #9
Stillhunter

Wow, did a quick search,lots of 358,s kittens out there.The Hoosier is the only one I see a trade mark on it.From what I,ve read this one is going to try to be more commercialized.How,what, when,and where,who knows?I don,t think I,ll see any 358 hoosier ammo in local gun shops any time soon.Sounds like fun though,if you,ve got the money&time.I think I,ll just put it to rest for now.